17 Reasons to Watch Lawrence of Arabia

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PhilBorder, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I offered a full review with my feelings - agree or disagree, at least I've offered the rationale behind my opinion.

On the other hand, you've offered emojis...

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I totally disagree. It's a great film with great songs!
    :D ;) :cool: :agree: :love: :wave: :righton: :goodie: :thumbsup: :edthumbs: :wiggle: :uhhuh: :pineapple: :tiphat: :shtiphat:

3. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Do it ! And "LOA" would be the perfect film to play for a first spin

mpayan and audiomixer like this.
  4. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Interestingly, Pauline Kael, who generally HATED the big musicals of the 1960s (she wasn't even that keen on "West Side Story") actually loved "Oliver !"

Ghostworld and audiomixer like this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member Thread Starter

why don't I start an "Oliver" thread so we can talk about LOA there?

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thanks to this thread, I just ordered the BluRay. This is what I've been making do with:

[​IMG]

jtiner, The Hud and PH416156 like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there are a lot of huge, successful terrible films a lot worse than Oliver, so I agree with you.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

Seen this many times in various Calendar Theaters. A tremendous, expansive journey.
    Surely the film to expose all the flaws of a movie screen.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Finally saw this weekend that it's coming to a nearby 'art house' theater for one night in August. Screen is nowhere as big as the one I saw in the 80's when the restored version went around, but it will have to do. No struggle from the wife, she's heard me for years telling her you 'this is the ONE movie you have to see on a screen'.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yep, that's the DVD version I had too. Not bad as DVDs go, but the BD is far superior in every way. "The trick, Mr. Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I've seen it many times, but personally I think the film takes a nosedive after the rape. I know we're talking history here, not fiction, so what can you do? But it's still kind of a bummer once it gets "dark."

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's actually a very dark film; sort of the "Lord of the Flies" of cinema. It's visually a real treat, but if you're not in the mood for something very heavy probably best to watch something else.

bhazen likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I get buoyed by the great adventure of the first half and then that veil falls over the film. I remember seeing that movie as a kid with my father at the theater and suddenly getting "confused" by the rape scene and leaving the theater feeling kind of "weird." The feeling still permeates the second part of the film for me.

14. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

As my DVD's in the loft, it was quicker and more convenient to just order the Blu-Ray :)

15. As Roger Ebert said in his Great Movies review, there's not a wasted word in this film. I love the dialogue between Sharif and Peter O'Toole in the scene mentioned above at the well:
    "He is dead".
    "Yes. Why?"
    "This is my well."
    "I have drunk from it."
    "You are welcome".
    "He was my friend".
    "That?"
    "Yes. That."
    I'm quoting from memory, but you get the idea.

It's breathtaking. I can't think of a better introduction to Blu-ray than LOA.

Again. Blu-ray. I usually watch it over two or three days.

bhazen likes this.
  16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, a truly great film.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Is the top blu-ray available on Amazon the way to go for this one, now? I have a nice recent (ten years ago?) DVD (20-bit, or something), and only a 24" screen.

Not quite the reaction I had when I saw the film in its year of release ('63?), when I was ten; but I agree with you generally. This is a film for adults, made in an age when serious films were. Not like now, when everything apart from some arthouse films seems made for teens and maybe twentysomethings.

That 'veil' fell over T.E.L. himself in real life, to a great extent. He was always haunted by his experiences in the Middle East, finally finding a measure of peace not long before his death. Leaving the events at Dera'a out, and continuing in a triumphant vein, would've made the film fiction.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Vidiot likes this.
  18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I, too, bought a DVD version--hi-bit rate--some years ago and it was the best at the time. Sony, however, went through a meticulous 8K scan 0f the original film elements for the 50th Anniversary, taking some 3 years to do digital restoration. I believe it went to theaters in 4k resolution. The Blu-ray edition was taken from this latest effort and visibly surpasses the DVD (assuming you have a high definition screen). This is one film worth paying for video upgrades!

bhazen likes this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Good to hear! :) Lawrence (along with Gandhi) are my very favourite films.

20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

4k blu-ray doesn't play on a 'standard' blu-ray player and TV, right?

21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That's right. You need a 4K Blu-ray player and a 4K TV... and while you're at it, you might as well upgrade to a 4K A/V receiver!

I hope my other post (above) wasn't confusing; I was talking about the release to theaters in 4K after the restoration. The current U.S. Blu-ray of Lawrence is a standard (1080p) Blu-ray -- not 4K. If you have a regular Blu-ray player and a TV that is HD (720p or better), then you can play that one.

Amazon has a 4K download of the film available (requiring massive gigabytes of storage) and a 4K streaming option. The only 4K Blu-ray I've seen is available in Japan. I'm sure a U.S. version will be forthcoming soon.

22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

No, your post was clear. :) I looked on Amazon earlier today, and there appears to be a 4k blu-ray disc of Lawrence ... priced at $129(!!). Actually it says, "mastered in 4k".

I don't think I'll bother with the whole 4k thing, though*; I'm pretty happy with blu-ray (and upconverted DVD) as they are. I'll probably get the standard blu-ray of Lawrence and be happy. :)

*I can imagine $100 bills flying out my wallet, all to upgrade my video system ...

Wes H likes this.
  23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

18) the historical significance and modern day impact of Sykes-Picot.

Mark E. Moon and bhazen like this.
  24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I got the itch to watch Lawrence again this week and did part 1 last night. About to watch the second half and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the four disc box set on blu ray is worth it, or if I could just do the two disc version. I'm watching my old superbit DVD, and I want an upgrade.

25. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Lawrence of Arabia Blu-ray

Solaris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.