1960s bands with no surviving live film/video footage

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

Occasionally when I'm listening to one of my favorite "obscure" 1960s (and sometimes 1970s) bands it makes me wonder what they would have looked and sounded like live. If I'm near a computer I will do a YouTube search but unfortunately for many of these bands the only videos available are homemade photo slide show of the studio versions. I remember back in the '90s there was a thriving mail order business selling video compilations including rare live TV performances of many of these obscure artists, but obviously that was just the tip of the iceberg!

Recently, after years of searching, I finally managed to track down some truly rare performances on YouTube that I thought for sure I would never see, including The Dillards (with Herb Pedersen) performing a couple of Wheatstraw Suite songs live on Playboy After Dark, Kaleidoscope (UK band) lip-synching "Flight From Ashiya" on some weird French TV show, The Who recording "Pictures Of Lily" in the studio, Spanky & Our Gang rehearsing "Sunday Will Never Be The Same" for a Murray The K special, etc.

There are however a bunch of similar bands that apparently rarely appeared on TV/film or any footage that did once exist is currently unavailable. I would really love to see some video footage, especially live, of The Peanut Butter Conspiracy, Big Star, Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West, Bread (hard to believe but true), Crack The Sky (original lineup), Free Design, The Remains, The Incredible String Band, The Nazz, Ultimate Spinach, Wimple Winch... OK some of these might be a little too obscure but I've been surprised by what I've found in the past.

If anyone has seen footage of any of the above bands I listed or if anyone knows a link to where I might find any of them please let me know. Thanks!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

The discovery of Wimple Winch footage is one of my great hopes.

3. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I have always wanted to see video footage of The Idle Race (Jeff Lynne's band). Nick Drake is another, though not a band and not the 60's....

4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I contacted the members of Wimple Winch and guitarist John Kelman says that while WW were never filmed, they did lots of TV spots as Just Four Men. Obviously the chances are slim that any of that stuff survives, so it appears that that great hope of mine has been dashed.

5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

6. audiodrome

The few vintage ISB videos I have come across, such as "Painting Box" from the Julie Felix show, are either horrible quality or out-of-sync like the one posted above.

I'm really surprised that there is no high quality TV footage of Bread from the early '70s . Considering all the hits they had they must have appeared on everyone's show!

bleachershane likes this.
  7. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

Here you go.....:tiphat:

Tony A., Sax-son, dasacco and 3 others like this.
  8. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

I'd like to see video of The Destinations "Hello Girl".

9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

The Add4.Obviously there were Korean TV appearances.And they were plugged in too!:winkgrin:

[​IMG]

10. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

I never saw it but a film about The Remains called "America's Lost Band" (narrated by Peter Wolf) premiered in Boston 6 or 7 years ago, however I have never seen any evidence that it's available for viewing on DVD or the net. I'm not sure if there's any live footage but I would guess that if any existed, they probably found it for the movie. Does anyone know anything else about the film and if it will ever be available? I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

Aaron

11. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

There's quite a bit of ISB, though not necessarily all complete or in the best quality:
    - October Song live from somebody's living room, late 67
    - Painting Box and The Half Remarkable Question from the Julie Felix Show, March 1968
    - They have a 50 minute film called Be Glad for the Song Has no Ending - earliest clips date from March 68, plus interviews, two early/mid 1969 performances
    - Invocation, The Letter, When You Find Out Who You Are, This Moment from Woodstock
    - A really ropey snippet of Maya and a slightly less ropey performance of Dust Be Diamonds from Dec 1969
    - Jigs, Empty Pocket Blues and Everything's Fine Right Now from the Beat Club, Sept 1970
    - Lady Wonder and Empty Pocket Blues live in Holland from October 1970
    - Secret Temple, Oh Did I Love a Dream and Jigs from some French TV show, May 1972
    - Weather the Storm live at the Bickershaw Festival, May 1972
    - Black Jack Davy from some French TV show, late 1973
    - Ithkos rehearsal clips, mid 1973 and live clips from Bristol, October 1973

As far as I know that's all the circulating ISB footage - it's all on You Tube except for the Bickershaw Festival footage.

12. audiodrome

Yeah, I've seen that one (the quality is terrible) but that seems to be the only one out there, besides the clip of Jimmy playing in the 1963 movie The Skydivers (also terrible quality).

Now that I think of it I probably should have titled this thread "1960s Bands With Very Little Surviving Footage" :D

13. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Has full concert footage of the James Gang in their prime ever been released on DVD?

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

How about The Chocolate Watchband?

15. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Not a trace of Nick Drake footage or Jackson.C.Frank and did I dream that I saw some footage of Anne Briggs some years ago?

I was amazed to see some footage recently of Richard Farina.

I second that Wimple Winch hope!

16. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Licorice and Rose Simpson bring out something in this old guy!!

Ma Kelly likes this.
  17. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

Sadly, The Great Society.

18. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Jimmy James & The Blue Flames

RhyeKing77 likes this.
  19. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I'd like to see the TV Show WHERE THE ACTION IS. Lots of 60s bands.

20. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Most of it's on youtube.

reverberationmusic likes this.
  21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

99% of Kiwi TV from the 60's is pretty much wiped. So we've gotta rely on Brian Henderson's Bandstand on TCN-9 Australia for tv clips of Kiwi acts.

22. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

http://www.downvids.net/remains-ed-sullivan-1966-448512.html

Here they are on Ed Sullivan doing Let Me Through. This is all that I have ever seen.

doubleaapn likes this.
  23. glea

glea Forum Resident

Riot On Sunset Strip, two songs mimed.

Platterpus likes this.
  24. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

25. vernon

vernon Well-Known Member

Geronimo Jackson

marc with a c and The Demon like this.
Thread Status: