1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

Think you're right about that , mine arrived Friday ( deluxe ) and there is certainly no evidence of any audio glitch where it had been pointed out previously....

Mark Wilson likes this.
  2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I saw this in the store today but didn't get it until I could get back here and get some SQ impressions. Without making me go back through all 50 pages, can someone give me some quick and succinct impressions?

3. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

A brief summary:
    The sound quality is great, especially when considering the recording techniques used at the time. The music is great too. There are several edits that many deem unnecessary, but they don’t seem to affect the enjoyment too much. There’s a glitch at the end of ‘Over Under Sideways Down’.

If you have time, it’s well worth reading what has been a fascinating and informative thread.

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Please let us know what the result is.

By the way: I also sent an email to JP.com, and they also replied back to me (yesterday in fact) that I would be entitled to a replacement disc too (even though I bought the 2-CD set from Amazon USA). We'll see if it actually happens.

5. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I'm waiting till it's safe to buy the 2CD set, hopefully the price will fall too!

6. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Sure, will post here once I have a reply. Saying that, according to their response on December 11I should have received a new disc by now unless of course, it has been sent second class or is still pending despatch.

"We will be shipping a replacement disc in a clear plastic wallet to your original postal address later this week and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Please disregard the original faulty CD1 and replace it with this new version."

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I’ve written them twice, no response.

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Many thanks.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

So, does anyone prefer the Yardbirds version of My Baby to Janis Joplin’s rendition?

Go easy on me!

10. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

A crappy number, never understood them choosing to cover exactly that number. Wish they had played "Happenings..." at the Anderson show instead.

11. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I love the live version of My Baby, they could've played a better song (Happenings would've been perfect) but it doesn't detract from the listening experience at all for me.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  12. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

I don't like the song by any artist... it's taken over 30 years and this remix just to tolerate it... now, if they had done Little Waters My Babe (which I thought it was when I first bought the Epic LP by reading the credits before playing) that would be another matter altogether... even better, if Keith did a solo Bye Bye Bird, like he did on that last tour, I'd be thrilled...

Gumboo likes this.
  13. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

@Arnold Grove
    I've not heard of anyone receiving replacement cds yet.

tmtomh likes this.
  14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

No. Love Janis’ version.

RiRiIII and MoonPool like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

I didn't think so.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Okay, now for a musical question. "Drinking Muddy Water" has always fascinated me for its clever time-signature shifts. You'll notice that throughout the song, it drops a half-beat in places, then adds a half-beat in others. That means the snare drum keeps shifting from playing offbeats to on the beat.
    My question is: what's the most natural way to feel these time shifts, that is to say, how were the Yardbirds likely counting it or feeling it when they were playing this tune?

Mark Wilson likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Just checking: Did anyone get a replacement disc yet with the correction of the audio glitch on CD1?

18. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Not that I'm aware of. Remind me - has anyone even gotten a shipping notice for the replacement CD?

19. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

Nothing yet, not even had a reply to confirm one is on the way.

YardByrd and tmtomh like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

I think that the only thing that people have gotten is an email saying that "the replacement disc will be mailed out next week" or something like that. I received a similar email, but have not had any update (with shipping info) if it actually happened (which I doubt so far).

tmtomh likes this.
  21. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

I haven't even gotten an e-mail...

tmtomh likes this.
  22. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I got an email stating that a replacement disc would be mailed out. It was Friday I believe, but with the Holidays, I have no expectation that it will be here any sooner than the very end of the month if not later. At least JP.com was more responsive than WB( ?) for the Heroes replacement disc. I followed the instructions completely , sent them 2 pictures for proof and I got.....silence.

23. chickendinna

Update, I just received an email asking for the order number. However, I purchased mine at my local fave Indie store Fingerprints. I can send a picture. I hope they don't stonewall me.

24. Arnold Grove

Are you talking about the Bowie or Yardbirds disc?

25. chickendinna

Sorry, the Yardbirds disc. I don't see where a receipt will help them, especially since I purchased it locally. The Bowie was from Amazon. I ended up taking a picture of the YB's set and emailing it to them. Hopefully that should be sufficient.