1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Echo? ;)

Dondy likes this.
  2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

...and both covers are awful. I'm not a fan of group/artist drawings used on album covers. Never have been. Not talking about artistic layouts (Yes, Moody Blues and many, many more), but illustrations, drawings and/or caricatures of band members. It just bugs me. Ron

For those of you who don't know The Yardbirds version of Tangerine (Knowing That I'm Losing You).

3. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

It's been said that Keith Relf is the only rock star to particpate in the pirating of his own material, ie the interview he gave Stout for the Golden Eggs LPs knowing what Stout was up to... True? Anybody know of anybody else condoning pirating of their own catalog as oppossed to bootlegging a la Dead... MAYBE shows how little regard Relf had for his history in the early 70s...

4. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

No disregrading of his own history and catalogue at all, I'd say. Relf was pretty much in financial trouble at that time and TMOQ offered to pay a month of his rent (IIRC) - which can actually be regarded as some kind of "royalites" for his music with The Yardbirds that he wouldn't have received by Epic Records as the band's catalogue was almost entirely deleted at that point (and thoughout the rest of the 70's). The interview is a real nice read as Keith offers some interesting insight into the bootleg's tracks some of which he had obviously totally forgotten about. :)

The bootleg (and More Golden Eggs) were truely a labour of love by a real fan (Stout) with the guy(s) at TMOQ giving him the necessary support to realize the two slightly left field projects. I'm sure TMOQ didn't regard the first one as their their future megaseller but obviously agreed to a follow-up as it sold pretty well.

Yardbirds ahoy!
    Th:)mas

Crimson Witch, fr in sc and YardByrd like this.
  5. YardByrd

LOVE the original cover of the Page live LP. Yeah, got my fingers crossed that "Knowing That I'm Losing You" will be on the box in its rightful place with the other songs from the last studio date. No word from McCarty on that yet.

Dondy and brainwashed like this.
  6. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Not sure what the obsession with the Anderson Theater show is. It's really not the best live yardbirds recording. I'd be much more interested in the yardbirds at the fillmore recording that must exist but is unreleased. It's a Beautiful Day who opened for them were recorded so I can only assume so were the yardbirds.

fr in sc and YardByrd like this.
  7. brainwashed

I'd MUCH prefer a nice action pic of the Yardbirds in concert. Different strokes... as they say. Ron

8. brainwashed

I wonder if McCarty (or Page) has the Fillmore tapes? If there's nothing in the vaults, or in private possession, then the Anderson Theater show is it. Ron

YardByrd likes this.
  9. YardByrd

Yeah, my memory does seem to stir at your mention of some financial recompense for said interview... and yeah, he doesn't seem aware in that interview that Tangerine is a resurrection of Knowing etc. - memory is funny and so subjective... I have a Dreja interview from the 80s where he heaps scorn on Think About It... ten years later I personally interviewed him and told him how much I loved it... he agreed it was one of their greats 100%

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Early Yardbirds in concert action. They had a very discerning audience... ;)

[​IMG]

11. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I think the chances of it existing are pretty good.

DrBeatle likes this.
  12. brainwashed

Yea, your dad! And of course we're looking for later era 'birds. Ron:winkgrin:

Arnold Grove likes this.
  13. brainwashed

You're probably right. But, who has the tapes and why wouldn't they have ever seen a release over the years? Why mess about with adding bullfight cheers to an iffy live performance if they have a full fidelity live show available? There's always the possibility that the shows were recorded poorly for some reason or had sound gremlins ruining the sound. Don't recall any detailed discussion about the Fillmore tapes, certainly not lately. Ron

14. YardByrd

Le t s hope Jimmy bought that from Bill Graham and it's coming on the box! Yeah, I have that Beautiful Day set and have often thought that the Yardies set had to have been recorded... and wondered why it hasn't seen the light of day.

15. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

With Jimmy Page's history with Cumular Limit and Live Yardbirds I really wouldn't want him to be in charge of anything.

fr in sc and DrBeatle like this.
  16. YardByrd

I know McCarty has a recording of the 1967 Fillmore show, which is two sets. Not the 68 show that is on youtube etc. The 67 show he has is not soundboard, though, but a real good audience recording by a friend of the band... not pro recording but best amateur recording of Yardies I have heard. Release quality? I'd buy it but then again I'd buy a recording of Relf farting in the bathtub...

signothetimes53 and DrBeatle like this.
  17. brainwashed

I'd like to hear it too. Thing is, does ANYONE still have original tapes, whether they be soundboard or audie? It's one thing to have a mixdown cassette, quite another to have the original reels... whether they are multi-tracked, stereo or even mono. "C'mon Jimmy, go through your dusty vaults and see what ya have.";) Ron

YardByrd likes this.
  18. YardByrd

We KNOW Jimmy has 'em... he says he does and occassionally posts sound files of weird goodies on his website... like the sitar-drenched demo of White Summer...

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I'll only believe this news when I see it.

I can't imagine the Anderson Theatre show sounding much better than a decent bootleg anyway. Mine's OK really even with the El Toro sound effects.

Call me skeptical. :rolleyes:

20. YardByrd

So, McCarty just wrote on Facebook that "Knowing That I'm Losing You" is on the box set. But get this: without the vocals!!!! WTF

21. YardByrd

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

IIRC, a fan and friend of Jimmy's recorded some or a few shows and gave Jimmy the tape(s) so that may be a possibility (before the reel/the reels start to brittle & fall apart). Also, "Glimpses" on the "Glimpses" box set is from a 1967 show that was recorded. Greg Russo I think was allowed to pick *one track* off it for inclusion on the box. My godness! The hoarders-that-be seem to be aiming at sitting on their doggone tapes until they drop dead (which shouldn't be too far in the future RE their assumed age). The ghost of Micky Most hauts The Yardbids and their fans to the day. Grrrr. :realmad:

fr in sc likes this.
  23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind if the original mix appeared, actually. It's a funny piece of history, and would make a nice novelty sitting next to a more faithful and deserving treatment

24. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

CD4: The Paper Cup tape.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

He had those releases pulled, correct?

I'd like him behind this project. He probably has the tapes. The SQ will be halfway decent as well.