1982 Beatles Mono LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kipper15, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today I've purchased complete set (10 albums) of mint condition Beatles mono LP's - the 1982 reissues - from a reputable UK Beatles dealer. These are the same LP's that were found in the Beatles Mono Collection box set. I'm really pleased about this purchase as, despite being a Beatles fan for over 20 years, I've NEVER heard any mono UK album that was released after Beatles For Sale.

I am so looking forward to hearing, for the very first time, mono mixes of albums such as Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper & The White Album. I will hopefully understand what the fuss is all about with some of these mono mixes (especially Sgt Pepper). Also, I'll at last get to see black & yellow Parlophone Beatles LP's on my turntable! As well as giving my turntable a good workout, the CD-recorder will no doubt see some action in the forthcoming weeks!

I CAN HARDLY WAIT FOR THESE TO ARRIVE!!!!

:goodie:

I'm also please because the mono reissues have eluded me for a long time. It seemed my only options were to buy the rare and hard-to-find box set (very expensive) or seek out decent originals (even harder to find and even more expensive) so to find a complete set in mint condition is a result for me! It's cost me a LOT less than buying originals or the '82 box set.

I understand these mono re-pressings were made from the original stampers, is that correct? I'm sure there's a few of you out there who have these pressings, would like to know your opinions on these pressings.

Cheers

Kipper

:) :) :) :) :) :)

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have a few of them and they sound wonderful. Yes, they are made from the original stampers. The only drawback (slight) is that the vinyl is rather thin (80's diet). I think you'll really enjoy these! Did you get a good price??

Todd

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I have this set also that I picked up piece by piece when they were in stores. They sound great. You're going to love 'em.

4. Todd Fredericks

Also, I think they should just release this fine vinyl box again! Obviously, there's a demand...

Todd

5. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I got the black box in nm condition about a year ago. I'm very happy with it and now have no desire to track down the original pressings. Even though the vinyl is thinner than 60's pressings, I found mine to be better than my UK blue box. A lot quieter. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours!

6. kipper15

Thanks Todd. I was aware that the vinyl is of the lighweight variety as was standard for EMI Beatles LP's in the early 80s. The dealer I bought them from (and I've bought from him regularly over the last 4-5 years) tells me they look absolutely pristine, the best set of these he's seen for many years. I got them for a good price, considering the box set he also had for sale was a LOT more money (nearly double!!!)

I just HAD to have them so out came the credit card :)

Kipper

7. Todd Fredericks

Congrats, Kipper!! I bet you'll really be surprised by some titles like 'A Hard Days Night'. It's a wonderful mix and the tube mastering is silk!

Todd

8. kipper15

I do have mono versions of the first four LP's on vinyl but of course these are the 1990s UK pressings mastered from the same digital source used for the CD's. I wonder how much different they are going to sound - presumably the mix is the same but the mastering on these '82 issues is vastly superior!

9. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Nice find! I have the mono reissue of "Rubber Soul" and it's fantastic. If you haven't heard it in mono, then you really haven't heard it. As others have said, the vinyl on these reissues is rather thin, but it still sounds very nice. My copy is NM and especially quiet.

10. kipper15

I'm sure I will too! Cheers Jeff.

Kipper

11. kipper15

Rubber Soul will probably be the first one of the set that I'll play - I've heard the mono mixes from some songs (Nowhere Man EP) but none of the others!

12. kipper15

I sure hope so :)

13. Todd Fredericks

Oh boy, you're in for a treat. :) The digital masters do an injustice to these albums. You're going to love the tube cut 'And I love Her'...

Todd

14. kipper15

:) :goodie: :righton: :cheers:

15. kipper15

I can't see it happening myself and even if they did, would use the original metal parts like they did for the '82 repressings? I doubt it, although I suppose anything is possible.

I do fear that, sadly, these mono albums (at least on vinyl) are now consigned to history forever. There's more chance of getting all the mono mixes officially released by Apple on CD - and that's saying something!

Incidentally Todd, how many posts before I become a Forum Icon?! I didn't realise until today that I'm now a senior member - I presume that's when you get to 500 posts?

16. Todd Fredericks

Yeah, I agree. I think the ole' mono pressings are going to collect more & more dust as the years dwindle by...

I think you become an Icon after 2,000 posts.

17. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Good choice! Next you should check Sgt Pepper. Great, of course, but also check to see if its all mono. There were a few pressed with one mono & one stereo side. I've heard that those have appeared in both red & black box sets. No idea how many are that way.

18. kipper15

Thanks for the advice Jeff. I'll make sure Pepper is one of the first I check out. I remember hearing about the the mono/stereo mis-press some years ago.

19. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Kipper,

You are going to love the sound and the mono mix of the "White Album". The mono mix of the "White Album" has a completely different *feel* to it. It almost sounds like a different record. Except "Revolution #9" which is a fold down. Congrats and enjoy!!!

Joe

20. kipper15

Thanks Joe, I will be receiving the set in a few days and the White Album will definitely among the first ones I play :)

21. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Congrats, Kipper-- I'm sure you'll enjoy them!!

When you get the chance, though-- **do** track down at least one original Parlophone mono (though it probably won't be the White Album...$$$$), to give yourself a comparison baseline... it's a good point of reference to have in terms of the sound of the various pressing eras.

Plus, you get to enjoy more Beatles stuff!! :D

-Kevin

22. kipper15

Kevin - A good suggestion but a) NO money left after buying the '82 set! and b) I daren't buy even one original mono because I know that once I buy one, I'll say to myself "Now have to buy them all" :D

23. Todd Fredericks

Hmmm? I thought I was the only one who is mad in this way... :)

24. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Unfortunately (or fortunately) you're not the only one.

25. Todd Fredericks

:) :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.