2001 A Space Odyssey is supposed delayed till 30 Nov. Amazon just shipped me a copy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

I watched my copy last night and it looked spectacularly good. It helped transport me back to 1968 when my dad took us to 2001. My mom hated it so much that she spent most of the movie sitting out in the lobby waiting for the rest of us to finish the movie. I think that it gave her an Excedrin headache or somethin' like that.... ;)

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

It is special. That flat shot 65mm at 2.20 begs for front projection!

3. Watching the 4K certainly put me in mind of that with my dad. My dad didn't hate it, he just wondered what the heck it was really about. He was a straight narrative, resolution, conflict non art film kind of guy whereas eight year old me was mesmerized. The funny thing was even as an eight year old I remember discussing it with him and he said he wasn't quite sure about the ending and, according to my dad, I said "he was reborn as something different kind of like an alien". Of course, my dad also though that "High Plains Drifter" had no element of a ghost story--he was convinced it was the brother of the sheriff that came to the town until I pointed out that 1) he disappeared at the end 2) when he was asked his name he said "you know my name" and the little person looks right at the tombstone (hint, hint, nudge nudge). He was a smart guy but had no time for stuff like "2001". He really liked "Planet of the Apes" though.

Ere, apesfan and IronWaffle like this.
  4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

There seems to be a fadeout that has become a cut.

This is confirmed to be different from the Kubrick approved Criterion laserdisc.

Nick Wrigley on Twitter

Kinda sucks.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Couldn't care less, and would never have notice it.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

Hey Wayne, my dad loved the movie. He was a classical music lover and I imagine it was like a concert for him. The ending bewildered nearly everyone.

McLover, wayneklein and longdist01 like this.
  7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think getting it right is important.

8. budwhite

Yes, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

It's good to see that the included BR is also remastered unlike many 4k UHD combo where the BR is the same as the older transfer.

10. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Ordered mine in 4k today will hopefully get it in time for the weekend, really looking forward to it.

11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

For many of us waiting on a 4K TV situation that is a great way to sample what is to come. I hope there is some kind of replacement program for the small problems, but I am not holding my breath on that. What usually happens is that a foreign release will fix it down the line.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It is a major snafu -- I think Stanley Would have had someone's head: It's such an obvious blunder. A CUT to black and FADE IN from black? Never! Well, maybe this mistake will make it a collectible edition, but somebody f*k'd up. :confused:

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

:bdance:

alexpop likes this.
  14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sarcasm or not, yes Kubrick would no doubt be having a fit.

The probkem is that there is also frames missing where he outs down the glass.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Not sarcasm. It’s a big editorial screw up

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m looking at a preview copy and it looks fantastic between the former Blu-ray and this 4K restoration there is definitely more detail. For comparison I looked at the shot where the first tribe of apes is sneaking up on moon watchers tribe. they creep up behind the tribe on a small hill that is rocky — you can see the pebbles and rocks far clearer in this 4K restoration versus the Blu-ray of the same resolution of 1080 P. Downside of all these detail I swear to God one of those paintings of the earth I could see the watercolor board. Must’ve been hallucinating. Very nice vivid colors

longdist01 and IronWaffle like this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That Missed fade doesn’t look quite as bad on the actual print it’s abrupt but there’s a bit of a fade

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

WORST THING IN 2001: A SPACE OFYSSEY?

Don’t read unless you wanted spoiled

Worst thing in 2001. The Captain of the Moon shuttles uniform Which in high detail looks like and fits the captain like it’s a leftover uniform from “the music man.” Instead of some hyperbolic space suit.

alexpop and wayneklein like this.
  19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

On the 4K? I just wonder if the bluray is the only one with the error.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No, blu ray, but it doesn't look as bad in real life as in those clips. It's abrupt.

21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sorry. No as in bluray is the only one? No 4K has it too?

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I presently have the most recent issue of the BluRay for 2001: A Space Odyssey. I don't have a 4K player, but I have an Oppo BDP103 which will upsample to 4K. My monitor is now an LG OLED. If I upgrade to this newer issue of 2001, which disk would serve me better? The 4K or the new BluRay?

23. budwhite

Well, you can't play the 4K disc in your player. But there is a blu-ray copy included.
    Or you can just buy the new stand alone blu-ray at half price.
    I can't do 4K but I bought that release anyway in case I'm going to upgrade soner rather than later.

stereoptic and jh901 like this.
  24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Why didn't you buy the 4K? It comes with the Blu!

Also, buy a 4K player. See what your panel can do. The new Panny UB820 is not cheap, but you will use it for many years.

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I was referring to the 2007(?) issue. This one:
    [​IMG]

I have a 4K player (Oppo bdp203) but that is not connected to a monitor at all - I use it for multichannel FLAC files on a USB drive.
    I may eventually get a 4K player for the LG OLED. In the meantime, my question is about the new issue of 2001, and if it is worth the $25 investment ( :) ) to get the new issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.