2003: The Year of Super Audio?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Interesting take on Super Audio's growing popularity by David Robinson in Issue #4 of Positive Feedback...

www.positive-feedback.com

I think he is on to something here. Let me add my two cents on why I think the format will widen out a bit in 2003.

1. Very big titles - Dark Side of The Moon, My Generation, some other unmentioned big titles rumoured to be announced at CES.

2. More and less expensive Universal player options. Brian Moura of High Fidelity Review is hinting at some upcoming news at the CES.

3. Still better sonics as the format gains its legs. This will manifest in more "pure DSD" recording chain choices and improved/easier editing.

4. More excellent Steve Hoffman work and other goodies from APO.

5. More labels signing on, those testing the waters widening to additional titles.

What do you think Super Audio will do?

If you do not have Super Audio now, what will it take to make you jump in the pool?

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I think the SACD vs DVD-A war will only heat up. Then proponents of both will get at each others throats even more.

Its kinda sad really...

3. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

SACD will begin to falter if:

1. The SACD camp further delays production of SACD drives for Computers

2. The SACD camp further delays production of SACD for Cars Systems

3. Sony further delays production of Dual Layer SACD's and more Software
    Titles that have more mass audience appeal

4. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

As David Robinson mentions in his article, SACD production capability will be greatly increased. These factories aren't being built/ramped up just for the fun of it. Since there will be millions of SA units produced, it will permit some big-selling hybrids to be made without interfering with the lower-selling titles.

Generally speaking once one format in anything becomes dominant, things snowball and it continues to increase its share. SACD already has that advantage over DVD-A.

I predict 2003 will be the year Warners pulls the plug on DVD-A.

5. LeeS

"Its kinda sad really..."

It is sad that the industry could not develop one standard, but I think it is possible for the formats to cover two different niches and remain around for a while.

And while providing us music fans great sonics...

I think DVDA will falter if:

1. DVDA does not add CD compatability.

2. Title selection does not improve dramatically.

As for SACD, I don't think computer or car capability is that important a factor. If mass acceptance occurs, then these can be quickly created.

I do disagree with the comment about titles with more mass market appeal. I mean what do you want to see? Sony is supposedly footing the cost of Dark Side of The Moon. That's pretty bold commitment there in my opinion.

6. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

As Steve has mentioned, there are already working units of car SACD players in the automobiles of music VIPs.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Here is a different viewpoint: DVD-A and SACD have two different target audiences. DVD-A = the home theatre crowd who also like music. SACD = the music and audiophile crowd.

Yes, there could be audiophiles in the Home Theatre crowd!

So I predict that we'll have releases on each format for everything! As long as it sells, they'll make it!

8. LeeS

"As Steve has mentioned, there are already working units of car SACD players in the automobiles of music VIPs."

I missed this statement. That's pretty funny!

I can do one better though Paul. ;)

I just read that Tim De Paravicini (sic?) of EAR fame has built a tube amplifier for the car and he introduced it at the London HiFi Show in September...(see HiFi News latest issue)

9. LeeS

"Here is a different viewpoint: DVD-A and SACD have two different target audiences. DVD-A = the home theatre crowd who also like music. SACD = the music and audiophile crowd. "

Excellent point and well taken.

:)

10. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

I think the people behind DVD-A figured it would be a success because they would benefit from the huge runaway sales of DVD. That didn't happen by any stretch of the imagination and thus the desire to add a CD layer.

We haven't heard anything new on the CD layer discussion. Maybe they can work around the rights issues some way and maybe they can't.

11. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

The car thing alone doesn't ensure success for SACD, of course. There were car decks that played DAT too.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

WHOOOOOHOOOO!:goodie:

It just confuses people. Having DVD-A out there to compete with SACD makes me nervous because the best format usually doesn't win. People need to be educated on DSD.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Gary, I know what you mean but I can see the flip side to this. SACD is marketed to record companies as uncopyable. No more bootlegs, illegal CDRs and illegal mass file sharing.

So why would they encourage SACD computer drives? They won't.

14. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Tim introduced it very very quietly and he isn't exactly backwards about coming forwards - I had a good chat to him at the show and he was very much upbeat about the work he had been doing with Pink Floyd and those chaps at DCS ;) Now the DCS guys have both sides of the toast buttered in the studio but they do make a very highly regarded domestic SACD player.

&ru

15. Gary Freed

Hi Guys,

I am an SACD enthusiast and committed to supporting the SACD format.
    I bought in 4 years ago when I purchased the SCD-777ES. I'm in the 2nd year of owner ship of my XA777ES.

I placed my bets very early and I agree with Jeff regarding a heating
    up of a format War. I totally agree with Gary and Lee reagarding the two target markets.

I am a Jazz Fan, so the mass appeal titles are of little interest to me. Much of the music I like is already out on SACD and many of the labels that I buy
    are supporting SACD.

I am sure that there are executives driving around with SACD car stereos.
    that is a given.

Unfortunately, SACD has been perceived as an audiophile format. True or
    not, that has been the perception. Not to quote Lee.

The SACD format will have more difficulty winning public acceptance if that perception were to continue.

There is too much confusion among the buying public at this time.

Let me pose this question:

DVD-A appeals to the home theater crowd. OK. If you go to buy a new
    car or a new computer what will be the hardware choices.

Now since Sony is in fact working on SACD for Cars and maybe computers,
    are they going to be manufacturing Universal players?

What Software decision must be made by the consumer if Sony does not mfg. universal players and why would the the record companies bother manufactering software in both formats if every machine is universal.

Right now it's too early to tell if 2003 will be the year for SACD.

Hold on to your hats though! I think Jeff hit it right! The format War
    will heat up even more in 2003.:) ;)

16. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Offering better sound seems like it can only be a good thing. It also offers multi-channel, which is often considered to be aimed at non-audiophiles.

There are no hints about Sony wanting SACD in computers or about Sony having any interest in universal machines. If DVD-A were immensely successful and SACD were badly trailing, I imagine Sony would do like they did with Beta and VHS. But Sony certainly has no reason to help the competition as things stand.

17. Gary Freed

Hi Paul,

I agree.

These are great times for people like us who really care how our music sounds.

We who have embraced the HI-REZ formats are the immediate benefactors.

For those who stand on the side of SACD.... our fates are in the hands of Sony.

For those who stand on the side of DVD-A ...the group support athough larger, they have up until now miss out on golden opportunities.

I do not really know if one format is that much better than the other.

It depends on who you talk to.

So this is a marketing problem for the Group which has the most determination and the deepest wallets.

:) ;)

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree..we'll wait and see. :)

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I believe that's one of the main reasons for developing SACD..MONEY and control period! Too many Cee Dee's out there and there will always be CDRs for sharing..unless they kill the whole system...Hmmmm

20. Gary Freed

Hi Michael,

The Copy protection is Sony's trump card for adoptation by Record Companies Execs.

Things change though.

Remember two years ago regular DVD's couldn't be copied.

21. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

of course, people will find a way to "Rip" SACd AND DVd-A

They always do.

22. LeeS

"of course, people will find a way to "Rip" SACd AND DVd-A"

Yes, that's true but I bet many record industry types realize this, however there is still value in delaying the amount of readily available ripping that can be done so SACD still offers an advantage here IMHO.

I think that the appearance of universal players at lower and lower price points will be a good thing:

1. It lowers psychological barriers to taking on new formats by eliminating a bad decision (choosing the losing format)

2. It allows the curious to experiment with both. And this can only be a good thing...have you any friends who bought either a SACD or DVDA and did not enjoy immediately the sonic benefits? I don't.

3. In my own personal opinion universals will accelerate Super Audio adoption given the title lead in terms of number and quality.

By the way Mikey, stereo DOES rule. If I had a tag line it might read "Fine two channel is a multi-channel experience. "

Hey! I think I will use that.

23. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Like Beta versus VHS. Beta is better but VHS won.

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

25. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Not being able to play DVD-A in your car seems to be where they missed the boat.I,like a lot of people sometimes can get more listening time in the car than at home.Also I think the average HT fan doesn't care enough about quality sound to matter.Regular CD's are good enough for them.The dual layer SACD approach just makes a lot more sense. The thought of a tube amp and a SACD in your car. :righton: If its affordable,wicked cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.