2014 Beatles Mono Vinyl- How many pressed and why are they scarce?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Screentest75, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The mono records are plentiful in many retail outlets. You can find many of them at online retailers and in brick & mortar stores that have remaining inventory. But the label, wholesalers and distributors are now out of them.

Daytripn likes this.
  2. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Dont know if these are out of print or not, but i wouldn't make that determination based on stock at my local stores. i have bought plenty of out of print LPs in record stores. The owners usually have no clue what is out of print until they go to reorder stock. On records that arent selling that can take months. Or years in some cases.

john morris and Mazzy like this.
  3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

But sometimes you can find Toronto drugs in London!

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looking online I see some sites have limited titles.

5. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

I was record shopping this afternoon and I counted four new copies of mono Sgt. Pepper for sale, around $20 each. They had many other mono Beatles LPs as well.

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see the same at stores. Sounds like when those are gone, that may be it.

7. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Im sure for at least the foreseeable future, if demand even reasonably exceeds supply, there are stampers at the ready to accommodate it. Its just a matter of finding and scheduling space in the pressing que. I think demand for the Beatles' catalog (especially the mono versions) was most likely over-estimated as I've seen plenty of the box sets and individual titles available in stores. Also there have been several on-line opportunities to buy both box sets (especially the mono set) at discount - sometimes at a steep discount and that doesn't often happen unless someone gets worried that their stock is lingering on the shelves gathering too much dust.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

See, now that sounds like HMV at West Edmonton Mall. I may stop by WEM later on today (I need new glasses very soon, it's been three years since my last visit to the optometrist) and just for the hell of it -arguments sake?:p- I'll check the stock at HMV.
    Having lived in London (and Sarnia) in the past (mid-90's) I can certainly attest to that...:laugh:

dobyblue likes this.
  9. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

This past week, I ordered the mono box of LP's. Can't wait to have that.

Rickchick likes this.
  10. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I checked Amazon.ca and all of the mono albums are still available, although fairly expensive.

11. Exit Flagger

Interesting. Do you have a link to this annoucement?

12. Exit Flagger

That actually refers to the 2009 mono CD box if you follow the footnote. Wikipedia lumps the two releases together.

A million copies total of the mono vinyl box set and the individually released LPs were pressed in 2014. There was no indictaion at the time if these were limited releases or not.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

They are described as "Limited Edition" by the label and this is reflected on the way these Mono LP's are described on product lists/databases from distributors in Europe. Not that it means anything in terms of future availability...

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Believe it or not but the mono lps will be out of print. Look at the postings from sellers. The supply has dried up.

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My store has plenty of everything. I just got the White Album at Christmas time.

16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Buy the copies you need, now. They are a steal at regular retail.

We may never see these again....

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Not strange at all.

The mono editions were cut directly from the original 1960s tapes... there's no way they're going to pull those precious tapes from the library to do a re-cut after the stampers wear out. This was a one-shot deal, not to be missed.

By comparison, the stereo LPs were digitally sourced, not requiring the use of the 1960s masters to re-cut as the stampers become worn.

mikeyt and SergioRZ like this.
  18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'm noticing the mono LP's are about five bucks more then their stereo counterparts (if the stereo album is $19.99 the mono is $24.99). And I totally forgot to check HMV at WEM on Saturday- my eye exam and getting the new specs sorted out took longer than I thought it would...

19. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Hi all, I can confirm universal are now sold out of revolver and the white album. I should know as I have been trying order them for my shop for the last two months and they simply come back as out of stock but curiously not deleted.

Exit Flagger likes this.
  20. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

They show up as "deleted" for me. However, I have seen "deleted" items come back not long after being marked that way... crazy labels :p

Exit Flagger likes this.
  21. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

That was normal here in the UK, from release date onwards they were all about £5 more than the stereo equivalent, or £10+ more for the White and MMT.

I think they're surely gonna make more of the popular ones. I hope so, for the sake of younger, newer fans who can avoid the music fan wallet hell a lot of people had to go thru for good Beatles mono vinyl over the years.

23. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Yep, think Rubber Soul onwards are probably the bigger sellers . . .

24. attym

attym Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread, I realized I do t have please please me or mono masters... Time to get on it!

Rickchick likes this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't understand why people on here are still buying these now. They have been out a while now, they are pure SH Forum product, AAA Mono Beatles albums with replica sleeves. Mono Pepper and White albums? Come on, you should all have bough these the week they were released.

You only have yourselves to blame if you miss out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.