2014 Beatles Red and Blue records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Javigato, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javigato

Javigato Forum Resident Thread Starter

Quick question about these, are they just remastered using the original master tapes from '73, or are they remixes? Thanks!

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

They are mastered from the original analog tapes. No remixes.

dewey02 and Lewisboogie like this.
  3. meanoldman

meanoldman Forum Resident

All are sourced from the 2009 stereo remasters, except for "Please Please Me" and "From Me To You". The remastered mono versions were used for those although stereo versions exist.

4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You must be referring to the CDs issued in 2010 which used the 2009 digital remasters.
    The 2014 vinyl red and blue records are AAA and mastered from the original analog tapes.
    Here's a link to Analog Planet: Beatles "Red" and "Blue" Album Reissues AAA All the Way! Beatles "Red" and "Blue" Album Reissues AAA All the Way!

5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The 2014 vinyl sounds brilliant IMO.

Exotiki and culabula like this.
  6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Get both 2014 Red and Blue vinyl editions while you can.

7. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Honestly I can’t understand why people don’t talk more about the quality of these reissues. It’s the best I’ve ever heard these songs in stereo, and AAA strength to boot.

RogerE, Exotiki, mne563 and 3 others like this.
  8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

So good, I just bought two more sealed on eBay for only 14GBP each, yesterday and which arrived this morning.

Surprisingly, they’re easy enough to find cheap there, why I know not, because they were expensive enough online and in-store.

I’ve three each now, so I'll stop.

Solace and fmfxray373 like this.
  9. lord K

lord K Forum Resident

I am wondering about buying these red and blue AAA reissues - it seems these are the only stereo AAA beatles (not remixed) one can find still sealed in the shops - there are hundred of posts about the beatles lps around here but not so much about theses reissues - Any reason ?

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Got me, they flew under the radar for some reason. Very strange indeed.
    Maybe because of the popularity of the 1 title.
    But yeah, being all analog you’d think there would be a lot more buzz about them.
    Beave

lord K and mne563 like this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

12. The Beave

Ah THATS WHY!
    People were waiting for qrp to start pressing them up but I don’t know if they ever did, because the first pressing had to sell out first or something like that.
    I remember now.
    Beave

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  13. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

QRP has not pressed any as of yet. However, what is odd, someone here recently purchased the red and blue album from Amazon and the blue says it was made in Canada.

14. The Beave

Man, that means that these haven’t sold well. That’s surprising in itself!
    Weird!
    Beave

15. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

Every time I walk in to Barnes and Nobles, I always see them. So far, I’ve not seen a made in Canada version. I feel these are always overlooked by many.

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Those were cut from the copy tape EMI prepared from the album masters back in '73.

17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Amazon shows very inexpensive "import" versions of these, arriving jan 1 and available for pre-order.

Anyone have the skinny if these are also AAA sourced?

18. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

How does that infer poor sales? How many were pressed in the EU?

19. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

It means Universal has picked Precision Record Pressing in Canada over QRP for its reissues. I don't think it is a reflection of these particular albums not selling well. Otherwise why make them in Canada for export to the North American market in the first place?
    GZ is also a partner. I wonder if these Canadian pressings will be sold in Europe. The 1+ remix is also being pressed by PRP.

It may be that QRP is busy with the remixes of Abbey Road, White Album and Sgt. Pepper and Canada was chosen for the other albums. Who knows.

Any one know where the new AR Giles album is being pressed?

20. The Beave

Good points.
    Beave

21. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I've been living with the 2014 Red (1962-66) and Blue (1967-70) sets for a while now and have had the chance to compare them to original UK pressings. The Red 2014 set comes out best in a shoot out, equelling and often beating an original quite easily. A hugely confident pressing - it really is outstanding IMO. The Blue 2014 set is no slouch but is a tad too reserved, lacking excitement. In a shoot out with an early UK pressing (-1/-2/-2/-1), the difference was quite obvious.

wwright, Adam9 and lord K like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I rushed out to get them upon the first couple of weeks of release but unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to disagree. At best, I find them both an "ok" mixed bag. While some tracks sounds quite good, others-the Rubber Soul and non-Abbey Road 1969 tracks in particular, are filled with distortion and sibilance. Also and of much lesser importance, the album covers are slightly undersized.

23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I picked up a new Red album today. I’m looking forward to listening.

Question. If the mono Ppm and Fmty were used instead, was a new analog master made? Or were multiple tape machines used and the engineer cued up the sources much like a DJ for those two tracks?

24. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

They replaced the fake stereo versions of 'Love Me Do' and 'She Loves You' with mono versions. Everything else, including the stereo 'Please Please Me' and 'From Me To You' are as on the original UK LP. I would think they used a tape master which includes the two mono tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.