2014 Music Direct catalog shows new titles coming from MFSL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

The 2014 Music Direct catalog (Jerry Garcia on the cover) shows the following titles coming from MFSL:

Grateful Dead
    Workingman's Dead 45 rpm LP, SACD
    American Beauty 45 rpm LP, SACD
    Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses) 45 rpm LP
    Live/Dead 45 rpm LP
    Wake of the Flood 45 rpm LP
    In the Dark 45 rpm LP

The first two titles are shown on page 2 of the catalog and are listed as being released on 45 rpm LP and SACD. All six are shown on page 150, but only 45 rpm LP is mentioned. Hopefully all six titles will be released on SACD.

Love
    Forever Changes SACD

Miles Davis
    Sorcerer
    Jack Johnson
    Bitches Brew
    Nefertiti
    Miles in the Sky
    Filles de Kilimanjaro

Formats are not listed for the Miles Davis titles, but hopefully both 45 rpm LPs and SACDs are coming to match the previous Miles Davis series.

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman
    Jerry Garcia and David Grisman

No formats are listed for this album.

The Band
    The Last Waltz

No formats are listed for this album.

It will probably be awhile before we see these releases. They aren't up on Music Direct's web site for pre-order yet. Here's hoping all of these titles are released on SACD.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    John Bonham, vonwegen, Tuna82 and 8 others like this.
  2. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Thank you for doing this.

art likes this.
  3. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

I was just looking at American Beauty LP prices yesterday. Really need to get a copy, so I'll wait for this new issue to get some reviews before deciding which version to go with. I'm honestly not the level of audiophile to insist on 45 rpm though. I think flipping an album once is enough :D

4. KeithH

No problem! :)

5. KeithH

On the digital side (no flipping :D ), I like the DVD-Audio disc. It will be interesting to hear what MFSL can do with the SACD.

Jeffrey_T likes this.
  6. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

That's an option too I guess. I only have 3 DVD-A, well 4.. "Rumours" & the 2 Queen titles ANATO & The Game. I almost forgot "Brothers In Arms" since it's a dualdisc :D But I'm trying to get back into LPs :)

7. KeithH

The DVD-Audio disc is long out-of-print, so a recent LP should be cheaper.

8. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Only Kind of Blue will be released from the first series as 45 rpm - all of the other titles have been 33 rpm, which I hope continues. Not sure you could do Bitches Brew or Jack Johnson as 45's without some very awkward break points.

Their releases have been great so far - can't wait for these to come. (sometime in 2019???)

soundfanz likes this.
  9. KeithH

Thanks. I don't really keep up with vinyl. SACD is my bag. :)

Good point about Jack Johnson and Bitches Brew as 45s.

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yeah, does anybody know if there are plans to release any of the other titles, besides Workingman's Dead & American Beauty on SACD? Live Dead especially would be nice to have in the format.

11. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

They're going to have a hard time topping the 40th Ann. reissue of Bitches Brew, cut all analog from the original master... although it's only available as a box set including CDs and a DVD, so the Mofi may have some appeal for that reason.

12. cuff

cuff Forum Resident

Hope they do a good job of Workingmans and AB

On a side note the HDtracks of the pizza tapes (Garcia, Grisman, Rice) is fantastic.

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Just for myself because of the versions I have already that I am satisfied with I am not overly excited by anything but there are obviously some great titles. With regards to Grateful Dead American Beauty I have purchased >the original LP>the MFSL LP>the original CD>the remaster CD>the DVD-Audio>the HD Tracks 24/96 download. I think I am done on that title and on others where I have acquired 6+ versions of the same title.

There are still some of the Dylan I would like (I hadn't picked up Desire yet), maybe a couple more Miles. I have the original versions of the MFSL ABB. Love Forever Changes? The Garcia Grisman I have as a 24/96 download from Grisman's Acoustic Oasis site.

I wish they would tap into a little more diverse catalogs.

14. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Curious that Miles Smiles and ESP are missing from the list of Miles releases.

DLant likes this.
  15. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I'm still waiting for the Chicago titles announced in last yrs. catalog.:waiting:

16. KeithH

The 40th anniversary box set isn't hi-rez in digital, so the MFSL SACD could be better. The big question is whether MFSL will issue the original mix or the remix. It would be nice to have the original mix on SACD, and I'm thinking MFSL would like to do that. Will Sony give them the choice?

rxcory likes this.
  17. KeithH

I'm still waiting for a number of MFSL SACDs I pre-ordered around this time last year.

RubenH likes this.
  18. KeithH

Maybe they will release a third series of Miles SACDs and LPs. :)

rxcory likes this.
  19. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

HDtracks offers the original mix in hi-rez digital (24/96) and it sounds pretty good. I doubt MFSL would go for the remix...

Impex is reissuing E.S.P. this year on vinyl, cut at BG Mastering by Chris Bellman. Miles Smiles was reissued by Speaker's Corner.

20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Love the Dead news but seriously how do these titles work on 45RPM since they have either side long songs or longer jams that wont fit (i.e. Weather Report Suite, Wharf Rat & Not Fade/GTRFB) on a 45 RPM side...right?

Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses) 45 rpm LP
    Live/Dead 45 rpm LP
    Wake of the Flood 45 rpm LP

Although Weather Report Suite does have some clear breaks in the 3 sections. The other titles listed (In the Dark, AB, WD) should be able to be broken up to fit on a 45 RPM side.

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

This is NOT the 2014 list, but for 2015 and 2016 ;)

A few great titles on this list :righton:

22. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

too optimistic ! 2017 is my guess :righton:

23. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I doubt it, and they seem to take whatever tape Sony allows them to have.

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I think it is odd that they are redoing Live/Dead, maybe they are going to use the original mix?

I hope Filles de Killimanjaro is a double LP, the album running length is about 55 minutes.

25. old school

old school Senior Member

Love SACD can't wait.

Doctor Jimmy and art like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.