2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees (Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies, Linda Ronstadt...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Is there consideration for previous years' nominees who did not get in?

2. Interesting list. It would be nice to see Yes, Deep Purple, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel and the Zombies get some recognition from the R&RHOF. But should they be again ignored I won't care.

3. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Some of the nominees this year are acts that have been previously nominated.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Really? You don't think there was any interest in live PJ through 1994? (They didn't exist until 1990.)

Whether you like them or not, they became huge in 1992 and continue to have a pretty big, very intense fan base. Sorry this appears to bother you so much...

5. Oatsdad

I'm a much bigger fan of PJ than of Nirvana, but IMO, PJ never put out an album that compares with "Nevermind". That one's just a killer from top to bottom...

vinylphile likes this.
  6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Imagine looking back 100 years from now - an institution created to enshrine a couple select decades of contemporaneous (& already popular) pop-music artists. Inherent obsolescence.

7. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I think it's a good list of acts. The only one I kind of disagree with is Cat Stevens. I never thought that James Taylor really should have gotten in either. I like the music of both of those guys, but I can't see why people would complain about Madonna or rap acts getting in but are OK with the mildest of soft rock singer-songwriters getting the nod.

8. Oatsdad

Yeah, really - why not? They should've been nominated years ago...

Say It Right likes this.
  9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I recall reading a quote from Kurt Cobain somewhere along the way that their aspiration when signing with DGC was "to be as big as the Replacements," or something to that effect. I'd argue that Nirvana took what the Replacements and Hüsker Dü had been doing in the 80s, added a dash of heavy metal to it, and the rest is history. Of course, the larger world doesn't necessarily see it that way, and, even though Nirvana are not my cup of tea, you can't argue with the impact and influence they had in their own right, and they deserve first-ballot induction, but if they get in and the Replacements don't, something is seriously wrong, in my opinion.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  10. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

Still no Monkees... :mad:

rockerreds and deadbirdie like this.
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think all of the rock nominees besides the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Cat Stevens have pretty solid cases to make.

It's absurd that Deep Purple, Yes, Linda Ronstadt, Hall & Oates, and the Replacements aren't already in.

12. Oatsdad

As I've mentioned in the past, the "that ain't RnR" argument became moot the first year - unless people really want to argue Sam Cooke, James Brown and Ray Charles was "rock artists". Non-rockers have always been a big part of the Rock Hall...

wolfram and Driver 8 like this.
  13. As an aside: it's odd that DP so often seem to get lumped in with prog, even though they're about as "prog" as the Allman Brothers and arguably less so than the Beach Boys. Most of their studio material is pretty straightforward heavy rock. Maybe it's Jon Lord's fault, what with his organ being prominent in the mix and that Concerto album.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Transalation: because I don't agree with the RRHOF's choices, there should be no RRHOF at all.

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I didn't really mean to imply that they were prog, though they sometimes incorporated some proggy elements into their sound, particularly Lord. I think they were similar to Led Zeppelin in this regard. I just assumed that it was the same kind of objection that critics often make about the Hall: "Jan Wenner hates Prog/Deep Purple, so that's why they keep getting excluded."

Now Beach Boys as proto-prog--that's an idea I can get behind! :winkgrin:

16. So says you...

17. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

They said seven of the nominees may be inducted, so I think they'll induct the following:

Linda Ronstadt
    KISS
    Deep Purple
    Chic
    Hall and Oates
    Cat Stevens (Donovan paved the way for this nomination)
    Nirvana (the only one that seems obvious from the list)

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

By the same token, someone like Joni Mitchell is even farther musically removed from Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry than those early influences, or even than "rap artists" such as Run-DMC, I would argue. Yet I don't often see the same wringing of hands over the inclusion of folkie singer-songwriters such Mitchell or James Taylor as I do over the inclusion of rap artists.

19. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

It's the same old argument: "rap isn't music, disco was noise, KISS was a gimmick (though that's partly true about them)..." blah blah blah. I definitely see them nominating Moody Blues. If KISS and Deep Purple both get in the same year, it'll pave the way for them. Watch.

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

No - not quite. Its a bit different than that. I love the museum concept, really. I only disagree with the notion of 'ranking' acts. To me a good museum, like a stereo, is 'invisible' while presenting a theme / story / image. In a neutral light and ideally, covering different perceptions including minority viewpoints.

That being said, the Hall Of Fame part is inherently redundant. 'Fame' is normally not dependent on an institution advertising that 'fame'.... right?

1970 likes this.
  21. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Like I had mentioned before, nothing against them, but...pretty lightweight. A good clutch of pop singles, but nothing groundbreaking, and I don't see them as a top-flight act, either in terms of impact or influence. It just seems odd to me that they would be chosen, as I don't see them standing out from the pack in any great way. I don't doubt their talent, but others seem more worthy.

vinylphile likes this.
  22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Gene Simmons should buy the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame and close it down. :D

Groggy likes this.
  23. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I do believe they are the best selling duo in music history (citation needed). Also, they pioneered the Rock & Soul concept which has influenced bands that follow the Rock & Soul concept.

24. Oatsdad

Eye/ear of the beholder. I think H&O had a decent impact on pop music - they led "blue-eyed soul" in the 70s/80s and I suspect they made it easier for white R&B-based acts to be taken seriously in later years.

IIRC, they're also the most successful rock/pop duo in terms of record sales - I believe they sold more than S&G.

I'm not gonna cry and pout if they don't get inducted - I don't expect them to make it this time - but I think they're a quality nomination...

ginchopolis, JDeanB and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

That's one thing that Hall gets right.

Paul W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.