2016 Paul McCartney compilation album - "Pure McCartney" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KaptKopter, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Can we save the vinyl vs. vinyls discussion for another forum thread? I don't wanting tainting a pure McCartney thread :D

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

It's a hidden track.

3. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Hidden where ?

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I can’t believe it’s still sitting there at that price. I tried to help you out and wrote a little positive blurb but they deleted it. I don’t know why they do that, or spend the time to do so. It isn’t like it’s hurting anyone. The sound is fantastic, as is the track list. I guess most people here must already have it.

Mr. Explorer and Mazzy like this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Like I don’t know why they spend the time closing threads from awhile ago and you have to request to open them again.

ParloFax and Jrr like this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It's not a rarities compilation; there's nothing new on it and only a couple of tracks that didn't appear on standard albums or hits compilations.

It's also not a hits collection, because most of the tracks weren't singles.

Here's how Paul describes it:

Me and my team came up with the idea of putting together a collection of my recordings with nothing else in mind other than having something fun to listen to. Maybe it's to be enjoyed on a long car journey or an evening at home or at a party with friends? So we got our heads together and came up with these diverse playlists from various periods of my long and winding career.

7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

You know what I've been having fun listening to? A CD of his b-sides, rarities, and obscure album tracks that I put together myself. Daytime Nighttime Suffering, Robber's Ball, Cage, 1882, The Mess, etc. Why can't he put out something like this? I betcha it would make a great 2-CD release.

8. Beatles Fan 4 Life

Beatles Fan 4 Life Forum Resident

I curious since I can't find your posting, how much are you selling it for?

9. $45 shipped. I just refreshed it to the top of the vinyl for sale thread

10. Beatles Fan 4 Life

Beatles Fan 4 Life Forum Resident

Ok, Thank you.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Perhaps, but then we'll bring up the grammar of "I don't wanting tainting..." and you'll be in trouble. :nyah:

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I wouldn't mind tainting TBQH.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

14. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

IIRC the vinyl box does not have all the songs on the 4 CD, is that right?

15. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

41 tracks on the vinyl...lots more on the 4cd set.

16. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Lewisboogie and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Gotta spin this 4 cd box tonight. WOW!! Two years already since its release.

18. I don't understand this product. As it is posted at Amazon, the vinyl discs include 4... 5... 6 max. songs each?.. Are these 45 RPM 12 inches or LPs?...

19. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I really thought Pure McCartney was just a random Hodge podge, that zigzags through to many eras & decades aimlessly.

I wouldn't buy it. The only attraction would be cleaner new mastering on tracks that needed it.

BUT, I've softened my view because. If I was say 16-25 years old, had 1-2 McCartney albums I inherited from my parents or siblings, with limited discretionary income for new music. I can see why Pure McCartney is a good buy for casual fans or especially young fans.

McCartney has so many albums, roughly, 25 studio pop albums. Half a dozen classical albums, 3-4 ambient type albums. A Wings era hits album, 1 greatest hits that only goes to about 86-87. Plus what ? About 10 live in concert albums. Plus all the non LP tracks ( lots of those ) guest appearances with Ringo, George Michael, Tony Bennett, Buddy Holly tributes, Ian Drury, & a gazillion other things.Not to mention 15-20 must haves, from The Beatles albums. Literally a hundred albums on the market.

So I can see why a lot of tracks for one low price, is attractive for an artist like McCartney with such a huge discography.

But if I were advising a friend, I'd try & recommend 4-5 of McCartney's best studio albums instead. But then most kids & young people aren't aware of, or don't believe in the whole idea of an album, but more the random streaming type of tracklist you'd find on Pure McCartney.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I think that adding Spies Like US, My Brave Face, and the live version of Maybe I’m Amazed would have been great. Add another disc of b sides and a few rarities, and it would have sweetened the pot for even hardcore fans.

TimM, Hep Alien, Mr. Explorer and 2 others like this.
  21. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Pure worked perfectly for me. Still does. I knew about a third of the songs (ie the "classics"), and nothing post 1980's. What's so great about it for a "non-fan" is that the new material holds up against all the other stuff--not knowing which albums most of the tracks come from means I pretty much hear them all on a level.

22. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

It was creepy. But it's great too ! Or will be, whenever they improve the technology.

I'm imagining things like a DVD of The Beatles doing Sgt Pepper or The White album. Or The Traveling Wilburys or whoever.

I don't want to go to a live show of a hologram. But I'd love other applications, like a $25 DVD product that shows the Beatles & other classic artists doing a classic album, with pristine sound.

If you can get it to look real, you could do the 1966 sequel to the Beatles Help film in 1965. Write a screenplay, do the Beatles images & dialogue, voila ! The 6th Beatles movie. Or do one of the early Who with the My Generation or WHO Sell Out as the soundtrack !!!

To the poster a few messages back, I'd draw the line at computers composing, recording new Beatles albums, that are totally artificial intelligence.

But applying technology to create a new film, using Revolver, The White album or Abbey Road as the soundtrack, & their lifelike images from the 60s, singing, playing, reciting dialogue, would be great.

I remember a John Wayne commercial from 20-30 years ago, after he had died, that got huge attention, because an artificial image of Wayne appeared & did dialogue in the commercial.

Are those the studio records playing behind Orbison, or a live band ? To make it more realistic ? I guess it must be.

23. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Plenty of room to add those and more. Somewhere back in this thread i posted my reworked version. I think I removed a dozen songs, added 16 new ones and created a set I am still listening to.

24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think the sequencing is pretty strong for a 4-cd set.
    Following Rockshow with Temporary Secretary is a stroke of genius and I also like Mrs. Vandebilt right after Junior’s Farm. Also like Warm And Beautiful set apart from the rather tame ATSOS album. Bip Bop and Temporary show his defiant attitude. Love seeing em here. It’s not perfect (I would have substituted Arrow Through Me with something like Old Siam Sir or Getting Closer from the BTTE album, FITD should have been represented, With A Little Luck should have been full-length and I miss several songs), but by and large it’s a great overview.

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I would have been surprised if something from Driving Rain would have been included...

Heather no-go era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.