2016 Rega Planar 1 Spindle

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The spindle diameter is quite a bit less than all my records. There is a lot of play when placing a record on the platter. It is never centered perfectly or close to perfect. Is this common to all the plastic Rega sub platters? I plan on getting Deepgroove or Tangospinner sub platter as the next upgrade.

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Yours may be worse than usual. This is an old post. I would get a new subplatter from your dealer as a warranty item. The only other thing I can think of is that you are using a thicker than standard mat. The spindle is shorter than most and is tapered.

3. MIA2RDU

MIA2RDU Well-Known Member

I think you have a dud and I would look at getting a warranty replacement subplatter or upgrading to a TangoSpinner or GrooveTracer subplatter. I have the P1 (2016) and did not have this problem with the stock subplatter...that being said, I upgraded to a TangoSpinner and was just floored by the difference.

4. rockin_since_58

Thank you for your response, I am planning on the TangoSpinner subplatter soon.

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I bought the Groovetracer Reference subplatter. It 'do' make a huge difference.

6. rockin_since_58

What improvement did you get by upgrading the subplatter?

7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Much better speed stability. As in perfect. Much lower noise floor. Makes for a 'blacker' background. Hope that helps. Sounds like an authoritative masterful turntable. Like a big table.

MIA2RDU likes this.
  8. rockin_since_58

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.