2017 Halloween Scary Movie Challenge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SquishySounds, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the best Micheal ever looked..he should have stopped there...poor soul.

ando here likes this.
  2. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Well-Known Member

I watched Nightmare on Elm Street 4 last night. Today I have watched Tower of Terror and Ghostbusters (original... I do not acknowledge that more recent "movie" with the same name).

Matthew Tate and beat_truck like this.
  3. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Twixt (2011)

W in TF did I watch?

4. Nice Marmot

All Cheerleaders Die (2013)

A Lucky McKee movie; which means, it's worth a watch but you're not really going to love it or hate it.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  5. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales (1960, Rogelito A. Gonzalez)
    Twisted but light-hearted send up of Mexican melodramas involving a hearty taxidermist, Pablo, and his miserable shrew of a wife who ends up as another one of his cadavers. Not preserved well but more than watchable. Halloween favorite.

Jimi Bat likes this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

And they do a good job with that aspect of it in this film.

7. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice. Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    The VVitch: A New-England Folktale
    - Was looking forward to this one and it didn’t disappoint. Well paced, well acted, well directed. Takes a bit to get used to the early 17th century English, I suggest using the subtitles.

5/5. Just does everything right. Even the rabbit looks ominous in this movie.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was doing a little research on demons in the middle ages and they were supposed to resemble goats.

9. I enjoyed it a lot for a modern teen horror film. All Cheerleaders Die got a Blu-ray release. Supposedly a sequel is in the making.

All Cheerleaders Die Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

Nice Marmot likes this.
  10. Nice Marmot

I'd guess that would be in relation to "Pan". Christians tended to make everything pagan out to be evil in order to scare people into the fold. The word "Baal" is another example. Once a term within a non-Christian religion it now is considered to be a demon from hell. Witches, themselves, would be another example. They had to be evil, rather than just pagan, to justify all of those executions.

Pan:

[​IMG]

To take it even further, Pan was very mischievous and amorous. You can't have that within Christianity because people need to feel guilty, instead.... a very evil deity, indeed.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Unknown Delight and ando here like this.
  11. SquishySounds

They certainly look the part with their creepy pupils
    [​IMG]

12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Never Hike Alone" (2017) - a way cool "Friday the 13th" fan film about a lone backpacker who discovers the ruins of Camp Crystal Lake - and has a run-in with its most famous resident. All "Friday the 13th" fans should check this out, it's a little less than an hour long and is watchable on YouTube. I'm impressed.

13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  14. Shortwave is a very interesting, somewhat smart indie monster thriller. Take a dash of Ex Machina and toss in aliens for gritty psychological terror. The first act is a little slow but the action ramps up nicely.

Shortwave Review - DoBlu.com

15. SquishySounds

[​IMG]
    The Lords of Salem
    - I was looking forward to this one for a few years but was very disappointed. The fact it never made it to the local redbox or Netflix probably should have clued me in.

A radio DJ plays a magical record that causes hallucinations about the Salem witch trials. And her downstairs neighbors are witches. One thing leads to another and the devil knocks her up. The whole movie leads to a ten minute psychedelic freak-out montage involving a Juggalo, a dwarf in a rubber abortion costume, and a faceless bishop... er, flogging his bishop.

2/5. Rob Zombie delivers a visually sumptuous, lovingly crafted pile of crap.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Michael

just got this...Howl
    [​IMG]
    anyone see this?

17. Michael

absolutely...how many time have we've seen a demon resembling this animal! look above...sort of.

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Dudes, you're really veering into some spoiler territory here - remember not everyone has seen this.

19. Michael

Huh?

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Not necessarily you, Michael - more for others posting on this page about "The Witch." Sorry, your post happened to be easiest to reply to and was similar.

Michael likes this.
  21. SquishySounds

This whole thread has been spoilers.

Spoiler Alert! Most horror movies are awful

Nice Marmot and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

thanks for the clarification.

23. Nice Marmot

I've seen this and do not remember a thing about it except that I watched Zombie's next movie (titled with just a number?) and shut it off after about 20 minutes because it was even worse.

24. SquishySounds

I’ve never seen a demon, goat-ish or otherwise. Are you OK, Michael? Is your house built over a cemetery?

Michael likes this.
  25. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

The Blob (1958)

It's indescribable, indestructible, nothing can stop it, and it eats you alive! The Blob is a low budget B movie from the post television boom of the 50s, when boisterous, schlocky movies intended for teenagers were screened at late shows and drive-in theaters. I have a certain soft spot for this era of low budget flicks that were always screened as double features, and often involved the super natural and/or outer space. The Blob is no better or worse than the bulk of these movies, but it gained notoriety in subsequent years due to its star who would eventually become a legend of the screen, Steve McQueen.

The premise is that a meteorite-like object crashes into the country side and is discovered by a local recluse. He pokes and prods at it with a stick until it cracks open and a translucent goo begins oozing out and moving up his stick. Steve McQueen and his girlfriend were out driving, saw the meteorite, and are investigating when they come across the old recluse who is now hysterical as the goo has engulphed his hand. McQueen takes the man into town to the local doctor, and that's the set up. The goo is in town now, and grows into a blob and begins wreaking havoc. There's not much more to it really.

It's quite an enjoyable and entertaining picture that is expertly paced. The running time is short, and the plot cruises right along. There are a few laugh out loud moments, as well as a few dramatic moments of tension. The lead actors McQueen and Aneta Corsaut (from the Andy Griffith Show) as his girlfriend, both turn in convincing performances to the point that I genuinely cared about their plight by time of the climactic scene. Sure, the movie has its share of faults, but it's a low budget midnight movie made for teenagers, what do you expect? It's good for what it is.

Tim S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.