2017: The Doors 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...i apologized to you and the freedomman forum already for letting my emotions get the best of me that day but it happens in life. I've been under a lot of stress lately. I just was released from the hospital after two weeks being admitted into treatment.
    ....couldn't or I didn't? I remember I tried to share a film clip but was unable to provide a working link. That's the honest truth. I talk how I talk. How you interpret my talking is no business of mine. What you think of me is not any of my business either, so let's just leave it at that Danny Boy... over the last 7 or 10 years I was the first to share the soon to be released BMA releases to forum. I was glad to and answer any questions and I always answered in truth... show me one post where I lied or made things up. More importantly let's move on. peace be with you.....

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Brian May just unveiled the Queen Monopoly set. Give it time.

...actually both of those would look lovely next to my Beatles Monopoly set...dangit

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Pat's, would you like to address this? I'm in need of a little entertainment today.

5. lovemygirl

...The Doors complete Matrix master recordings will be released. Let me try to explain in simple laments terms....the master reels were purchased & are a part of the 'The Doors Archieve'...why hold the recordings hostage? How does that affect The Doors , the label(s), production, cost & the fans?
    The question I think is most important is will the official 'Complete Matrix Recordings Box Set' be released in 2017 or 2018.....

6. That depends on whether The Doors want to protect copyright. For the complete recordings to be copyright protected they HAVE to be released this year. Something tells me they won't be and therefore they won't be!

7. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

In fairness it should be added that the record company in the case of the VU adopted a similar approach to what we are now witnessing in the case of The Doors: one year before the full Matrix set saw the light of day (late 2015), two discs of "highlights" were already included in the Super Deluxe Edition of the VU's 3rd album (released late 2014). Even taking into account that VU fans were treated more generously in advance (if we're lucky, The Doors' first and second album deluxe sets will offer half of what VU fans got "in advance"), the fact remains that 1/3rd of the "1969 SDE" was made redundant by the subsequent "complete" box set.

8. lovemygirl

...The Doors own the Master Reels, which have never been available in complete warts n all or bootleg form...The Matrix bootleg has been around and recycled for years...The Doors received nothen from the circulated boots.
    The Doors are now in control of all present & future releases of 'the matrix' MASTER' recordings....

SteveM likes this.
  9. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

That's scary.

10. That's true enough and from the strict point of view of (maybe mastering and EQ questions aside) improved sound quality from the masters, you're quite correct to say The Doors now own and have full control of something which in this form has NEVER been bootlegged.

BUT, the 4CD boot can be legitimately (re)produced and sold on Amazon and the like from January 1st 2018. Surely they want to capitalise on their asset and not see unscrupulous "grey marketeers" exploit the situation. After all it is not entirely inconceivable that there might be new consumers for this material who are hitherto unaware of the existence of the original boots (not to mention the issue of availability to purchase it) and therefore might jump on subsequent EU copies, if they appear, as they would be far more complete than the 'official' 2008 release. Or put simply, it might be yet another golden opportunity missed by the management.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Shawn likes this.
  11. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"simple laments" for my c**k?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well now, the only material this would concern would be anything still unreleased. The "use it or lose it" law is not applicable to everything already released. All the material on the original Matrix album will be public domain in 2079.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Only the Matrix tracks NOT on the 2008 double CD(2017 tracks if any aren't on the 2008 release) are at risk of losing copyright. This includes the 2 fleshed out instrumental songs not heard by nearly all hardcore fans.

The 2008 CD is official and authorized when the Matrix tape holder retroactively approved it in 2009 when he sold the master tapes and signed paper work.

14. Yes, these points are well understood by most of us here but has anyone yet done a recce to check which tracks released in the 50th set over-lap with the 2008 set to determine how many "officially unreleased" Matrix recordings still exist which were on the vintage 4CD boots and therefore circulate freely in the public domain? Maybe the vulnerability of a handle of circulated tracks doesn't worry The Doors' management if this is the case?

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Is it possible that The Doors deluxe and inevitable Strange Days deluxe will include all/most of the tracks not on the 2008 2-disc set, thereby protecting all/most of the Matrix tracks? How many individual song performances were there across the tapes?

The more I think about that 2008 set, the more appalling it seems. An official release from a low-signal copy of the masters, issued without the permission of the taper, with only some tracks selected and those re-ordered to reflect (sort of) the first two LPs' running orders, with a couple of gaps plugged by bootlegged versions with digital reverb added? You'd be a bit disappointed in that if you bought it as a bootleg...yet it was an official release.

It will be a miracle if this comes out as a proper, comprehensive, well-mastered and fairly-priced set...and no, it's not "business" to release crappy product for extortionate prices, despite what one or two on here maintain.

16. lovemygirl

17. lovemygirl

18. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

The YT commenters are pretty sure this is fake.

19. lovemygirl

...I posted the video for Tony Funches passing earlier in the day...'riders on the storm'...

20. lovemygirl

...I'm pretty pleased with all the BMR/BMA releases made available which Danny S. played a key role in getting started. In the beginning danny released complete concert recordings, Jim Morrison interviews (2), a radio broadcast and the private rehearsel aquiaurous recording.
    ...I hear a lot of negative reviews concerning the 'London Fog' boxset. Cost, art production, amount of music included in the box which is about a half hour, limited release / units not being sold due to high cost or the amount of music included in the box set. The box set doesn't apeal to everyone; some fans only wish for a single cd release...I personally like the London fog boxset. But I can see why a lot of fans being very unpleased and upset.
    I like the concept As well as the 50th anniversary treatments for the doors first two LPs/records...but that's just me...
    ...the doors team will make up for the 2008 fiasco concerning the release of the matrix recordings and will be releasing a full box set from the master reels...all in good time...

Lhystrix and Tjazz like this.
  21. masswriter

promises, promises .. by then I won't care.

rockclassics likes this.
  22. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I posted this comment earlier, but I'm super disappointed with the 50th anniversary box. No demos, no sunset recordings, no avalon tracks, no light my fire single edit. I would've wanted it to be the 'end all' purchases for the The Doors first album.

23. masswriter

They aren't done milking that teat.

24. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

i do like the concept too nicole, but not the ejecution. i mean, remember the box Love Deat Travel? it was really a book, not a hardcover with single sheets on it

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is what the fans wanted, but the band and its management produced some very different and largely underwhelming.

anastasios likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.