2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Saw Todd play that live (same tour anyway). Liked his solo in "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago"
    on his previous tour a little bit better.

2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Thx. For the good feedback.

I think with ELO they sort of acknowledged the Move in a way, but don't think the Move as a band will get a nod. Too English, not enough USA exposure.
    Lulu also. Too UK. But heckuva talent and voice. Way overlooked.
    Tommy James I think, has less a chance than the Raiders.
    I think the Monkees will eventually get a nomination. Would not surprise me within next 5 years.
    T Rex - that's a long shot.

Also, Steppenwolf got a nom. And failed. Have they missed any chance now.
    Think acts like Three Dog Night, Guess Who, Grand Funk, Grass Roots are sort of pegged low echelon and may never get a nom.

ampmods likes this.
  3. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

The thing people forget about the Raiders is that they influenced a HUGE number of US garage bands. They were probably the most influential US band on our homegrown garage bands. But, as the hall (and RS mag) has pretty much no interest in THAT part of R'n'R history, it's unlikely they will ever be inducted.

4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Foreigner went out on tour with cheap Trick both on their 40th anniversary tour with Foreigner as the headliner and Cheap Trick is the band in the HoF. Foreigner sold a ton more albums and had a ton more hits.

Well how about how Phil Collins was way more successful than Peter Gabriel and can still play in bigger venues but Peter is in in Phil is not.

Matthew Tate and Brian Lux like this.
  5. Lightworker

The DC5 had some nice "sleeper" LP cuts too...especially if you enjoy 60s-style fuzztone guitar.

EasterEverywhere and seed_drill like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yes, but like a dancing horse, it might not be the world's most graceful dancer...

His only competitor in the "Best guitar solo followed by a backflip" category is Nils Lofgrin and he was using a trampoline and doing it on the ground.

7. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes. Raiders to me, are the epitome of the garage band, and for that, they deserve the HOF.
    Listen to their records.
    It's great, unvarnished rock.

mrbobdobalina and seed_drill like this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Cars influenced/covered by:

Nirvana by a cars tune at their final show
    Weezer worked with Ocasek
    Pumpkins worked with Ocasek
    Melvins
    Pulp
    Strokes
    Rundgren

Hawkes also played with McCartney.

9. Chris DeVoe

Is that how headlining order is determined? I thought it was via arm wrestling.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Shouldn't the 2nd Bon Jovi bass player Hugh McDonald be inducted with them after 24 years?

Other groups had later members and salaried musicians inducted. RHCP/Metallica/Ronnie Wood.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Once the 60s counterculture started being the gatekeepers of taste, the Raiders had trouble being taken seriously even by the late 60s. It was the same Image and TV/showbiz problem that plagued The Monkees. I agree. Listen to their records.

12. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I did listen to it last night. The tracks written by producer "Jacknife Lee" didn't capture my imagination. A few sounded to sequencer generated for my tastes.

The tune "Too Late" had an 80's pop sense to it. Simple but I liked it.

"Keep On Knocking" was the only track with some notable guitar. Though, a bit surprised Elliot had such a muddy fuzz tone. (shrugs)

I would like to hear "Take Another Look" done acoustically (guitar and piano).

13. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Well I'm drawing comparisons to show its not just about popularity, even enduring popularity, or album sales.

14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not so sure about that. Ben Davidson was quite feared around the AFL.

TeddyB, Meyer and seed_drill like this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I have to admit to having no idea who Ben Davidson was, but I get it through context.

Steve Carras likes this.
  16. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Would like to add.
    Two American 60s bands that may be considered 'marginal' or more of a cult band for nomination.
    Bobby Fuller Four
    Love

Love may eventually get a nom.
    Fuller may be considered way too brief a career.

17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I like the Zombies, they had a cool sound and a knack for melodies, but they didn't really have a big enough body of work or impact, IMO. They had three solid hits. Their albums weren't great sellers, though Odyssey and Oracle has posthumously been recognized as a cult classic. How many bands did they really influence in a significant way?

seed_drill and Lightworker like this.
  19. Lightworker

The Zombies influenced hundreds of 60s North American rock bands 1964-1967. Even major acts like The Byrds and The Guess Who.

keyXVII, R. Cat Conrad and Mylene like this.
  20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Zombies were very influential and deserve induction.
    One of the best and influential British bands.
    I think they will appear again next year in nom.
    Get a good Zombies anthology (I prefer the Decca stereo set) and "Odyessy" and you will be convinced

21. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Maiden and Priest should be in there, based on any criteria you can think of. Apparently none of the hall voters ever saw an entire generation of teen boys decked out in Maiden t-shirts and these bands selling out arenas worldwide. At this point, I think I'm just tired of this institution and whatever values it supposedly has.

WilliamWes likes this.
  22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It's just much easier to not care what the HOF does and just talk about who got in or just just don't talk about it at all.

blueslover99 likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Of my more than 1300 School of Rock videos, the most watched (nearly half a million views) one is the Chicago kids doing Judas Priest's Victim of Changes:

Every single kid in the program is going to play Priest or Maiden at some point.

Meyer likes this.
  24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I watched it once, that was enough.:wave:

Mazzy and ArpMoog like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

It's not my favorite, but then neither are Maiden or Priest. But it is the most popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.