$22 Monoprice headphones takes on $150 Bose and Audio-Technica rivals

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

3. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

The gist: They beat the Bose, but don't beat the Audio-Technica.

Seeing as how the Bose sells for $100 more than it should (for the sound) that's not surprising. Sounds like a good deal. Probably be great for something to throw in the bag for portable use.

4. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Without trying them??

Billy Infinity likes this.
  5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If I were in the market for new headphones and there was a store where I could audition the Monoprice 'phones, I would certainly check them out. I would go in with the assumption that I wouldn't be incredibly impressed, though, since I do my home headphone listening on Sennheiser 580s and gym IEM listening on Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10s, both of which I assume would outperform the Monoprice 'phones by a mile (as well they should since they both cost considerable more).

I actually didn't use my 580s for years because the earpads had started to deteriorate and I didn't get around to ordering replacement pads. Now that they are back in service, I am again wowed by how nice they sound -- even when driven directly by a not-high-end portable device. Very, very nice midrange these Sennheisers have.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The ATH-M50s are really amazing for the price.

Vidiot and noahjld like this.
  7. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Can Bose sue the reviewers for being a bunch of meanies, a-la Monster Cable?

8. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I ordered a pair. We'll see.

They had 50 pairs this morning and they're all sold. They must be wondering what hit them.

9. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'd buy a pair if the shipping to Australia wasn't more than the 'phones!

Poison_Flour likes this.
  10. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Big fan of monoprice's products (and prices), so I'll likely give these a shot. Thanks for the link.

11. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Same here, I'll give them a try. For $22 I can take them for travel instead of my HD600's and not worry about them getting broken or stolen.

12. poidog

poidog Senior Member

These are back in stock if anyone's interested.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I just ordered!! :D

14. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Can anyone compare them to Sennheiser HD280s or Sony MDR-V600s?

Daniel Thomas and phish like this.
  15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

OK - I'm in for a pair. I have sort of been looking for an inexpensive pair for my iPod Touch.

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just got mine in the mail today. Listening to them right now - Led Zeppelin I. So far, I like what I hear.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Got mine a few days ago but they will go under the tree for now.

19. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Any reviews?

20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Love my Monoprice cables, but I'll stick with my $35 JVC HA-RX700 headphones.

21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...r-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC/ref=cm_rdp_product for $20, these sound pretty good (almost comparable to my Audio-Technica AD700s ...
    http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...S0XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324927043&sr=8-1
    They are not overly bassy, but I think the bass is there (not emphasized). I'm not a 'bass freak' but if you are, these may not be for you.

The HD201s are extremely comfortable, and sound and certainly feel MUCH better than the newer HD202s, IMO.

22. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

I bought a pair based upon the reviews

My impressions:
    Well built. Headband and ear pieces are comfortable. I like the detachable cord feature.
    Sound:
    Not bad. For $21.00 pretty impressive. I don't listen to anything Bose makes, and I'm not familiar with the AT headphones used in the test, but I compared the Monoprice to my stock AKG K-240's. Not even close. The quality in the AKG drivers is superior and noticeable immediatly. Bass is cleaner in the AKG's, and deeper, vocals are much more seamless and natural, the sound is more open and the detail is vastly superior on the AKG's. The AKG's have way less distortion. Having said that, the AKG's sell for over $100.00 and the Monoprice is $21.00. For $21.00, they are pretty decent sounding phones. It's like a 320 bit rate MP-3 file. Sounds fine until you compare it with something better.

23. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Hard to beat for the price maybe even double the price. I use them to listen to TV late at night. Perfect for that.

24. mrtownshend

mrtownshend Member

Wow...The guy from Police Academy & Short Circuit fame has been reviewing headphones?? Whodathunkit?? lol

eyeCalypso likes this.
  25. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

I got mine and they sound great! I've been listening to them for about a week. Easily the best ones I've had in recent memory. I'll be ordering a spare set. Unless I get a gift of fancier ones, I can definitely live with these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.