$22 Monoprice headphones takes on $150 Bose and Audio-Technica rivals

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Thats EXACTLY what happened to me. I think the cleaners must depend on the extra dough for selling all their booty on eBay! I left my Cowan player as well as the phones :( I resolved to take onboard "loseable" gear in future.

2. imarcq

Well.....the monoprice's have landed. I think they easily sound pretty good for $20. Infact I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD215 which cost me about $120.

They do sound loud through my amp and I can only get up to about 3 on my old Pioneer SA-5300 without deafening myself. No distortion though. But on the Cowan player this doesn't happen, so I guess it's amp specific. They are quite solidly built too. I've got pretty small ears, but if you're dumbo then you'll hate these. Thats where the Sennheiser's were better, a bit lighter and more comfy with increased ear-room. Plus I could turn up the Pioneer Amp more with the Sennheisersas they were quieter on the A/B comparison.

BUT hey for less than $20 (Just $18.56) as they have a 20% off sale on NOW) I'm happy to take them onboard my next flight, and leave them for the cleaners to steal!!!! They do fold inside themselves nicely so are actually perfect to pack up in your bag. Nice long lead also. Plus my old curley Sennheiser lead fits them.

I quite like the vinyl earpads but some won't. The pads on my Sennheisers have been eroding badly and leaving black plastic bits stuck over my ears. I don't think the vinyl ones will do this - so they might actually last for some time without much wear. I'd say give them a shot - even just to leave on an airplane next Christmas!!!

Eyesoftheworld likes this.
  3. imarcq

Just checked and the promotion ended! But you can still use code CATALOG12 to get 10% off! If you are overseas (from USA) get together with family and friends as the shipping isn't cheap for one pair - but if you buy a few the cost per unit (inc shipping) falls dramatically.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Something I need some help on is burn-in. How exactly do I do this? Just leave them plugged in and playing for a few days? I've never done this before so any advice is welcome here :)

4. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

So using your Sennheisers as a benchmark, how much would you say they were worth if you could assign a dollar figure to them (if you didn't know what monoprice was charging)?

5. Not a big headphone guy but I'd say they hold their own at $50. They're a little tipped on the treble & tight punchy bass but a fun listen if you want to rock out. I reach for these when I want to hear a RL Zepp II or Cars ST late at night. They are also a little "clampy" on my head as i'm used to a more relaxed fit. They kind of remind me of my old Koss Pro4/AAA, which I guess is a compliment. My go to headphones are still an old pair of Austrian made AKG K240 monitor.

6. imarcq

Dunno. You can pick up the Sennheiser HD215 for less than I paid - about $80 I believe. But I'm not a headphone expert, and don't know the market - so no point in plucking a figure from nowhere. Having said that, I would say the monoprice could easily sell for $50 as a minimum. They are quite well made too.

These are the Sennheisers I have:

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Sennheiser-HD215II

7. Eyesoftheworld

Eyesoftheworld Active Member

I own these and gave a bunch of them as christmas gifts. Everyone thought they got very expensive cans. The typical comment was...these are so much better than my full size beats.

1. They need burn in...24-36 hours of yes or pink floyd at above average volume will do the trick. Then listen...

2. If you spend an extra ten bucks on these cushions, they are much more comfortable and you can listen for hours...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26152580481...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

these cushions improve the sound stage and the signature.

3. I sold my Grado 80s on ebay after I got these. I own AT M-50s and these will get you 80 percent there as is. I reach for these anytime I leave the house because as mentioned earlier, if someone steals these, I am out 20 bucks or so.

8. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on the pads - I use these Monoprices at work and the vinyl is beginning to crack.

9. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

I think I will pick up a pair .. I need a set of closed 'phones for mowing the lawn.

10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Had them for a few monfhs. They sit in the drawer. Paid closer to 30 plus shipping. Sound is Ok, not great. Way too heavy, bulky, tight and uncomfortable. Beware.

11. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

Mine broke after a few weeks of use. I thought they were OK. I like the Koss phones I have now better (UR-20).

12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Monoprice 8323DJ headphones are what I use at work. Imo they are an excellent value and sound much better than you'd think. Don't knock'm until you try'm.

13. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I picked up a pair of these for my 7 year old daughter to use with her kindle. I got sick of buying cheap headphones in Marshalls that would wind up being garbage in less than a weeks time. She wound up snatching my Iron Fist Motorheadphones from me and she really liked them (until they wound up breaking at the cup joint on both sides - and I did get a replacement set direct from Sweden). The monoprice phones looked very similar, had decent reviews and I liked the fact that it has the detachable audio cord. I figured that 95% of the problems we've had with her headphones is the cord going bad (probably from her misuse) and a channel cutting out so if I can replace the cord then I might be able to keep the headphones for a decent amount of time. So far so good, I think they sound OK... certainly good enough for a little girl.

14. Wally Swift

I listened to one of my coworkers $300 Beats and my Monoprice cans sounded better.

15. Wally Swift

My only complaint about the Monoprice cans is that they squeak a bit. Listening to Iron Maiden at work ain't a problem. Listening to quiet music at home though is problematic that's why I bought my Grados.

16. Eyesoftheworld

They will replace them. Monoprice is a very customer friendly company. I broke a pair by dropping them on hard concrete. Monoprice told me to toss them and send me a brand new pair within a week.

As far as people thinking they sound okay...they sound phenomenal. You can never compare a new set of cans to something you've been listening to for months. 36 hours of break in is needed for any set of headphone.

I once owned the Koss you have. Those are bad boys for $25 bucks and comfy too.

17. Eyesoftheworld

I will buy your pair.

18. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

To clarify, I thought the Monoprices sounded fine, better than the price would imply for sure. But they really clamped my head, I couldn't keep them on for more than 20 minutes or so.

19. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

The pair I bought (on the advise of this thread) has had the rubber piece on the headband come un-glued and fall out, the left ear driver rattles and are un-revealing in the voice range. Won't be buying any more of these.

20. Eyesoftheworld

Why not send them an email? They will replace them. Monoprice sells more then just headphones, and they stand behind their products. Sometimes they just ask you to take a picture of the defect.

Shawn likes this.
  21. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I installed the velour ear cushions mentioned above - they did change the character of the headphones and also made them way more comfortable. A good $13 investment.

Sound-wide - a little more treble and less "fat" sounding. Soundstaging seemed to gain a touch more width. Sounds more neutral than before. YMMV, of course. I still prefer my inexpensive Grado SR60s, but for my job the modifed Monoprices will do.

22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I've had these for 8 months or so, and I enjoy them. Gaming, and music listening. I will say, though, that I have to be very careful with volume - even after short listens my ears ring. I don't listen at what I would consider loud volumes.

23. Wally Swift

24. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

awwwwww..and free shipping today! Feel like Heston at the end of "Apes"

Order placed along with some other crap. :help:

25. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

I've got the Monoprice cans and they do sound better than any Bose headset I've tried. Compared to my Audio Technica ATH-M30s and ATH-M50s headphones they fall short (as expected). The AT cans sound better, are WAY more comfortable and just feel better to hold and on your head (no creaky sounds like previously mentioned with the Monoprice).

With that said, the Monoprice headphones are still the best $20 dollar headphones I've heard by far, and for a pair of "beater" headphones they're unbeatable (I use mine with an electronic drum kit). The fact they have a removable cord is awesome as well. I noticed a huge improvement when I ditched the included cable and subbed in an old cable from a pair of computer speakers. The cable from the computer speakers even fits in the Monoprice cans better than the included cord, it's like they were made for one another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.