24/96 flac to 24/96 wav??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

Gosh, my head's gonna explode! :)

I saw the thread regarding burning 24/96 files in the Audio Hardware thread, but it still leaves me scratching my head a bit.

I DL'd "Band on the Run" from HD Tracks the other day and would like to burn a DVD. When I convert the .flac files to .wav, the .wav files are down-rez'd to 16/44k.

How do I create 24/96k .wav files from the hi-rez .flac files?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What are you using to covert? And what are you using to author the DVD?

3. thxphotog

I converted the files with format factory. http://www.formatoz.com/download.html

I burn the discs with the Toshiba BluRay drive that came with my HP laptop.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Trader's Little Helper should decode them properly.

5. Juniahh

Juniahh Well-Known Member

Simple. You download the flac frontend, open it up and the rest is really self explanatory.

6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I'm not sure the frontend works with Vista/7. It's many years old, and I remember problems.

Foobar2000 can also do the conversion.

7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

DB Poweramp....leave everything "as source" and choose WAV as the file type output and you are all set.

JQ

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

This is true. Flac frontend does not easily work with W7/64 bit. It can be converted but it is tricky.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It works on my HP/AMD 64-bit W7

10. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Boy, you guys aren't being very helpful.

:)

Of course it is a simple thing, here let me google that for you...

With a Mac of course all you need is toast, no need to decode but you can using Xact. with a pc you can use flac front end and then perhaps Nero 10 to burn, you want to burn a DVD-V video disc, it is compatible with 24/96 stereo. Lots of other programs will do this as well.

"Burn4Free DVD Burning software is compatible with more than 3,000 DVD, Blu-ray and CD burners. Burn data and audio from different file types (WAV, WMA, MP3, OGG, FLAC, WavPack, and CDA). Burn and save ISO files, open and save your project to disk, verify content, print compilations, copy DVD, copy BLU RAY and import your audio compilation from M3U and ASX playlists. The drives supported include dual-layer DVD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM, BD-R, BD-RE (SCSI, IDE, EIDE, and USB 1.0 and 2.0). Burn4Free, free dvd burning software.

Read more: Burn4Free DVD Burning - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/Burn4Free-DVD-Burning/3000-2646_4-10217894.html#ixzz1kzNdC4yh"

I hope you can get it going, this seems to be one of the hinderances for the adoption of higher resolution audio.

Me? i used to burn discs but now use a Mac Mini as an audio server. Saves a lot of plastic.

11. thxphotog

Everybody, thanks so much for your help.

I used 'Trader's Little Helper' to convert the files to .wav, then burned to DVD using HD-Audio Solo Ultra 4.1..

Popped the disc into my Oppo, the glorious DVD-A emblem popped up and sweet tunes started spewing from my system.

Thanks again very much for the help!!

edit: And Simon to your point about 'hinderances to adopters of hi-res audio', I think you're exactly right. I wonder how many folks download hi-res tracks, do a simple conversion of the .flac file and play it back at 16/44k without realizing they've down-res'd the files? Probably happens a lot.

12. Juniahh

Juniahh Well-Known Member

Seems to work fine for me (Win7 x86) when I convert FLAC to WAV or vice versa.

13. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Yes- it works fine. The problem is installing it. There are a number of files being locked that prevent Flac 1.21 or 1.22 with Frontend from being installed. There are a number of workarounds to get this to install on both versions of Vista and Win7(X86 and X64).

I believe any computer with Vista or above has trouble with installing this. If you Google Flac Install- you will see what I mean.

Chris

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

If anyone needs a recipe for converting 24 bit flac to 24 bit Apple Lossless, here's how I do it:

I use xRecodeII to convert flacs to Apple Lossless, and then I play the Apple Lossless songs in iTunes along with all my other music. xRecodeII is free, but really good.
    http://xrecode.com/

However, to have xRecodeII preserve 24-bit when it converts to Apple Lossless, you have to choose "external processing" in the ALAC settings, and use the following plugin:

Download the file qaac_1.07.zip from
    http://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet
    and unzip it to some folder. Then configure xrecodeII to use that external encoder for alac. Press Test button to make sure it is configured properly.

If you fail to do that and use the usual internal processing instead, 24bits gets reduced to 16bits. I've written to the developer of XrecodeII warning him that his internal processor doesn't handle 24 bit recordings natively but he doesn't seem to care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.