24 - Season/Series 7 - Discussion (Spoilers Inside)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan

Jan New Member

Once again we have 24 going PC, with the real bad guys being the Military Industrial Complex, using poor innocent terrorists as fall guys.

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I sorta agree with you, except I'll say that in the context of the show it seems perfectly reasonable. I mean, Jack is supposed to be this guy with the most experience and a sixth sense, so if he starts sniffing in the wind and acting on a hunch, that's just what the character does all the time.

One might speculate that when he pulled the gun on Tony and confronted him, he was judging Tony's reaction to the situation. Jack and his ilk are supposed to be experts at knowing when people are lying, right? So maybe he has a hunch and forces a confrontation to confirm his suspicions.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He's currently preparing himself for this season's Stratford Festival in Ontario Canada where he will be playing Macbeth and Cyrano de Bergerac. Well, at least that's what actor Colm Feore is doing. :)

Regards,

4. Jan

Jan New Member

I agree that it wasn't the smoothest plot contrivance ever written, but Tony was acting guilty as hell. Anyone would have noticed that he was trying to explain things too much.

The writers are definitely doing some idiotic things. Why have Tony smother Larry instead of letting the other guy shoot him or shoot him himself? The only thing that would have made sense with the smothering would be if Tony was only pretending to kill Larry, but it doesn't appear that happened. Unless Larry really isn't dead, which means the writers are really jerking us the **** around.

I don't know, this season is vastly improved over the previous two, but in a lot of ways it still sucks bigtime. I was going to quit watching after last season, if the current season wasn't really good right from the get-go. I think it is worth my time, but I've always hated how goofy the writing is. Moments of great stuff interspersed with large helpings of dumb stuff.

5. Jan

Jan New Member

That's quite the schedule for someone after getting a dose of a date rape drug and falling over a balcony.

6. Downsampled

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the Larry thing.

I agree with your second paragraph. In a way, the third act (so to speak) of this show or any action-thriller tends to fall apart. We've reached that point where everyone is just going crazy (or rather, the writers are making everyone go crazy) just because they are trying to crank up the drama. But it just ends up being a little annoying.

24 always seems to follow this pattern, where two-thirds of the way through, the plot comes to a tidy and satisfying conclusion, before going into the Wait, it's not actually over!! phase, which to me always seems like they're just out of ideas and milking things.

I'm still enjoying it, though. :sigh:

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

I'd say the writers had Tony smother Larry for the shock value and to give the fans something to argue over for a few weeks. Seems to have done the trick. ;)

8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

You must be too enamored with Tony to remember the evidence.

1. Two very different types of gun shot wounds led Jack to believe that there were two people involved. An armor piercing shotgun round leaves a remarkably different wound (which was very obvious) than a .22 and he was also shown the .22 spent casing. This is basic investigative deduction.

2. The trap set by Gonzalez(?) to create confusion and an opening in the perimeter was in the last and most remote quadrant of the search which required insider knowledge of both the perimeter and the sweep.

3. The question from the guy debriefing Jack about Tony’s inside witness was the final piece of the equation.

4. Since he saw Tony’s reaction after accusing him of helping Gonzalez, he knew Tony was the 2nd person and was therefor involved with killing Larry.

9. Jack's examination of Larry's body told him immediately that there were TWO assailants...the process of elimination led him to conclude that the other attacker who actually killed Larry was Tony Almeida. Not that hard to follow if you're actually paying attention to the storyline enough!:laugh:

10. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Kiefer Sutherland was on the Late Show w/ David Letterman, Friday evening. Letterman asked him if there will be another season or two of 24.

Kiefer said they will be back for Season 8, (to great applause), but that doesn't mean that his character Jack Bauer gets well soon. Keifer said, and I'm paraphrasing, "My character could be in a coma for the next 20 hours as a result of his illness."

11. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I'll be back.

12. Downsampled

By the way, how many episodes are left in this season?

13. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I'm so bummed about Tony (great writing aside....) that I cannot post....

14. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

4 more hours, with the final night being 2 episodes back-to-back (6:00am - 7:00am & 7:00am - 8:00am).

15. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Jeez, I hadn't realized it was that far along.

16. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Kinda looking forward to this one ending.

Next season: Jack vs. Tony. Spoiler: They both die (like in War of the Roses).

17. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Much better than Season 6, where most of us we were wondering when it would finally end. :D

19. Chris R

:laugh: :agree:

I'm not going to SPOILER this one as it's been in the ads for the past few days.

There's supposed to be a major plot twist this evening. Wonder what it is? Maybe Tony has gone deep.

20. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

Didn't seem like much of a twist or surprise to me.

21. Chris R

Me neither Jeff. That was a misleading FOX promo. :thumbsdn:

22. Downsampled

Yeah, what's up with that?! I thought maybe I was the only one to notice. When the episode ended, I turned to my wife and said, "Where's the big twist?" Annoying.

Does anyone get the impression something's going on with Aaron? I saw his face flash by in the preview too.

23. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I hope this overblown headbutting event doesn’t prevent Kiefer from filming next season.

24. butch

butch Senior Member

Mate, that is a bit much no offense! Jack was disoriented from the virus...c'mon. Someone who is so debilitated is not going to be so sharp. Add insult to injury, he knows psychically that Tony killed Larry? WTF? Does he have an astral form that was at the scene of the crime? Hell no! What BS this was.....The worst contrivance in the history of 24. Anyway, the last 6 episodes were originally about Jack chasing after Hodges, evidently that had an even worse idea: destroy Tony's character for the ages. It would have been intersting to see Tony take over for Jack especially now after the headbutt........

25. Jan

Jan New Member

The worst? I'm not sure it'd make it into the list of the Top 100 Contrivances. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.