2nd Chapter of Acts and the solo recordings of Matthew Ward and Annie Herring appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jan 13, 2018.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

I have noticed on the Christian Music threads that a bunch of people are fans of 2nd Chapter of Acts' music. They had a unique family harmony sound with Matthew Ward, Annie Herring, and Nelly Griesen. While Matthew and Annie have had successful solo careers, Nelly is involved with her husband's film production and distribution companies and live in Colorado but they have reunited for the "First Love" documentary several years ago and they all still sing as wonderful as ever. I will post what I can of a poll mentioning all of the 2nd Chapter of Acts albums which there are many great albums, and have the first 4 Matthew Ward solo albums and the first 4 Annie Herring solo albums with the rest of the solo catalog with "Other Matthew Ward solo albums" and "other Annie Herring solo albums" options. Their catalog is mostly owned by Universal except for "With Footnotes," "In The Volume of The Book," and "To The Bride" which is mostly a Barry McGuire album with the exception of a side and 2 songs of 2nd Chapter of Acts songs. The Roar of Love is a great concept album inspired by the Chronicles of Narnia series, With Footnotes and In The Volume of The Book are classic breakthrough albums, and they have several great albums on Sparrow. Unfortunately, the 2nd Chapter of Acts album catalog is mainly OOP on CD and CDs go for big bucks online but many of the LPs are inexpensive on Discogs, eBay, etc. Toward Eternity is also scarce on CD as well and there other scarce CDs related to this group but the vinyl is plentiful and sounds great as well. While the Live Oak label when that was around was mostly distributed by Word when it was originally released which allowed Live Oak to license With Footnotes and In The Volume of The Book for a twofer CD in 1989, etc. the material that was made for the Live Oak label based in Lindale, TX is owned by Sparrow Records/Universal. The only best of compilation of the Word owned 2nd Chapter of Acts material released is "Encores" but since that contains songs drawing only from "With Footnotes" and "In The Volume of The Book," it is better to buy the 2 albums themselves as once you like what is selected for the Encores comp, you'll love the whole albums, while the "20" and "Very Best of..." compilation CDs draw from their Sparrow owned catalog.

2. BradOlson

Annie Herring and Matthew Ward have both had great solo careers with their voices standing out on their own just as much as they blend perfectly within the group.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like the first 5-6 albums of the group best, though all have good tracks.

4. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Thanks for the poll, Brad. 2nd Chapter is my wife's favorite group. While they're a little tame for my taste (I'm more in the DA/77s/Choir camp), I always thought they were excellent at what they did. Their vocals were unmatched, and the musicians on their albums were cream of the crop. Too bad so much of their catalog is out of print on CD. I picked up a lot of them during the early days of CDs, but would still like to find Roar of Love and Toward Eternity. Thanks again.

somebodywhocares likes this.
  5. BradOlson

Roar of Love: https://www.amazon.com/Roar-Love-Musical-Journey-Wonder/dp/B000008KJ8
    Toward Eternity: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias=popular&field-keywords=matthew+ward+toward+eternity&sprefix=Matthew+Ward+To,popular,194&crid=2GDSYD7SUS53

Mark B. likes this.
  6. BradOlson

7. BradOlson

Together Live is the only album that has never been digitally mastered at all, not even for download. The Sparrow owned catalog is on CD-R through Mardel.com and on download and streaming sites

Search 2nd Chapter of Acts | Mardel

The first 2 albums can be bought on MP3 off of 2ndchapterofacts.com but the CD is scarce and only the Encores comp can be bought on CD-R from Mardel and on download and streaming sites. Encores | Contemporary | Music | Music & Video | Mardel

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Enjoy HTWWW "Live" 2nd Chapter, band David with Phil Keaggy

9. BradOlson

One of the best things they were ever involved with and BTW, A Band Called David was 2nd Chapter of Acts' touring band in their heyday and even for non-fans of the acts and want a collection to start your early CCM collection, this is a must have.

Folknik and longdist01 like this.
  10. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Great poll. I voted for their first 2, groundbreaking albums, as well as Toward Eternity. Of course, being a big Keaggy fan, I voted for one of the greatest live albums of all time, Christian or otherwise, in "How the West was One". Essential listening for any music fan.

I also selected "Other Matthew Ward albums", as I enjoy"Point of View", released on Benson in 1992. It was his last "rock" album, and thankfully he broke away from the 80s production values enough that I still enjoy it today. I also have "The Matthew Ward Collection", also released by Benson in 1992, which had the new track "My Little Ones". I remember hearing it on the radio that year while riding the in the car with my dad and liking it. It has extra special meaning for me now, as I have 4 "little ones" of my own.

yesstiles, longdist01 and BradOlson like this.
  11. BradOlson

The Benson catalog, BTW, is owned by Sony now (save for DeGarmo & Key's catalog, fully owned by Forefront/Universal and Sandi Patti's Impact/Benson catalog, owned by Word/Curb and other exceptions), so in a way, Matthew Ward has catalog owned by Word/Curb (Word/Curb is distributed by Warner Bros.), Sparrow/Universal and also Sony/Provident/Brentwood Music which are the 3 major Christian label groups.

somebodywhocares and longdist01 like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks Brad for great Threads on many CCM artists and music news!

BradOlson likes this.
  13. BradOlson

You're welcome and the threads are a success because they shy away from religious arguments, etc. The CCM artists I choose to spotlight often are threads devoted to the classics that so many people grew up on and 2nd Chapter of Acts is one of those acts that has appealed to multiple generations.

longdist01 likes this.
  14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Christian music is all I listened to in the 1970's ...... up to 1978. In 1978 it became commercial with more emphasis on professional production than message. The 1970's Maranatha label stands out as the label carrying the true identity of 'Jesus Music'. With the exception of bands like the Second Chapter of Acts, everyone else was late to the party and commercial. I am currently inventorying the 500+ Christian lps I own and it makes me ill to catalog anything in the 1980's. Christian music became the junior varsity for talent, promising air time and audience for artists that could not break into the mainstream. We didn't only lose our message when Christianity became mainstream, but we lost our music.

15. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Like all bands, the Second Chapter of Acts was greater as a whole than in their parts. Their solo outings are lacking.

16. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

BradOlson likes this.
  17. BradOlson

Links to Amazon are proof if something has been released though.

longdist01 and Mark B. like this.
  18. BradOlson

Mark B. likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"How The West Was Won" is one of the greatest live albums ever!

The 16-minute "Rejoice" with Phil Keaggy embodying the electric guitar is breathtaking.

20. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Yes. At least we know it's out there. Prices have really shot up over the last few years.

21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

To the Bride and How the West Was One are 2 of the best live albums in the genre. In addition to great music by Barry McGuire and Phil Keaggy, they both show what a dynamic live group the 2nd Chapter of Acts could be. The little spoken bits between the songs are also very insightful. I also checked The Roar of Love because I'm a big fan of C.S. Lewis and of concept albums.

longdist01 and yesstiles like this.
  22. BradOlson

23. BradOlson

So far, How The West Was One is in the lead. As far as studio albums, With Footnotes and In The Volume of the Book are in the lead.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I am amazed by this double album even today, there is no concert album which showcases Phil Keaggy the guitarist Live better!

yesstiles likes this.
  25. BradOlson

I agree. It is an album that is for all music fans, not just the CCM market.

longdist01 likes this.