(3) Turntables, which one would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The unipivot arm takes a bit to get used to. I came to VPI from a Rega deck and Thorens before that. But after a week or so, it’s really no big deal and functions perfectly. I see absolutely no reason for that add on.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

thanks, for the unipivot info. just wondering why there are people who flat out refuse to own one.

3. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I think a lot of potential owners are just intimidated by the design, I know I was a little apprehensive to own a Unipivot Design at first.

Many owners want a Plug & Play setup, the Unipivot is not that simple. But, It's not that difficult either.

avanti1960 and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If, if, if...

If the Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU/Roadrunner Tachometer was still in production, I would get the VPI if, if, if... I could put my Trans-Fi Audio T3 Pro tonearm on it and use the Phoenix gear to solidify speed to the nth degree and this only because I already own several Technics decks (one significantly modified), as well as a Thorens "belt drive" and a Dual "idler drive"... so, why not a VPI. Otherwise, I would get the Technics and transport my tonearm to that table because if it's close to or surpasses my modified 1200 (which by all reports it does), I know exactly what I'm getting. Over the years and after many listening sessions, I have come to the conclusion that Rega TT's aren't for me though I'm quite happy that others enjoy them and continue the vinyl addiction with them. It's all good.

patient_ot and HiFi Guy like this.
  5. avanti1960

After much research and deliberation I am getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these decks- albeit with very little actual hands on listening.
    So far the RP8 is the lead table with the Apheta 2 cartridge deal to kind of level the value comparison. The idea that it is faster and more dynamic in compared to the others is something I would appreciate.

My dealer who carries both is of the opinion that the sound of the Rega is better than the Technics G.

As for the Prime, I'm sure it is an amazing table, my Traveler convincingly bests a new Rega P6 in terms of speed stability and refined sound, but I think I just want to try the Rega.

mike catucci likes this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

If you didn’t care for the P6, I’d be surprised if you liked the RP8. Plus, I’m pretty sure that Alpheta needs a load of 100 ohms at most, or it’s going to be on the bright side.

Edit: My recollection was of the original Alpheta. I’m not sure if the Alpheta 2 shares the same basic sonic signature.

From ToneAudio
    The 70 ohm setting is perfect for use with Regas top of the line ($1,795) Apheta, which in our experience has always offered the best balance of high frequency extension without sounding strident at a lower impedance loading.

Loading is the secret to making the Apeheta sing. At least 100 ohms, 50-75 if you can and a touch lower if you’ve got it. If you only have a 1000 ohm setting on your phono stage, there is a high probability that you will find the Apheta bright. Anything higher than that and you will definitely find it bright and possibly way too bright.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, the Rega is made here, and the Technics and VPI imported, so the decks are at completely different price points here. You can get the RP8 with cartridge for £2300, the Technics 1200 G is £3000 and the VPI Prime £4200 (dealer prices before any discount).

mr.datsun likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Absolutely no logic in your thinking especially as you put the P6 down on speed stability. I think your choice is VPI v Technics but you need to listen to them and not go on a dealer who likely has a vested interest in pushing Rega. It was (and still is with some dealers) a problem that ruined the hi-fi industry in UK with Linn /Rega / Naim being pushed over better brands. Especially dismissing hi-end Japanese equipment.

avanti1960 and Robert C like this.
  9. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Having a bad morning Classic?

It's all down to taste. I've not heard the Traveler or the Technics, but if our US friends want to use them so what? I have trialled the new Planar 6 and see/hear nothing wrong with its speed stability, especially with the Neo PSU which definitely tightens everything up (on my RP6). Anyway, you should be trying to promote great British brands like Rega who are doing a fantastic job of promoting themselves in the now difficult US market.... and try and remember we're no longer living in the early 90s crash-era which removed a lot of cottage industry UK makers.

Dhreview16 likes this.
  10. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Just a thought, but how far down the line is a P8 due? (P8 being assumed replacement name for RP8). Either for that or any RP8 discounts. Possibly worth holding out?

11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

The best speced and engineered, the 1200G. Also bulletproof . Won't need a warranty.

Robert C likes this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Technics. Solid build.

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

At higher price levels I would normally suggest other British brands, Michell and Notts Analogue offering the best value for money in terms of sound and engineering. I actually was impressed with the new P3 but underwhelmed with earlier attempts Rega have made at more expensive products.

Dhreview16 likes this.
  14. gov

gov Forum Resident

If I were in your shoes I’d buy second hand. The vpi and rp8 show up often in both the classifieds and the usual “demo discount” places. If you don’t like it you can move on at zero or low loss. If you like it, bonus!

Only thing about the VPI that would give me pause is all the changes they make so I’d want to make sure the prime I bought was either current spec or I was clear what was not. Not sure how relevant that even is for the Prime but it was definitely relevant when I was considering a classic and scout/master.

I just grabbed a TD124 and I’m super excited to go back to exchangeable headshells. That would certainly be a check in favor of the new 1200 for me.

avanti1960 likes this.
  15. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

HiFi Guy likes this.
  16. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I paid £2,499 for the 1200G - there are a few dealers offering it at £2,500 (& Richer Sounds match them).

Dhreview16 likes this.
  17. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I have the metal 10.5 as well (on first gen Classic) - no wobbles at all, very stable.

18. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Rega are bringing out a couple of new things to the Bristol show in a couple of weeks' time. I'll keep you posted.

Shiver likes this.
  19. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with either turntable. You just have to decide whether your next serious audio toy is direct drive or belt drive. The RP8 is a stellar example of the belt drive design; the new SL1200G is a stellar example of direct drive design. I find both turntables equally exciting and lively, equally weighty, and equally chameleon-like in that they get out of the way of whatever is on an LP and fully allow the stylus and cartridge to do their jobs. Unless a music lover is literally required to do forensic analysis of music recordings for some secret government agency, a Rega RP8 with an Apheta 2 cartridge or Dynavector Karat 17D3 (among other great cartridges), or a Technics SL1200G with Soundsmith Zephyr or a Dynavector Karat 17D3 (among other great cartridges), will be superb choices that provide the kind of music enjoyment that many, many people can only dream of affording. Wonderful turntables!

As for Rega coming out with the next generation in the RP8 series, any improvment will have to be incremental only. The RP8 is already one of the great turntables on the market. A new version won't render it suddenly not-great. The only reason to wait a couple of weeks to see if Rega announces a successor to the RP8 is that it may generate some additional RP8s in the used market. Don't see many used RP8 at all and no SL1200G at all. Both turntables are just too good.

20. avanti1960

I liked the dynamics and flow to the music that the P6 delivered, I just didn't like the cartridge (Ania) and the speed seemed off a little. The Ania is too forgiving of a cartridge, very colored and lacks transparency, slightly edgy, although in all fairness it was not settled in.

21. avanti1960

understood, i did the conversion and looked up the prices for online dealers in the UK. when you buy the Apheta bundle in the US, it saves about $1000 which brings it close to the UK domestic retail. hopefully i can negotiate it down even more.

22. avanti1960

i read late '18 early '19. i'm not that patient!

Shiver likes this.
  23. avanti1960

very nice looking table (your orange Rega) but the plinth is not the same- yours is acrylic and the Regas use laminated foam core. no doubt the Technics sounds awesome but a comparison to your table is not the same as a comparison to an actual RP8 or RP10.

24. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Curious as to why the speed was off on the P6. It has the new adjustable NEO speed controller and should be able to dial in absolute speed better than the RP8. Of course, the RP8 still has better everything else. The new P8 when it comes out should include the Neo. I would own the RP8 if I could afford it, hence me settling for a new P3. I've heard the RP8 in two different systems and it is a damn fine table. Don't think you can make a bad choice from those 3 tables.

One thing to think about if you buy the Rega, you absolutely have to use a proper mount to get the table to sing. The new Rega wall mount is choice #1, if that is a no go, Quadraspire makes a bamboo shelf that will work fine. No large heavy furniture, just the opposite from the VPI.

25. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Good luck..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.