30 years Of Sting The Great & Really Bad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

That "Christmas" album was an unbelievable stinker. But I watched the "Bring On The Night" DVD last month, and remembered why I loved him 30 years ago.

2. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I feel mostly the same way, BUT, his recent The Last Ship has some good songwriting.

rcb30 likes this.
  3. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

The Police started out as a quirky rock trio, and morphed into a pop singles band.
    Sting's solo work was mostly an extension of that.
    He's not young or hungry anymore, and I can't think of anything memorable of late. But I think he wrote some good songs and left some memorable music to enjoy.

danielbravo and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I think Sting's early solo work surpasses most of his work with The Police.

The Soul Cages
    is his masterpiece. An epic achievement, both musically and from a poetry standpoint.

There have been great moments on all of his subsequent albums, but none of them have been great from start to finish.

It took me a very long time to appreciate Sacred Love, which was his last real pop/rock album. There are some great songs on it, even if the arrangement and production choices failed to serve the songs as well as they might have.

I appreciate that Sting has done his own thing and hasn't chosen to pander to the crowd that would prefer to see him stuck back in 1980.

5. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Was and still am a huge police fan. I really wanted to like his solo career, and feverishly collected all the 7" from dream of the blue turtles, but something just wasn't right. I always attributed it to him growing up and maturing and me remaining a punk, but I don't know. Still like him, but his music just doesn't resonate with me.

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If only Bring On the Night video was the actual concert and not a making of the concert, then I would agree. What a pisser that it wasn't the actual concert footage...

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Looking at singles:
    Fields of Gold is good, in my opinion, but it is clear some don't like it.
    Love is the Seventh Wave is just terrible, both the song and the video too (Sting riding on a cartoon magic carpet?) Hard to believe that a musician that had done such good work with the Police would put out a single as truly bad as this.

limoges likes this.
  8. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I wanted to disagree with you, put on Dream of the Blue Turtles and threw it in my used give away bin. It doesn't hold up over time.

dewey02 likes this.
  9. One of the things I always liked and respected about Sting, once he went solo, is he did what he wanted to do as opposed to bowing down to any label pressure. It's obvious to me that he felt the need to grow musically and I think he has done so with considerable success. It's also true that many of his previous fans while with The Police didn't cotton to much of his solo output. That's a chance a lot of solo artists take....it's a duel-edged sword.

I'm not a superfan by any stretch, but he's done some outstanding work.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm familiar with the really bad...

11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I bought and listened to Ten Sumoners a lot in 93...was getting ready to see him open for the Dead that summer. That album has some happy memories attached to it. It is nice to revisit.

BobFever and Wounded Land like this.
  12. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I thought "Dream of the Blue Turtles" would have made for another excellent, smash-hit Police album. "Nothing Like the Sun" was pretty good, too. After that, it seems to me that the muse kind of left him and I haven't bought an album by him since.

I know that's not the common opinion - he continued to self tons of albums throughout the 1990s and into the 2000s, but that's my view.

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I agree with the above. I have the same sentiment with regards to Genesis and Phil Collins.

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

With A&M you mean? Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

JeffMo likes this.
  15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

There is not a bad Police album. It's a choice between "4"s and "5"s at most. Few bands you can say that about. Although Side One of "Synchronicity" is the last Police album and Side Two is the first Sting solo album, IMO. But it sort of makes a nice bridge between the two eras in that regard.

"Dream of the Blue Turtles" and "...Nothing Like The Sun" are excellent. As is the live "Bring On The Night" set, which is my favorite Sting solo album.

After that, he is hit and miss as so many other aging/successful artists become. It was Sting himself who said at one point "I'm rich. I'm happy. I have nothing left to write about."

16. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

As I keep saying,why on earth hasn't the studio version of "Another Day" been officially released on cd? Great track.

Loup and davers like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not only that, but I'd like a complete live audio document of that tour too. The official live album left off all the pop singles from his excellent debut album.

It would be great to get a multi disc box set of this release.

John-Adam likes this.
  18. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

19. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Good to hear that he' s rocking a little.

20. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Glad I found this thread because I had no idea where to start.
    Was flipping around Tidal and saw "Bring on the Night". Maybe my favorite concert movie, and specifically, "I Burn For You".

Because it'd been so long I tried to remember that song's origins before it appeared in the movie and found it listed on a greatest hits album he released called "25".
    Now what is really weird is as I was listening, I began to wonder what was up. The song sounded like the identical arrangement to the version in the movie, but without the audience included. And sure enough about half way there is a quiet section and you can hear the crowd. What I'm wondering is, is this another performance of the song from elsewhere in the tour because the version is slightly different here - there's a structure and performance that is different starting about halfway thru and then in some parts towards the end - or did they marry different performances together for this version - or this is the exact same version as the concert movie/album version but once they took out the audience tracks it revealed parts of the song I'd never heard before?

Anyone with some background or explanation would be much appreciated. thanks!

21. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

The Soul Cages and Bring On The Night are my favorites of his solo albums.

His most recent studio album 57th & 9th was much better than I expected.

I also love The Police 2008 reunion live album Certifiable: Live In Buenos Aires. Summers and Copeland are amazing and seem to subconsciously push Sting to give his performance more of an edge than he has when he's solo.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    mikedifr0923 and Denim Chicken like this.
  22. His first four solo albums and the live album Bring on the Night vary from excellent to very good. After that, most of it was crap.

mrjinks likes this.
  23. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

I think they played all the songs a bit differently each night. With the caliber of the musicians he was playing with on that tour, improvising was no problem. The versions of the songs in the concert film and on the CDs are different.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It was...ahem...part of a package deal.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I lost interest after his albums all blended together and sounded like elevator music. Would also be refreshing if he could perform something with a tempo of higher than 60 bpm.

His last good album was 10 Summoner's Tales with the exception of the *horrendous* Fields of Gold. Can't understand why anybody would love this Muzak piece. Utter junk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.