3D TVs to start fading into history

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Have you previously watched in 3D using your Panasonic DMP-BD80? I had one that I rotated out because it's not supposed to be 3D capable (I didn't try, however). What I purchased to replace it is the Panasonic DMP-BDT500...a terrific player (except for the stupid remote), but it seems to be no longer available new.

2. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I like our 3d tv very much. We only use that feature a few times a year, and the built in 2d to 3d conversion is very good, especially on football. But since a majority of movies nowadays are post converted, there is no reason to get them in 3d... My tv almost does as good of a job on its own. Lack of software is the real issue.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It's still pretty awful, but fun, in its own way. :) Now, I'll be interested to see what you think of the blu-ray, as it has people split on hometheaterforums.com. Some of the wide and medium shots actually have some pretty lovely 3-D. Almost every shot that projects at your face (and this movie may hold a record for that type of shot) gets so close to the camera that you can't actually fuse the image. If you tried, I imagine a headache would be almost guaranteed. Seems most of the problems with the blu-ray lie with the original photography.

4. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Certain brands of Smart TV's have been shown to be susceptible to hacking, allowing potential hackers access to the onboard cameras and microphones for the purposes of eavesdropping (similar to what has happened with some nursery room monitors).

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Only if you plan on connecting them to begin with. If you don't want to use those abilities then you don't have to, just like you don't have to watch everything in 3-D if you have a 3-D set. Hackers can't magically connect to your set if your TV doesnt even know the password to your wifi. Just use them as monitors. You're never going to find a quality set in today's market without them.

6. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

Yes it plays older 3D Blu rays just fine.

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Yea, I agree with you, that article even contradicts itself, first it say they will stop making 3D tvs and then turns around and says it will probably go back and make 3D tvs the later half or later on.
    I'm enjoying my 3D tv Panasonic and my wife likes her 4K Samsung which also has 3D. Hollywood pumps out 3D movies every year so I'm good.

Whatever technology comes out next, they will try and sell it to the new buyers just like is done with music. There's enough choices for everybody, like I said, "it's all good".

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah! I just use my ST50 remote instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.