40th Anniversary Supertramp - Crime of the Century!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

MFSL vinyl was no match IMO, I sold it, SC will be next.

This cd and UK vinyl is all I'll ever need.

2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think there's only one version more dynamic on the DR database (the MFSL, at 16!). Otherwise, they all seem to be DR13 or significantly lower. At DR13 this is one of the more dynamic 'mainstream' remasters and I don't think people should be buying or avoiding it on the basis of dynamic range.

3. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

I have since found a vinyl copy of the MFSL and it's very good. Unfortunately, I am now in between TT's so I haven't had a chance to compare it to the SC reissue and I don't want to provide an opinion on just one listen.

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

If I remember correctly, the original A&M disc had noticeably more treble than the remaster, so that might account for the more audible tape hiss.

onebit likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have always wanted that! Is it any different than the standard MFSL vinyl? They are around $500 and for that I would expect the band to come over amd play in my living room!

6. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

The download from Acoustic Sounds (24-192) really does sound FABULOUS. I've heard this album hundreds and hundreds of times, but it's never sounded better to me. Well only once -- a rip of the MSFL cd played thru a dCS Vivaldi front end, Spectral amps and Magico Q7 speakers. Well over $500,000 worth of hi fi. That did sound better come to think of it.

7. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Does this remaster beat the MFSL CD? I keep asking this but no one answers. If I make a new topic, someone will whine that I didn't need to. Thanks.

pdenny likes this.
  8. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

It does for me. I'm never good at putting into words, but I hear more separation among (between) instruments and vocals; and somehow the 2014 is 'punchier.' If I'd never heard this download I'd certainly be happy with my rip of the MSFL cd, but I really do prefer this new version after doing a little a vs. b comparing today.

Others may beg to differ of course.

Master_It_Right likes this.
  9. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Instead of asking, read the thread. There is at least one person who likes the remaster over the MFSL CD. :agree:

10. Master_It_Right

Thanks for your input.

11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

As I said in my earlier post, I think it beats all previous digital versions.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just to be sure you are referring to the newly remastered CD?

Bill

13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yeah, I have the 24/96 digital download.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks :)! Is the download the same mastering as the CD? I was so focused on the Blu-ray I didn't realize the live tracks on the 2nd CD of the Deluxe Edition. I think I'll pass on the Blu-ray for the simple fact there are no live tracks included.

Bill

15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Whichever format you get it's mastered by Ray Staff.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for the information :)!

Bill

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's some disc! :D

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Has anyone confirmed that the new CD and Blu-Ray disc have the same mastering?

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

No, Pops and clicks are not inevitable, not if pressed with decent vinyl and some care. My MFSl vinyl is dead quiet. For this album I expect nothing less and will definitely return it if there are any pops during quiet passages. That would ruin this album and MFSL has shown they can be pressed without that nonsense. For most recordings I am very forgiving but on this special album, it needs to be close to flawless. Don't accept pops and clicks!

Trapper J likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Best Buy got out of vinyl about the time the revival kicked in, about six months too early. I wish they had stuck it out. We just had a store in town bring in thousands of used vinyl titles a few months ago and they now are bringing in new as well. Pretty cool!

21. I bought a Speaker's Corner edition at the start of 2013. It sounds awesome and I don't feel a need to upgrade. So is the concert album worth getting?

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

....and I would pass in a heartbeat if it were! Remastering is fine with me, but remixing an iconic album would be incredibly stupid on such a fine recording. I really doubt it was remixed. The complaints would be enormous.

23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I think it's fantastic.

JulesRules likes this.
  24. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

From earlier in the thread.

25. Master_It_Right

Thanks you're about the fifth person to tell me this. I didn't really feel like reading through 11 pages to find this though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.