40th Anniversary Supertramp - Crime of the Century!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

An interesting reaction I somehow can understand, although in this case I'm more than happy with the remaster. I had a similar experience with the surround mix of several albums like "Dark Side of the moon" or Genesis (Mama). I knew them from the good old stereo versions, which did not give everything away and somehow made them sound bigger than they were. The drum machine in "Mama" always sounded mysterious for me, hearing it then in it's full glory in surround it sounded like what it is, a simple cheap drum machine......Sometimes too much clarity takes away the "magic"....Anyone still remember listening to songs on AM Radio?

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Is the new vinyl cut all analog by Ray Staff?

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, I just got the single LP edition. Not much interest in the live stuff.
    It certainly has a LOT of weight to it. The bass drum sounds amazing, something that always bugged me about other versions. But, to me...on my system, it just sounds a bit bottom heavy and and a bit rolled off on top. Very dynamic though.

The record was flat and quiet...but ultimately I think I'll probably pull out my UK pressing when I want to listen to this.

4. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

Got another notification from Amazon CA that they can't yet fulfill my preorder. GRRR!!!

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

This is particularly true for me. Hearing productions sound like master tapes tends to demystify them for me, and this is a prime example.

I think that the recent hi-res remaster sounds extremely authentic to me. As others have pointed out, I've heard parts of this album sound more phenomenal than this version, but I think much of that was contrived in mastering or the result of exaggerated playback of the LP. The only thing that I notice is that I've heard a bit more width and depth from some of the better LP versions of this one.

This version sound to me like I'm sitting in the sweet spot in the control room while it's being mixed. I now seem to understand pretty much everything Ken is doing, which is quite an accomplishment. It's hard to tell if that's because I'm familiar with studio production or because this mastering is so starkly naked, in that all that's going on is exposed. I'm also extremely familiar with this record, and it is partially responsible for inspiring me to work in the studios in the first place.

I'm kind of curious how others without my background feel about this. This is fairly common with some of the hi-res products I've heard and one of the reasons I love them so much.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have many pressings (UK original LP, Speakers Corner LP, original CD, MFSL and hi-rez downloads etc) from this classic album.... the Ray Staff cut is the best one by a mile. I can listen at loud levels without getting headache. One of the best reissues by a major record label in the last years. Highly recommended.

Lucidae likes this.
  7. SergioRZ

Any clue as to what did Ray Staff use to cut it?

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

9. Millstone50

Millstone50 Forum Resident

FWIW, a couple things.

I've played the absolute crap out of the MFSL CD of this album; I know it inside out. I've also owned a couple vinyl versions and heard a digital version somewhere.

When I hear the not-MFSL versions, it's instantly recognizable. In the presence of dynamic range compression mostly.

Having heard it a few times now, I will put money on the 24/192 download being cut from the same cloth as the MFSL CD. The telltales are all there... The dynamic range matches, the whistle on Shell (chorus) fades into the background like the MFSL, the rough edit in Asylum at 4:14, the abrupt loss of the guitar chorus at 1:11 after "he's coming along" in School... it sounds like the MFSL with more bass and like it was sampled with modern equipment.

Steve has commented before that the MFSL CD was sourced from a pre-production master. It's my belief this tape was used for this latest project... Luckily.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Hm interesting. But do you think that this only goes for the 24/192 download? Don't have it (neither the MFSL) but the DR values look very similar comparing the 24/192 and CD 2014 remasters whereas the MFSL is clearly higher on the scale. I'll listen to the things you pointed out on my two CDs (2014 and 2002) to compare. I noted that the 2014 version sounds much clearer than the 2002 edition which also claimed to come from original masters.

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I bought the DE of the album yesterday. I compared to the 2002 edition and the new one sounds warmer and uncompressed, no clipping at all, beatifully remastered. The live CD is a must-have.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

13. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

My vinyl copy is finally shipping from AmazonCA. :righton:

14. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

Deluxe Edition!

JulesRules likes this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Deluxe Edition. I usually avoid acronyms, but this one seemed clear enough. It wasn't, I guess.

16. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

I understand that the Blu-ray comes with a download code. Can anyone tell me if that download is a flac or an mp3?

17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Mp3, 320.

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I hate to go thru all these threads. How does the Blu ray audio fit in here? Which is the go to CD- MFSL, Blu?

19. Same here. :goodie:

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  20. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Just listened to side 1 of the album from the 2014 deluxe box. Amazing! Then again I have nothing to compare to. Lots of weight behind the music. Love it.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Thanks to the forum for putting me on to Crime Of The Century. The Deluxe Edition sounds great, and the live disc 2 is also excellent.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  22. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I completely agree with your assessment of the overrated MFSL. I'm very anxious to hear this new cut as the UK vinyl has also been my goto.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. I recently found the COTC MFSL CD at a great price and couldn't wait to get home and listen to it. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I still haven't picked up the 40th Anniversary CD yet but I will in the near future. Then I will compare the two versions.

Bill

24. SergioRZ

So I suppose the MFSL CD sounds much different from the MFSL LP?

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Comparisons between the Blu ray audio and the deluxe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.