5.1 analog adapter for 2 channel DVD Inputs or coaxial digital to analog 5.1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

I bought the Pioneer 563A for hi-rez surround and can't get the hi-rez 5.1 because my receiver doesn't support analog 5.1 input. Is there an adapter on the market that allows one to convert 2 channel analog inputs to an analog 5.1 or an RCA coaxial input to analog 5.1?

2. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

SACD/DVD-A, unless you have a special player which has a different digital out (not coax or spdif), only uses the six RCAs. There is no way to convert that to digital.

3. BradOlson

So I can buy one of those Radio Shack RCA plug to plug couplers?

4. You can't do what you are looking to do with a simple adapter.

To get 5.1 analog channels into a 2 CH analog input would require you to send the 5.1 channels into a mixer, and mix it down to 2 CH. Or course, you would have no way to know how to mix the channels, and good results would be hard to come by.

Having said all that, ALL SACDs have a hi-rez 2 CH track, and most DVD-As do as well. I don't see that you would gain anything mixing down the 5.1 track to 2 CH, particularly when there is a properly mixed 2 CH track sitting right there on the disc.

Methinks its wiser to just save up a bit and buy a receiver or pre/pro+amp that can accept the 5.1 output of your player.

And lastly, WRT DVD-A, most discs also have a DD or DTS track. If your receiver has a digital input and supports DD or DTS, you can use that to experience the 5.1 mix. Its not as good as the real DVD-A tracks, but it can should quite good...maybe even better than the 2 CH tracks that are also on this disc.

IMHO, or course.

BGL

5. BradOlson

I do have a stereo DJ mixer and have set the Pioneer 563A up into my mixer which also serves as my phono preamp so it mixes down to 2 channel for now. I will eventually have to save money for a new receiver in the future.

6. BradOlson

I also have the player set up in the DD hookup.

7. BradOlson

So I can already enjoy a lot of what DVD-A and SACD have to offer.

8. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Well, you won't be getting any SACD surround signals.. otherwise, you are all set. :)

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Of course, what BGL said is absolutely true, you are probobly waisting your time by putting your signal through a mixer when every single SACD has a 2 channel mix right on it, and if you go into the machine's set-up menu and simply select "yes" for the front right/left speakers, and "no" for every other speaker, then the machine itself will provide a 2 channel mix of all of your 5.1 DVD-As. The digital link will come in handy for the dolby digital and DTS soundtracks though.

10. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

I recently bought a Pioneer DV 563-A and run it through a two-channel Yamaha receiver. I run RCA cables from the Pioneer's two-channel outputs to the Yamaha's DVD inputs. This setup works fine for me. As Rocky noted, be sure you set up the Pioneer's menus correctly.

Paul G.

11. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I wouldn't expect ANY DD or DTS track to be better than the same mastering in CD or low resolution DVD-A. DD and DTS use MUCH lower sampling rates than most other formats. DTS is higher than DD, but neither are as good as regular CD.

BUT, you will still be able to hear what the artist was going for in creating the 6 channel surround mix.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Bradley - how do like the 563a? What SACDs or DVD-a's have you listed to?

13. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Have you ever heard Stereo 44.1/24 bit DTS? IMHO, it beats a CD layer any time... it sounds a lot better - and it's compressed!

14. therockman

A question for Javier. Can I access this 44.1/24 bit on my standard DVD player, because I do have a couple of DVD-As that really don't impress me that much, since I am not DVD-A capable yet.

15. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Rocky, yep. All you need, in fact, is a CD / DVD player with digital outputs. If your decoder supports the format, there won't be an issue. It has to be a "DTS 96/24" release, though.

16. BradOlson

I like the 563 and listened to the Zombies and Sam Cooke-Keep Movin' On

17. BradOlson

I did buy a receiver for SACD and DVD-A on trade at a pawn shop. The RCA RT2600 in trade with my RCA RT3250

18. therockman

cbsolson, do you have the Allison Krauss and The Union Station on SACD? These discs have great surround sound and are good music as well. A little bit of blue grass, a lot of country, and just a little bit of western thrown in for good measure.

19. BradOlson

I do have some Alison Krauss on regular CD but the live SACD would have to be on my list.

20. therockman

cbsolson,
    Besides the LIVE SACD (which is a 2 disc set) there is also NEW FAVORITE. NEW FAVORITE in 5.1 surround sound is stunning, you really must get this for your new multi-channel set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.