5.1 DVD question...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Stateless, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I was curious about DVD's in 5.1 with no 2.0 (stereo) option. I have a few DVD's like PULP FICTION & A HARD DAY'S NIGHT that are like this. What happens if you only have a stereo set up? Am I missing some of the audio since I do not have 5.1? The display shows that the audio as "Dolby Digital 3/2.1". :confused: Does this mean the 5.1 channels are "folding down" to compensate for the lack of the multi channel system? I'm sure one day I'll probably get a 5.1 set up but it is not a priority for me right now. Any help in figuring this out for us "stereo only" :p listeners is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

WW

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If you have your decoder set up properly (regardless of whether you are using a decoder built into your dvd player or one in a preamp/processor or receiver), the 5.1 channels will be downmixed to stereo. By "properly" I mean correctly setting the menus to match your particular set up --- in this case, just two front speakers.

3. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I have 2 options on my menu for the downmix, NORMAL or DOLBY SURROUND. The quick setup selects DOLBY SURROUND. Does this only effect the 5.1 or does this function effect the stereo as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.