5.1 surround sound mixes - how are these enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Jacobsen, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Jacobsen

Mark Jacobsen Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am new to 5.1 surround mixes and own a couple Yes ones that Steven Wilson did. I've tried a couple times, but man, such a struggle to get into it.
    So many people gush over them in general. So, what am I missing? It is just all so disjointed and some parts sound like they are at the back of a cavern. I am constantly moving around to different speakers to get parts I can't hear, which means the other parts are now not as noticeable. After 10 minutes I have to just turn it off and resume a stereo mix.
    Pretty disappointed. Please help me if you love 5.1 music mixes.

bherbert, VQR, Mickey2 and 7 others like this.
  2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

the idea is to be surrounded by the music. Where some instruments are completetly isolated. So it feels more like you were in the room.
    If you cant hear what is coming from one of the side speakers then the other is too loud.
    Every 5.1 disc is mastered differently imo... You have to adjust how loud each speaker is until you find the right balance.

3. Mark Jacobsen

Mark Jacobsen Well-Known Member Thread Starter

OK, thanks. I'll give that a try. I appreciate the input.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  4. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Some 5.1 mixes are obviously better than others. I've had occasions where I've put a newly acquired one on and been underwhelmed. But I've always found that a little adjustment of the speakers (or on a more basic and obvious level, where you sit) can work wonders. Obviously, none of this should be an ordeal, but if you persevere, you will hopefully discover a few that really work for you.

5. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Yeah, I think your system is not quite dialed in yet. It can take awhile.
    As far as a listening position 5.1 can have a pretty unforgiving sweet spot.
    Another thing I've found critical is matching speakers all around. If you have large full range up front and smaller satellites behind you, it's always going to sound off. Or if not off, it's not going to sound like it should.
    As others have said some 5.1 mixes are definitely better than others, but Steven Wilson's stuff usually gets well received around here. If you do a search you can probably find a favorite surround mixes thread around here.
    I mentioned the sweet spot earlier. One of the things I've really enjoyed about 5.1 mixes is it's really glued me to one spot and made me listen more intently, rather then doing any kind of multitasking. It's taught me to just sit and listen.

6. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

2 ears 2 speakers that's all I'll ever need.

Score17, Hombre, Kiss73 and 69 others like this.
  7. meanoldman

meanoldman Forum Resident

You beat me to it.

8. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Maybe it's just a matter of finding one with a good mix and great sound. You could try a local thrift store and pick up a copy of this dvd for a coin or two. It will convince.

[​IMG]

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I 0ften find 5.1 mixes distracting and odd sounding. Some are fun, but a lot don’t sound natural to me. Could be my system or the recordings themselves, I suppose. Either way, I prefer a stereo mix.

One of the 5.1 mixes I did really like was Something To Be by Rob Thomas. It’s one nobody ever mentions.:)

VQR, joshm2286 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  10. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

But, doesn't seem a little odd that listening to conventional recorded music is just about the only time you limit your hearing to just what's directly in front of you.
    In life, sound has you surrounded.

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I like this thing called "stereo."

bherbert, VQR, Mickey2 and 14 others like this.
  12. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

Curiously, your ears can in fact detect sound sources in three-dimensional space rather than just left vs. right. The shape of your ears works wonders. I can't remember the name, but there was a company that exploited this fact and aimed to replicate 3D hearing by recording with microphones inserted into a head with realistic ears. The resulting stereo mix would be listened to with in-ear buds and replicate the desired instrument positions in 3D.

13. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I know what you mean. I’ve bought quite a few and some sound fantastic and some are disappointing at best. The best ones , I feel , Create a space between instruments which allows them to breathe. You do need to calibrate your speakers and relax.
    As I say mixed results from disc to disc - some mixes use all speakers all the time some don’t, all down to the mix and music of course. Steve Wilson’s XTC sets are very good and Tusk by Fleetwood Mac is very good , off the top of my head.

Peace and love✌

14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Steven Wilson's 5.1 of XTC's Skylarking is a real high water mark for me. If I was showcasing surround for other people, I'd probably use that, even if they hadn't a clue about the band.

15. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

The 5.1 mixes I prefer are the ones where you forget you're listening to 5.1. The old André Previn/LSO recording of Holst's The Planets is a good example (1974, 5.1 version released 1998). Carly Simon's No Secrets (1972, 5.1 version released 2002) is also quite a good one (though I can't actually forget it's 5.1) as it draws out details that were somewhat buried in the original stereo mix without being too ostentatious about it. But the few others I've heard (I don't have many) tend to draw my attention more to instrument/vocal placement rather than immersing me in the music. The caveat to bear in mind is that my experience of 5.1 music is very limited.

16. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Aye, capt'n, how many TV screens do you watch at a time?

[​IMG]

17. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Yeah, somehow I doubt the holodeck on the Enterprise is geared up with only a pair of Tannoys.

18. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

For me, 5.1 remixes are interesting to listen to a few times. But I've always gone back to the stereo counterparts eventually. It's nice to immerse myself in surround once in a while but I find plain 'ol stereo much easier to listen to.

CDFanatic, VQR, vinylbeat and 3 others like this.
  19. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I agree...it's sometimes fun to hear a classic album in a new light, but stereo has the biggest impact for me.

20. purepopradio

purepopradio Now that's catchy!

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in 5.1 is an incredibly rich ecperience. It's hard to go back rub the stereo mix.

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Two eyes two channels

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'll take a good 5.1 over stereo any day.

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's a gimmick imo when it comes to music. When would you ever sit right in the middle of a band playing? Great for films though. I wouldn't waste any further time on them if I were you.

bherbert, Willowman, VQR and 8 others like this.
  24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I’ve also been through the “is this it?” phase with surround.

Most important thing, as said before, is to make sure your speakers are properly matched, are set up in the correct location in your room, and are balanced correctly in the amp’s menu.

If you’re having to walk over to certain speakers to hear certain sounds, that most likely means the balance isn’t set correctly. Try fiddling / trial and error OR you can get some kind of set-up disc (I have a couple of Disney Blu-rays which have THX optimisation rests on them, which worked well enough for me.

When set up right, and with the right mix, it’s really worth persevering with.

mark winstanley, Bossfan, VQR and 5 others like this.
  25. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

I have found surround sound just doesn't make sense to me: I know someone who is fond of concert DVDs and BRs, who has a well set up, high quality (active Linn Isobariks and a Linn centre speaker) surround system, but I find it all too confusing and disorientating to the point of feeling seasick a couple of times; same happened with a couple of DVD-A 5.1 mixes (Steven Wilson Yes and Crimson, which I have).

At home it would a) be difficult for me to fit a surround set up into our room and b) if I had the money for other speakers and electronics of equivalent quality to my stereo kit I'd spend it on better stereo speakers and amp...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.