5 Pin Din ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bob Garofal, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Garofal

Bob Garofal New Member Thread Starter

I have a Akai AM-2400 that has a 5 pin din input marked tape 1 rec/pb, can I use a din to rca adapter to plug in any line level device ?? Thank's in advance for any info.
    Bob

2. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Yes, just Google 5 pin din to RCA and you'll find lots of options from cheap to HOW MUCH!!? :)

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes, as a matter of fact I used such an adaptor cable a lot back in the 80s to connect my german stuff to my japanese amps.

4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

As implied above, the 5 pin DIN connector is a European one, DIN being an acronym for Deutsches Institut für Normung. If you want to use the connector on your Aiwa, make sure you get a cable with a male DIN plug. It's going to be a little hard to find but this is available for a reasonable price now on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PIN-DIN-TO-4-WAY-MALE-RCA-ADAPTER-CABLE-6-/151606701891

You'd need one with 4 RCA connectors to cover both record and playback.

McLover likes this.
  5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Also used in older Naim equipment for which good quality adapters or leads to standard RCA's can be found

6. Bob Garofal

Bob Garofal New Member Thread Starter

Thank's for the replies. I have seen the adapter cable's on ebay as well. My question is still the same though, will this allow the connection of line level audio source, such as PC or CD player ??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Electrically it's the same as if you used the RCA input jacks on the back of your Aiwa, so yes, you could record off of a line level source using the DIN plug.

8. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I used to have DIN connectors at the time I had the system I bought while in the military in Germany. The five pin DIN connector carries both the record and playback left and right channel information. I was using a Quad amp and preamp with a Revox tuner, an Akai cassette deck and Revox B77 open reel tape deck. Both the Akai and Revox equipment were fitted with DIN jacks so I could use one DIN cable per component. I could record and playback on both tape decks. The DIN connectors meant less cables in back of the equipment.

The UK Chord company makes quality DIN to RCA cables. Check them out.

Scott

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

YES

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.