50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Oh that would be amazing news! I hope you're right.

tinnox likes this.
  2. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

4 track tape, you will find out when official announcement came

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

A couple of things from around the Scorsese documentary time.

This quote might be enough to make @Sean Murdock pass out: :D

In the documentary, producer Phil Spector says he was stunned to find Harrison had “hundreds” of unreleased tracks when the two began working on “All Things Must Pass.”

Olivia regarding the Scorsese documentary:

OH: I was just overwhelmed with tapes. I still am (laughs). There was a huge amount of material we listened to for the director to decide what we could offer. We had reel-to-reel tapes of people up all night talking, hanging out, business meetings, demos, George and John (Lennon) working together, George’s mother singing. For a year, Giles and (recording engineer) Paul Hicks were here at George’s studio plowing through all these things that we thought Marty could use or might use. Marty was very specific about what drives the narrative. My goal was to make an archive parallel to the film.

Treasure trove of George Harrison music unwrapped

Also I believe Ken Scott may have helped sort out George's archive of tapes. I'd have to check when I get home.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Yep Ken Scott organized and cataloged everything around the time of the ATMP reissue

5. Glenn Christense

Thanks. I was pretty sure I had read that in Ken's book, but "pretty sure" isn't good enough around here. :D

tinnox and Beatle Ed like this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'm not expecting "2 or 3 versions of every song" - with Pepper, we got one or two versions of most songs, with multiple takes of "Strawberry Fields Forever" because that song went through more of a metamorphosis than most Beatles tunes. If a song didn't change very much from the first take to the last, then there isn't much point to releasing three nearly indistinguishable recordings. Some of the songs that were well along, and then remade, would justify multiple versions - songs like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," but was there that much variation in takes of, say, "Sexy Sadie" or "Piggies"? My barely-educated guess: One take of most, two of some, three of a privileged few.

"Sour Milk Sea" has a great backing track, but that recording was never considered for use on a Beatles album. Sticking it on the White Album because it has some Beatles on it would almost be like including "We Love You" on Pepper.

Now if someone wanted to put together an "Apple Sessions" compilation, "Sour Milk Sea" would be an obvious candidate. I'd buy it....

tinnox, Isaac Azimuth and Bern like this.
  7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Paul should be at least be open to the idea of your #7 (edit/mashup of the 27-min "Helter Skelter"); David Kahne made a very listenable 10-minute track out of his half-hour long "Rinse The Raindrops"...

tinnox and Glenn Christense like this.
  8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I find it extremely unlikely that George had "hundreds" of unreleased tracks in 1970. It defies logic. But yes, any time Olivia talks about the FPSHOT vaults, it just about brings me to tears....

9. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Understandably so. Me too.
    Bern
    edit...not sure why they are sitting forever on this stuff. Makes no sense.

tinnox and 2141 like this.
  10. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

What I mean is that it is always awkward to run around singing the lyrics to Birthday when it's not somebody's birthday. It's a weird song to sing either alone in your car or with a group of people.

I don't actively seek out and play White Christmas in July. Great song, a classic, only appropriate to listen to and sing between Thanksgiving and New Year's day "Event" songs are like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    tinnox likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Maybe a Beach Boys Party! vibe? Not you, Ringo!... Donovan had recorded a very stripped down album (half of A Gift From A Flower To A Garden - a 1967 album that saw an April, 1968 UK release).

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Sean my friend, surely you aren't suggesting that an honorable man like Phil Spector, a man with no blemishes of any kind on his record would lie or exaggerate ? :confused: :D

Seriously, even if there were only 10 or 20 unreleased songs (above and beyond the Beware of ABKCO tracks) from George's Beatles years that would be incredible.

Not to mention the thirty years or so worth of post Beatles songs possibly in George's archive, but I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

Plus, I want to hear George's mom singing! She was a close personal friend of mine *, during the White Album era.

* Well, she did write one letter to me and sent me an almost really autographed Beatles picture that she autographed on the back.in 1968. :p

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Quality control is always important. It's just as important to know that remixes don't necessarily have to emulate existing mix choices 100%. In fact, the very idea of making vocals clearer, or placing drums in the center CHANGES the existing mix just as much as leaving a fader up or down does. Yes, it's a bit maddening when the remix sounds better, but leaves an originally unintended element exposed. On the other hand, it also creates a new anomaly... things us nutters dig a lot. My gripe would be making the mixes hotter than they need to be... apparently to satisfy Apple and its directors. Must keep the Beatles sounding current and hip ya know. Ron

PS It's important to remember that even good ol' Sir George Martin and HIS team made simple mistakes through the years too. Such as: Forgetting the fader on the stereo mix of Yellow Submarine that mutes part of John's response call, extra and missing backwards guitar parts on the mono and stereo mixes for I'm Only Sleeping, single-track vocal on the mono And I Love Her, missing or extra guitar parts on the mono and stereo mixes of What Goes On and dozens and dozens more. Imagine if this forum existed in the 60's? In many, many instances, the same issues back then, as now.

ODIrony, andrewskyDE, jtiner and 8 others like this.
  14. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

The question really is...did they use all the tracks? Relaxed Esher vibe with lots to get through in a short amount of time, I’m going to venture they didn’t. That’s my gut (which has been completely wrong countless times).

15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

But wouldn't it be fun to discover previously unheard overdubs? We'll know soon enough. Ron

tinnox, Isaac Azimuth and IronWaffle like this.
  16. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I must be a freaking weirdo

tinnox, schnitzerphilip and Chemguy like this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

This is well said.

18. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

At least one of the insiders here seemed very specific about the number of Escher Demos that we should anticipate. I think it was...42? ;)

tinnox, drum_cas and EdwinM like this.
  19. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

how many discs would a white album reissue truly need to be comprehensive? would 4 be too few?

tinnox likes this.
  20. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

You don't spend much time with Radiohead fans, do you?

tinnox likes this.
  21. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I’ve tried to ask this question before and can never get an answer. I think it might honestly be like 50 discs.

jmxw, qtrules and tinnox like this.
  22. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Nope!

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  23. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Escher demos? Really?! :D

tinnox likes this.
  24. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

History happens
    [​IMG]

25. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

He (or she) actually said 27. I forgot who said it but it was either in this thread or possibly the other thread about the Escher Demos which was popular a few weeks ago.
    27 is not bad, I'll definitely take it! I believe this number corresponds to the known number of demos that have seen the light of day on the old Lost Lennon Tapes radio show, Anthology 3 and some... other sources. So many weird undocumented Beatle things have popped up out of nowhere, like that Harrison acoustic demo of a song he offered to another singer during the Beatle era, that it is possible (but not likely) that there could be other demo songs that we don't know about, yet. But for Escher Demos the stated number was 27, enough to fill out a hypothetical Beatles Unplugged Album if someone decided to compile it.

tinnox and The Ole' Rocker like this.