50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Yes. From the PDF:

"Mix credits
    Producer: Giles Martin
    Mix Engineer: Sam Okell
    Mastering Engineer: Miles Showell"

ODIrony, IronWaffle and tinnox like this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I’m listening to the discs. :)

bluesbro, IronWaffle, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  3. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The story about the Savoy Truffle horns is in Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book - the distortion is definitely a mixing choice, rather than something that's hardwired into the recording.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

You've heard the Esher demos from this new set? Ron

ODIrony, Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Either way, that's how much compression I am hearing on the vocal tracks. Lip smacks, breathing, etc. I don't need it to sound like the person is singing right next to my ear.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I have, they sound great. I already love stripped down versions so this is a real treat

jricc, drum_cas, IronWaffle and 6 others like this.
  7. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

To those who have the box early:

Is Across the Universe (Take 6) on this boxset different from the master take?

IronWaffle, marmalade166 and tinnox like this.
  8. Solaris

Have you compared them to the versions on Anthology? To me these sound a little compressed. I suspect it's their way of trying to polish these recordings up, which I find rather disappointing (and unnecessary).

And yes, I'm listening to the Esher demos from the Deluxe set.

9. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

@Solaris what are your thoughts on the rest of the set, presuming you’ve heard more than just the Esher Demos? I know from your podcast you have a great ear for their music, so very interested in your opinion on the remixes and outtakes.

IronWaffle and tinnox like this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I did not compare to Anthology. I did compare to Kinfauns to Chaos boot and it sounds superior to me by far.

ODIrony, drum_cas, IronWaffle and 2 others like this.
  11. Solaris

I haven't listened to the remix at all yet, but I've given the outtakes a once-through. I found myself smiling quite a few times, and I think there are a lot of little revelations scattered throughout.
    On first blush, the tracks that leaped out at me:

Revolution take 18 - every bit as eye-opening and unhinged as take 20, but in different ways
    Good Night take 22 - the piano/vocal demo is complete after all, making the choice to cross fade it with the orchestra on Anthology a strange one; this is perfect
    Ob-la-di take 3 - a heavier drum sound than I expected, which might be down to the mix; will have to listen further
    While My Guitar take 27 - the main differences are Clapton's guitar (which soars) and George's affecting, often quavering vocal -- the rest is pretty much as you expect; the start and ending chat will be familiar to anyone who's heard the snippets from RockBand
    Helter Skelter take 17 - loose and wonderful, and Paul's vocal is great
    I'm So Tired take 14 - an odd mix of the master, with one element familiar from bootleg, and several others we've never heard before, one of which (John and Paul on vocals) is a real treat

12. Solaris

Yes, it's a huge improvement over the mono bootleg version, no doubt.

Dugan, Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  13. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

:shrug:

tinnox likes this.
  14. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Any of you with the discs...the blu-ray?

tinnox likes this.
  15. Solaris

Yes. The master is take 7.

16. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Do you feel like commenting on how Cry Baby Cry sounds? That's one of the ones I'm really interested in.

17. Solaris

The Esher demo or the outtake?

tinnox and ODIrony like this.
  18. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

The outtake, if you have heard it.

tinnox and ODIrony like this.
  19. Solaris

It would be better with less of George's guitar, but unfortunately it's on the same track as the organ. Other than that, I like the vibe of it.

20. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

IIRC, The Esher Demos were no-noised to death on Anthology. I'm far from an Esher Expert but I feel that the 2 we've gotten from this set sound vastly superior to what we got in '95. I know that the '18 release is from a direct transfer of the originals. Does anyone know if that was the case for Anthology? Or did George just hand over dubs of the 6 that he viewed worthy of release?

21. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Thank you for your objective reviews and contributions. I can’t wait to hear the rest of the material on this set.

22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'm convinced that George picked those 6-7 Esher demos he handed over for the Anthology project basically at random. I don't know. I don't see any rhyme or reason to his selections. I guess "Mustard" and "Pam" are interesting because they are so different from their Abbey Road incarnations. But as far as representing the White Album era? Really? The Paul songs he chooses are the oft-maligned "Honey Pie" and then "Junk" which is charming, but a solo Paul song that doesn't sound all that different from the acoustic demo. "Piggies" over "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? No "Revolution" or "Dear Prudence" or "Back in the USSR" even though those iconic songs are not represented anywhere else on Anthology? Such strange choices...

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Back in the day, the Unsurpassed Demos bootleg by Yellow Dog was a real treat, regardless of the SQ. I’m looking forward to hearing the majority of the demos from the new box.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Woke up fell out of bed. 13 pages to go. Ha!!' A quite a few pages to catch up.:)

25. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I've been waiting for a synopsis of your listening sesh with Schnitz. What did he think?