‘60s girl groups

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Magic Woman, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

One of the granddaddies of them all. All the girls loved this and a good deal of the boys, too. I actually saw this first run! And The Blossoms did those angelic background vocals.

alexpop, BryanW and John54 like this.
  2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

LOVE that one

3. Mugrug12

Epic banger:

(There are men on backup so I failed
    But Its too good)

alexpop likes this.
  4. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

I have lots of love for both Martha Reeves and The Cookies. They barely missed my list.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The Paris Sisters specialized in wispy breathy vocals. I think they inspired Claudine Longet's style?

But this one is a little more aggressive

6. John B Good

Which brings to mind Jackie de Shannon and Needles and Pins

Incamera, mlew, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  7. Mugrug12

From "soldier boy" to "I should be proud", girl group protest song...

John B Good likes this.
  8. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

Shirley Matthews is on the first Yonge Street mural (just to the left of The Colonial Tavern logo) along with other Toronto musicians or others that played in the many Toronto clubs back then. We never could find out who 'The Big Town Girls' were. I think 'Big Town Boy' was recorded in Nashville so that would rule out Toronto's girl group 'The Girlfriends'. That mural is 22 stories high!

[​IMG]

Mike McMann, John54 and Mugrug12 like this.
  9. Hand Of Ike

Hand Of Ike Well-Known Member

The Flirtations - Nothing But a Heartache

(Sorry if already posted - not enough time to read the whole thread)

Not the best sound in this video but I've never seen this before!

Ginger Ale likes this.
  10. Hand Of Ike

Hand Of Ike Well-Known Member

So much good stuff listed here.... We should compile comps!

11. John B Good

I used to have the album pictured on this You Tube video. I think it was mostly covers of earlier girl group songs, but her Beat Me to the Punch is one I clearly remember. Without further ado, here is Charity Brown.

12. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Ace have a new release on this group, under another alias (The Carolines). One of the tracks is Jackie DeShannon's "Baby That's Me". Sadly, it's only on vinyl as an EP.
    [​IMG]

John B Good likes this.
  13. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Posting in this thread to bookmark it.

John B Good and Mugrug12 like this.
  14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Never heard the Carolines' version. Here's the original from 1964:

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Anybody know who that girl is down in front in the Music Hop clip? I think I have a crush on her.

16. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

All tracks on the Ace EP are previosuly unissed, I believe. They come from the vault of Larry Weiss.

17. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It was the Songs. Perfect for their time. The performers were excellent. But it was the Songs.

I never liked this song much until this happened. Shoulda been handed to a Girl Group straightaway in '65.

John B Good likes this.
  18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

And now that all the Classic Girl Groups have been trotted out, along with several Obscure Personal Favorites Which Everybody Should Hear, here’s a little curve ball for ya.

OK, there’s a couple Y-chromosome types in there. But when you see the bass player, you’ll know why this had to be.

19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

A lot of the Brian sung Beach Boys songs fit very nicely in the female vocal range - I wish more of his songs had been covered by girl groups and solo female singers, all the way back to Lana and Farmer’s Daughter to Please Let Me Wonder, Don’t Worry Baby, Let Him Run Wild, She Knows Me TooWell, We’ll Run Away, She Still Believes in Me, etc.

gd0 likes this.
  20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Uh? The verse of this is exactly the same as 'Here Comes The Night' as recorded by Them and Lulu.. was 'There They Go' reworked into 'Here Comes The Night' with a modified chorus?

21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The Murmaids doing a great Traffic cover in 1968, after they'd kicked the repulsive Kim Fowley to the kerb!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

Charity Brown usually is at the Kitchener Blues Festival with 'Miss Angel' ~ Angel Blues Brown and her band. Angel Brown was Mel Brown's wife before he died in 2009. Kitchener Blues Festival starts tomorrow night. Yes, many of those songs on her first album were covers mainly because Harry Hinde was her producer and had links to Motown.

John B Good likes this.
  23. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

No, the opposite: Bert Berns reworking his own song for his production of The Exciters' record in 1965.

ajsmith likes this.
  24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Interesting: that strikes me as a bit odd, considering that ‘Here Comes The Night’ had been a big international hit for Them. I could understand reworking a flop song, but one that there’s a good chance that an audience would recognise seems strange.

25. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

A bit odd, but who's complaining when the result is this glorious? And what an adaptable song: Them's version (as covered by Bowie) is quite different from Lulu's.

ajsmith likes this.