802 or 803? Room size concerns...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wired4Fun, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident Thread Starter

So let me start with I have made up my mind, and I want B&W 802D3's. I auditioned MANY speakers, and my wife and I loved these. We also loved the 803's, but in the demo, the 802's kicked it up a notch for us.

If you would, please, do not suggest other brands. I had 805D3's, LOVED them. I really like the sound of the brand. TRULY looking for help with room size vs. speaker size concerns.

That said, I wonder if the 802 are not TOO much.

The new room is the "Family Room" of an open concept floor plan. For intents and purposes, the Family room is 14x17 with 9 foot ceilings, but when all is set up, and the speakers are installed, they will be about 9-10 feet apart and 9-10 feet from our listening position. I CAN increase the distance a a foot or two more, but that will effect surround speaker's effect when we use this dual purpose setup to watch movies.

So my question is... despite the fact that the width of the room is part of an open concept and is in fact bigger than 17 feet, the length is a true 14 feet. We will add a couch which needs to sit 18 inches or so from the back wall, and the speakers need to sit 2 feet or so from the front wall, effectively leaving us 9-10 feet distance from BIG speakers.

Will this be ok? Do I need to abandon my life long goal of these speakers :(

Thoughts and expert opinions are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

And yes, I asked at the various shops and did some online research about the 1.2 distance a and more... I just really value this community's input :)

2. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I don't think this will be more of a concern with the 802 than with the 803. I say go for it! Otherwise you will always be wondering what they are like.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  3. Ideally you could audition them in your room. Perhaps you could arrange something with your dealer? At that price point they should be able to do something even if it is just the ability to return them after a couple weeks and exchange them for the smaller model. They have them in stock so it’s not like a special order.

Mike-48 and Wired4Fun like this.
  4. Wired4Fun

Absolutely. Although wifey wants WHITE, which NO ONE seems to keep in stock, so an audition means "in and out", regardless. Not too much to ask, or do, when purchasing something like this. I was just more curious if "on paper", or if someone had practical experience with what I was asking above, and had input :)

5. It’s hard to give a definitive answer as there are a lot of room factors that are variables. I heard the 800d3 a couple weeks ago at a dealers and it sounded glorious in a room not much deeper than yours but open on the sides. I’ve also heard older 801S3 in a room about 11x16 with good results. A lot would depend on your flexibility in being able to position them for best results. Being able to move them out from the front wall may be the the deciding element.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  6. Wired4Fun

Just going to give this a single Sunday AM BUMP to ask:

Is 9.5 feet or so, enough distance (In YOUR opinion) to sit back from these speakers. Again, I value the opinions found here, and appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

7. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Hi Wired4Fun!

Both are great speakers- I don't think the room will be a problem in your case, both models will work just fine. I would be a bit more concerned about the amplification though as the bigger speakers in the 800 series are power hungry. Are you planning to upgrade your ampflication in the near future?

8. Wired4Fun

Thanks for the feedback! Just took possession of a McIntosh 462 :)

The two channel piece of this will be powered by a c2600 and Mc462. The home theater part will be powered by an MX122 and Mc8207, while the L/R always stay powered by the 462 :)

GyroSE likes this.
  9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Sounds great! :righton: Then you're good to go for any of the speakers you're looking at.

I've only auditioned the 803 D3's and IMHO they sound amazing but I guess the 802's are even better. I've had my Nautilus 804's for 20 years and they do still sound great but I'm now considering an upgrade and I'm looking at the 803 D3's but I also like how the B&W Nautilus 802's, 802D's and 802D2's sound. I've not yet decided which one to get...

10. Wired4Fun

The quick version is this: Wifey and I went to listen to speakers for the 18th time, lol. This particular day, we listened to Focal Kanta, Sopra 2 and 3, and then the 803's.

Wifey looked at me and said, "Those sound so much better to me." Keep in mind, she is not at ALL into this. I agreed with her, though.

I then asked if, for fun, we could listen to the 802's, and my wife said, "If they cost more, NO." LOL

We listened to them, and 1 minute into a song, she turned around and asked, "How MUCH more are these...?"

And that's how we ended up deciding to get the 802's ;) They really just took everything great about the 803's and took it to a whole other level. WELL worth the price difference, in our listening session. Once in our home, we shall see.

Mintsauce and GyroSE like this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Firstly, I agree with the suggestion above to ask for a home demo first, especially at this price level. Sure, it's no fun schlepping heavy speakers around, but that's the dealers problem! :)

Secondly, if I understand your description correctly, there are walls behind the speakers and sofa, but not along the sides of the speakers? That means little to no issue with side reflections. However, you mention that the speakers will be 2' from the back wall -- is that between the speaker and the wall, or front of speaker to back wall? Obviously, moving the speakers closer to the wall will lift the bass a bit, but you may need that if there is no side reinforcement. 9' - 10' is ideal, so you should have no issues there.

Thirdly, do you envision moving house, or re-configuring the house in the future? If so, no need to constrain yourself now even if the audition makes you think that the 802 is not working optimally.

Fourthly, nice wife you must have! :D

The good news is that there is no bad option for you, as both speakers are top flight, though I agree with you that there is a step from 803 to 802 (I have 802N myself, simply because I could not fit the 801N, which is what I wanted, in my listening room: 19+' x 12').

Oh, you'll be getting a gloss finish? If so, you definitely do not want piano black, as that is a major PITA to keep clean. Why manufacturers do not offer a dust color option I'll never understand! :)

GyroSE likes this.
  12. Bart Stephens

Bart Stephens Active Member

I am oscillating between Sopra 2 and 802/803. How would you describe the difference?

Wired4Fun likes this.
  13. Wired4Fun

Well... I loved the “idea” of the Sopra, but couldn’t warm up to them. Their sound was “thin”, for me. I know that is debatable and personal, so take that for what it is; an opinion.

They just didn’t have the mid/low end I was looking for and enjoy in my speakers.

Same room. Same Amps. The 803’s won.

Then we listened to the 802’s and the extra $5k was like $25k in difference. I did not and continue to not find the difference between the 802 and 803 “subtle”. The 803 is lovely but I’ll be darned if you don’t get a TON more speaker with the 802.

For reference we have now had these for 7 months. They are astonishing.

reapers, Mad shadows and GyroSE like this.
  14. Bart Stephens

Bart Stephens Active Member

Love it. Strong, timely, and relevant advice. Thanks much.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  15. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Go with the 802. My dad has a setup similar to what you're describing and they sound great (he has the 802D2).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.