87th Academy Awards/Oscars (2015) live thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Those "reactions" were staged. The "Boobs" song did MacFarlane no favors, but I wouldn't use phony annoyance from actresses in the audience as evidence he'd ruined his chances at a second hosting gig...

sgtmono likes this.
  2. Jerry Seinfeld doesn't seem funny to me anymore. I'd rather have Larry David. He IS funny but wouldn't get the gig.

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Why don't they just have Jimmy Kimmel host? He's ABC's late-night guy, so it seems to make sense.

PROG U.K. and JimC like this.
  4. TheHumungous

TheHumungous Active Member

Seinfeld was one of the few comedians on the SNL special that appeared live that was funny. Eddie Murphy is not funny anymore. Chevy Chase is not funny anymore. Seinfeld is still funny. And yes, Larry David is funny. That is why Seinfeld was the funniest sitcom ever.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Mazzy likes this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I honestly can't see Larry David ever agreeing to host the Oscars. No way.

MRamble likes this.
  6. TheHumungous

TheHumungous Active Member

He would never do it. It would be hilarious if he did, and probably a disaster, but he would never do it. He's writer at heart, not a live peformer. Plus he's way too jaded and sarcastic to be accepted by the Hollywood elites.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

I can't see the Oscars asking him! :)

8. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Maybe substitute "dumb" for "odd" ... We have a tendency, because they're rich and famous and talented, to assume that these people are also gifted with above average intelligence. In Travolta's case, maybe not so much. And we always thought that when he played Vinnie Barbarino and Tony Manero and Bud (just discovered his Urban Cowboy character never had a last name) he was acting.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Right.
    So it's clear Travolta needs to host!

lbangs and Mazzy like this.
  10. Bill Murray ?

11. chacha

Yes!
    Nick Ocean for 4 hours please,

Tex_Writer and Mazzy like this.
  12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I know some of it was staged, but I also know he got beaten up quite a bit in the days following because of that song. I thought it was basically harmless myself, but I can understand how some people might think otherwise.

13. Oatsdad

No, I'm sticking with "odd". When I've seen Travolta in interviews, he's just seen oddly disconnected and out of touch. It's not a matter of smart/dumb - it's a matter of strange! :)

14. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Lady Gaga sings:

15. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

And then there's the response from this big Gaga fan :)

16. chacha

That was better than the show itself. Made my night. :righton:

17. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

I wouldn't mind seeing either Portland's own Anna Kendrick or perhaps Mindy Kaling (or both!) have a go at hosting. Anna would predictably kill on the musical numbers, and both she and Kaling are hilarious on Twitter. Might be hard to work around their busy schedules, though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I saw Bill Murray at a Q&A after a screening of St. Vincent and he seemed so comfortable in his skin that I doubt he would do it. A good choice though.

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Dame Edna

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Dame Edna has hung up her Gladiolas.

Larry Mc likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, now I know why "American Sniper" didn't win. Just saw it. It wasn't a very good movie. Not well-structured at all. Really only one good scene: the attack during the sand storm. Otherwise, it was all over the place and felt hapzard and rushed. It would bounce back and forth between Iraq and the US without warning or explanation. It also felt really low budget. Those boot camp scenes looked like they were filmed in one afternoon at Venice Beach. Maybe this is what comes of Eastwood's reported fondness for shooting fast and moving on. It shows, Clint.

22. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

I'm surprised it was even nominated, and not because I think it's a bad film. It didn't win 'best picture' because of the prevailing political attitudes in Hollywood.

BTW, someone told me that its box office was greater than all of the other 'best picture' nominees' box office receipts put together.

23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

You don't sound very "American"...

;)

24. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

How did it get nominated in spite of "prevailing political attitudes in Hollywood?"

What's the point about the box office numbers? Pretty sure Transformers 4 made four times as much as Sniper. Should it have won best picture?

chacha likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't care about politics, I just care about good filmmaking and I thought it was kinda sloppy as a film. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't Best Picture worthy. Its funny, I thought the best shot in the film was lifted from "Lawrence of Arabia." but that was a film that is structured like Swiss watch, whereas "Sniper" was all over the place. And that ending was just terribly done. what a rush job.

Was I the only one who had trouble understanding what Bradley Cooper was frequently saying in the beginning of the film? Later it showed him doing Coppenhagen dip, so I thought "That explains it. He was trying to talk with chewing tobacco under his lip!"

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.