"#9 dream"...reflections and premonitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

"#9 Dream" was the second single from John Lennon's Walls and Bridges album, which was released in September 1974 and went to the top of the US album charts. I think this song deserves a place among Lennon's best compositions simply because of It's sheer beauty. The number nine was a recurring number in John's life. He was born October 9th and wrote Revolution #9 on the White Album. With John's musical instincts this haunting songs premonitions makes you wonder if he dreamt of his demise six years later...how to the members see this song and it's meaning and how do you rate it post Beatles? :shh: :wave:

2. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I agree with that 100 percent. I was so wowed when it came out. I wasn't too impressed with a lot of the Beatles solo material in '74/'75, but this was just a killer track.

I know some people have suggested this based on the lyrics to this one and other snippets of information.

Well, I'm not too sure of its lyrical significance, but I rate it as among the best post Beatles tracks and among the best Lennon ever did Beatles or solo. It is just absolutely beautiful, absolutely haunting--so much so, it's sometimes hard to listen to, both for the effect the song has on me and the memories it brings back.

Dale

3. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It's possibly my favorite solo track by a Beatle.

4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

My Favorite Solo Lennon track of all time.

#9 Dream has one of the stongest Vocal Hook lines of John's post Beatle Career.

He knew how arrange and produce like no one else. Great Backing by Jessie Ed Davis, Nicky Hopkins and J. Keltner.

I bought the recent Yoko Re-Mixed version which was just OK for me. (Why Bother?)

But I recently replaced the vinyl LP I sold years ago with a new copy of Wall and Bridges SW-3416-Z7

It sounds fricking incredible.....:righton:

5. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Although this period is often dismissed as his "Lost Weekend" when he was supposedly drowning in Brandy Alexanders, I also find it to be a breath of fresh air from some of his earlier solo stuff and stands the test of time better than some of his earlier work.

That's May Pang on background vocals on "#9 Dream" by the way - people often assume it's Yoko.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

It's beautiful. My favorite Lennon song. There's so much going on in the mix that every time I play it, I hear a little something new.

7. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

In an Ah! bowakawa of a coincidence, the single "#9 Dream" peaked at #9 on the Billboard pop chart in 1975. :)

Attached Files:

8. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

:thumbsup:

9. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

That's the genius of John Lennon. That's the hallmark of any great pop song, to get what's in their head out onto a recording and into the listeners own imagination. That's why is always sounds fresh and always teaches you something new.

10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

It's undoubtedly his best solo single, taken from his best solo album. Maybe with his life falling apart at the time, he was able to throw himself into writing and recording as an attempted escape from the madness. Anyone living in the same house as Harry Nilsson and getting visits from Keith Moon NEEDS to escape.

11. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

What's the best pressing of "Walls and Bridges"? It would be so cool if this could be released in hires!

12. 905

905 Senior Member

Same here. Glad to see it has its own thread. :thumbsup:

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

One of my favorite songs of the era, period. It brings back a lot of good memories but I still love it on its own. Its such a treat in the context of the two albums; Walls & Bridges and Shaved Fish.

If you mean LP, then any UK - by far. The first pressings are best, but the later releases are no slouch. No US or German pressing I've heard comes close.

14. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Looking on CD...

15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yeah, it's my favorite, too. I don't have anything to add to the discussion except I absolutely never get tired of it.

16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think it reached #27 in the UK, and 2+7=9. Spooky. ;)

17. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Yes, the #9 was a huge circumstantial number for John through 1974 when this was recorded.

One year later, Sean was born on October 9th, which played a part in John's retirement/hiatus.

Definitely my favorite solo Lennon track, and I too am glad to see a thread devoted to it! :righton:

Not to threadcrap or derail, but World Party does a great cover version of this as a b-side; REM's recent cover version - not so great. Any other cover versions out there worth merit?

18. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Not my absolute favorite Lennon song but it's a damn good one!
    Such a pretty melody and I love the the fact he is speaking to George in it....with all the Krishna stuff.

19. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the REM version of this tune either.

20. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

This is my favorite Lennon track. Just beautiful.

21. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

22. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

During John's lost weekend [his seperation from Yoko lasted 1 1/2 years] he took up residence in L.A. He hung out with an assortment of his drinking/drug buddies including singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson, Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, Alice Cooper, Micky Dolenz and others. May Pang said however that John was usually sober in his private life and recorded a large body of work including "#9 Dream" on Walls and Bridges...

23. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I have always loved this song and wondered why it got so little recognition - until I read your thread. :righton:

24. erocky

erocky Senior Member

It is a beautiful song. One of my favorites as well. Classic Lennon. I always wondered what Yoko thought about it when it first came out. She was probably not there at the time of its making. I always laugh at the lost weekend crap that the 73-75 period of Lennon's career is talked about as.
    There was some great songs recorded with his help during this time.

25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

As its title implies, it has some dreamy quality to it.
    Its nice melody and dreamy production has put it in the same league with "Strawberry Fields Forever," "A Day In A Life," and "Because."
    One of the very best songs by a Beatle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.