A case for Ringo Starr's induction in the Rock Hall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheTaxman, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTaxman

TheTaxman Member Thread Starter

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison have all been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame both as solo artists as well with Ringo Starr with The Beatles.

I personally believe Ringo deserves to be inducted in as a solo artist!

17 studio albums, two number one hits (Photograph and You're Sixteen)

Drummed on Plastic Ono Band, All Things Must Pass, Concert for Bangladesh, Tug Of War, Pipes Of Peace, Cloud Nine, Flaming Pie Among many other great albums!)

Do you believe he will get inducted in as a solo artist based on a solo merit?

Folknik, foxylady, Fullbug and 5 others like this.
  2. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Probably, merit or no

3. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Nope and hopefully never!

Darby, Vernoona, danielbravo and 2 others like this.
  4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

It is completely just, correct, right, and fair that he be admitted as a solo artist. He earned this a long time ago!

foxylady, heatherly, Folknik and 8 others like this.
  5. 905

905 Senior Member

Monkees first.

Keith V, somnar, majoyenrac and 6 others like this.
  6. TheTaxman

TheTaxman Member Thread Starter

I think there is a stigma against Ringo that people have something against him and it has kept people from seeing how talented he actually is.

7. I'll go with ELO, 10cc and Ry Cooder first. And maybe even Warren Zevon.

somnar, Toby and JimC like this.
  8. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Ringo was a great drummer in the Beatles, and has been inducted for that. From this resume, it looks like the only times anyone ever called on his drumming talents post 1969 were for nostalgia's sake.

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Everybody likes Ringo, but no case can be made on musical merit alone to warrant his inclusion in the Hall. That said, I wouldn't put it past them to someday (after he's gone) vote him on on the basis that, "Well, the other three are in there--why isn't Ringo?" It would be travesty, but then , IMHO, the Hall is heading in that direction anyway...

Golden Richards, mihu, Meyer and 3 others like this.
  10. Nope. His solo career has been far too mediocre to warrant inclusion. It's bad enough that Harrison got in as a solo act. Once is enough for Ringo.

Vernoona, mihu, GodShifter and 20 others like this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Deep Purple first.

12. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Yes. Thing is awfully watered down already. He'll probably get in.

Does he deserve it based on his solo career? Of course not. I love the guy and enjoy a lot of his music, but let's be real.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree 100%. I don't think George deserved inclusion as a solo act, and I might argue John didn't either.

The notion that Ringo should be in the HOF as a solo act makes zero sense to me - especially an argument that cites his session work as a reason. There's a separate category for "sidemen" - that shouldn't be a factor when an artist is supposed to be inducted for his/her career as a headliner...

14. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

None if these are in the HOF?
    They all should be...as well as Ringo
    (Monkees too )

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I'll tell ya he should be admitted just on the basis of Night And Day. I'll never forget when I first heard it some 40 years ago. Even though some material on the White Album (Good Night but other stuff too by the others), and earlier, predisposed one to hearing it, it came as a real shock. He should re-record it, it is by far his best solo performance IMO. I certainly liked all his hits, but this was a great performance.

16. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

If Ringo gets in, then I say Eddie Kramer deserves a nod.

17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Right after Pete Townshend and Robert Plant.

18. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Fair enough. Now dig this:

He only slips at about 1:04, he doesn't quite make make that low-register "you". Otherwise he is excellent and gets better as the song builds. Great big band arrangement too. (When you hear the fine drumming, it makes you realize where Keith Moon got a lot of his stuff. Especially noticeable in the last minute).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Why does the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame means so much to so many people? It's like getting furious because someone on RS decided that your favorite guitar player is only the 85th best in rock history. It means NOTHING.

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Someone has.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

He will probably get in eventually, but I don't think he deserves it on his own.

wavethatflag likes this.
  22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Considering that he had 8 top 10 US hit songs, and 11 top 40 hits, and he has toured now for 25 years, I don't see why he shouldn't be in the R&R Hall of Fame.

23. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Neither one is in yet? Then I would think that both can be voted in then at the same time, no? The Monkees are great and certainly deserve it, as does Ringo.

24. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Considering the LONG list of more deserving acts who still aren't in yet, much less not even making a ballot...HELL YES.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Let Em In

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.