A case for Ringo Starr's induction in the Rock Hall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheTaxman, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Brother, you've got me convinced!! Yes!

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Leon Russell?

mmars982 likes this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

When is Pete Best getting in?

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

What not just create a category called Beatles related and make it transparent?

You could create a ballot the looks something like this.

Pete Best
    Stu Sutcliffe
    Klaus Voorman
    Yoko
    Linda McCartney
    Billy Preston
    Tony Sheridan
    Mark Lewisohn
    Eric Clapton (Again for playing on When My Guitar Gently Weeps)
    Abby Road Studios
    The Cavern Club
    India
    L.S.D.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Scott222C and lifes_a_Blast25 like this.
  5. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

OK, but he could have been inducted for his hits, considering he's had more than others who've already been inducted.

theMess likes this.
  6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm not the only fan I've talked to who feels this way. In fact, I got the "John is now marginalized" lingo from someone else; I did not invent it. It is true that these days it is Paul McCartney who is considered to be "The Beatles" by many Macca-maniacs. Just look at this forum.

That's your feeling; others agree with you, and others do not. We've talked about this in other threads, but John technically released only 7 proper studio albums in the 7 years he was recording. That is not a very long time, yet with those 7 albums he has 2 "Classics", and at least 3 "good albums" (5 of 7). He also had some successful singles, including a #1 -- which is more than almost any other artist could ask for within the same parameters.

And a MUCH better case than most others who've been inducted into the HOF.

7. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

India is perhaps just a tad too large to fit in the RnRHoF, but it'd be cool to see Ravi Shankar in there.

John Fell likes this.
  8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It is what it is. That's like saying The Beatles wouldn't have had any hits if not for meeting Brian Epstein and George Martin.

It's also like saying Elvis doesn't belong in the HOF because everyone else wrote all his hit songs, and the Jordanaires helped on the recordings.

By the way, Ringo's solo hits are good songs (and he wrote or so-wrote some!). They're not just riding coattails.

theMess and Zeki like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Pete Townshend should have been in before Ringo.

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm curious - did Pete have more solo hits than Ringo...?

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Don't really care. His songs and lyrics are more interesting.

12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

That's not what I asked, if you cared or not. I don't care about 90% of those artists who've already been inducted into the RNRHOF.
    It has to be more objective than that.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't know that charting placings or albums sales of either artist.

However, the process is not objective as is and it is political besides.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, you're right about that one. Leon can't headline venues as big as the ones Ringo plays, but he can definitely tour solo and headline shows...

15. Oatsdad

Paul gets more discussion than John because he's alive and active. Paul has 34 years more work than John and tours - of course he's going to be discussed a lot more.

I don't agree than many people here regard McCartney as "the Beatles". I think you see slights against Lennon where none exist...

Some others? Yes. Most others? No.

Like I said, I still think Lennon "maybe" deserved induction. I don't strongly agree with the choice, but I don't strongly disagree either...

superstar19 likes this.
  16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm not referring to 'amount of discussion', I have been referring to putting John down and building Paul up, in practically any discussion.

Slights against John exist right in your own words here, for starters.
    But I think it's fair to say too, that there are even more forum members who perceive slights against McCartney where none exist; a lot of people get up in arms when anyone even dares to say anything even remotely non-worshipping of The Mighty Macca.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Am I in the wrong thread?

18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Conversation tends to ebb and flow. And actually, I suppose the other three Beatles are inevitable to come up whenever discussing something like Ringo's HOF induction. (Someone else brought up the comparisons to Lennon and McCartney's worthiness of the HOF as compared to Ringo).

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I suppose. Personally, I get weary of seeing these guys pitted, and matched up, against each other all the time. But I guess that's just the way it will always be!

theMess likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

In other words, you perceive John being put down and Paul built up. I don't see the same thing.

You perceive slights in my words. I don't see the same thing...

21. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

22. Oatsdad

There's an eloquent argument.

Rather than roll your eyes, how about you present these clear, obvious slights I committed against Lennon?

23. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

If not as a solo act, but as a drummer, he deserves it. Huge influence on rock music drumming styles to this day. The William the Conqueror of drummers.

Plus, there was Caveman.

jeatleboe likes this.
  24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think you know well enough by now that I am fully competent in holding up my own end of an argument. But I thought I'd let you off the hook by NOT doing that, and keeping things quieter by just rolling my eyes, and letting things return to Ringo Talk. But since you insist... go back and read your own posts here. ("Paul - YES ... John - MAYBE"...). Or just go into any thread where we're discussing Lennon and where you consistently put down both him and his solo work.

25. Oatsdad

Saying "maybe" John should be in the HOF is a "slight"? I "consistently" put down John and his work? :crazy: :wtf:

Again: I put down/slight John in your mind. Not agreeing with you that John is the greatest doesn't equal "slight"/"putting down"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.