"A Clockwork Orange" 4k restoration vs blu-ray source

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by C6H12O6, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Is it improved over the previous release?

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It looks amazing in hi-def. It was filmed on 70mm so there's a LOT of detail :righton:

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

makes me like the 4K even more...

4. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Interesting....
    which is the best format (VHS, DVD, old BR) to watch this film?

5. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Forum Resident

Clockwork? The old Blu-ray is the same transfer as the new one. If you have the DVD, you're fine, in my opinion.

6. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Dr Strangelove is Sony.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There is, thankfully, a lot more of that going on in the last few years The Frank Capra box from a few years ago was multi-studio. The recent Hepburn-Tracy box set has Warner, Universal, Sony, and Fox controlled titles all in one package.

8. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

The Capra Premiere collection consisted of Columbia/Sony titles only. You might confuse it with the Kazan Collection, which had titles by Fox (the distributor), Warner and Sony.

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, unless you want to hear Beethoven in Dolby Digital, I'd go with the Blu-ray.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Sorry, I did indeed mean the Kazan "presented by Martin Scorsese" set. I had just been watching the Hepburn/Tracy set, and the Universal controlled "State of the Union" put "Capra" in my addled brain.

11. JA Fant

As above, Much Thanks!

12. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

If you're watching it on a small screen, maybe, but then you needn't buy Blu-rays at all if that's the case.

A Clockwork Orange may not be a stellar transfer but it still has miles more resolution than the DVD. I'm watching on a 50" plasma and I've yet to find a Blu-ray that isn't significantly better than the same movie on DVD, no matter good the DVD might be. If I ever do find a Blu-ray that bad I'll certainly be sending it back!

13. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Anyone saying that Lyndon wasn't meant to be projected in 1.66:1 should read this from Kubrick
    [​IMG]

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

15. JA Fant

16. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think that is something many forget completely.

Screen size, viewing distance and even more so, Eyesight (( corrected or not )) factor into how detailed or improved a Blu-Ray looks immensely.

Ive seen DVDs played on large projection screens (( around 100" )) and the comments about DVD looking "good enough" really seem extreme. Its not that you cant see an improvement on average sized screens, but the improvement is far bigger as the screen size increases.

On a small screen, eyesight honestly plays into it a tremendous amount, as the tiny details and stuff are displayed in a very small size.

On huge screens the tiny details literally are far bigger, and the ability to see the details is far easier, even for someone with mildly bad eyesight.

17. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

You can make old films looks good. It's a non issue. Just compare the difference between Aliens old transferts and the new Blu-ray.

Clockwork Orange on Blu is a piece of crap. As is 2001 (Edge Enhancement ringing). That they look better than DVD is not sufficient, these people are doing to films what Loudness War does to music.

Leon Vitali have NO qualification ever, other than barking louder than people around, as Kubrick legacy supervisor. He is simply, UNCOMPETENT, and UNPROFESSIONAL. He is quite simply, in clear terms, botching up the Kubrick Legacy.

18. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

You again, David?

19. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Yes small world when it comes to this debate LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.