A compliment to Steve from an unlikely source

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doug Hess Jr., May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

While my wife loves the Hotel California and Eagles Greatest Hits DCC discs she got for Christmas, she still thinks I'm a nut for always owning three or four copies of the same CD in my quest for the best. The other day, however, I came home from work and found my case with Steve's Awesome 80s, Suddenly 70s, and many other DCC, Razor and Tie and MCA CD's open in the living room. She said she knew I had them, but really wondered if they sounded any different, but hadn't had the time to listen. Unlike my normal "Hey honey, sit down here and listen to how much better this is" setup, this was all by herself. Needless to say, she was thoroughly impressed. She said she could definitely tell a difference and that they sounded so much better than my other collections.
    So while I expect those of us who have joined the forum say nice things, I think it's an even greater compliment when a non-member (who still thinks I'm a nut for my music collection being so large) can tell how great Steve's work is.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My wife is aware of the importance of mastering as well. I just had to play some of Steve's work for her and she was sold.

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

All I generally get is "are you writing to and about those music people again?" :laugh:

4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

My wife's a believer now, too!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Even my 15 year old Son can tell the difference!:thumbsup:
    I did an a/b with him and he always picked Steve's versions. He claims to hear Steve's distinct style...I've played them enough times!:laugh:

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My wife, instead of reaching for the regular Al Green CDs, always picks the DCC one. She can tell a difference, but she still doesn't *care* that much about sound quality.

She's only paid attention to about 20 or so of my more than 3000+ CDs, and has zero interest in vinyl.

7. My girlfiriend commented when I played her Steve's 10CC - Original Soundtrack. She was most impressed with "One Night In Paris" and "I'm Not In Love". "It sounds like the band is in your living room." :)

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

What!

Do you guys really let your partners touch your DCC?!

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

O.K., self-aggrandizing time. :D

Thanks to me, my wife now understands the importance of mastering. Before she became witness to my addiction, she listened to music either on a boombox, on a cassette in the car, or on the car radio. She never thought about mastering. However, when I started playing various versions of CDs for her on the home systems, her jaw dropped. No joke, it was a revelation for her. Just today, I played for her the Expanded Edition CD of Huey Lewis and The News Sports and the original Japanese black-triangle CD, and she couldn't believe how bad the Expanded Edition is. She was floored that a 20-year-old CD could be better than the current remaster. If nothing else, my wife understands my obsession. :)

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Nope! :D Seriously, my wife knows that such discs are worth money, and she doesn't want to handle them as a result. Heck, I rarely handle these discs. I use CD-Rs most of the time. My wife is allowed to touch the CD-Rs. :D

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Hey, at least she understands that it's better than chasing other women!

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.