A friend made me sit down and watch Galaxy Quest. What a funny movie!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jkauff, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I always laugh at the line, "Well, forget that!!"

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

To me, this is the best movie Tim Allen ever made. And one of the few where he really had to do some honest acting.

Jarleboy, Remurmur, sunspot42 and 4 others like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's on top for me as well... I' liked Tim in all of the movies I've seen him in...he makes me laugh.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I remember being surprised at just how funny and clever the movie was! I was going in expecting a laugh or two here and there but I really laughed quite a bit.

If you're a Star Trek fan, you absolutely need to see it.

Remurmur and No Static like this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Oddly I've not seen this yet. I guess I should get it, blu ray is under $8.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Very odd indeed. Get thee to a GalaxyQuestery...

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This movie has an amazingly rich cast of supporting characters who are much more famous now-Enrico Colantoni, Rainn Wilson, Missy Pile, Justin Long, etc. But Alan Rickman takes the movie to the next level.

Comet01, Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

I saw this movie in a theater in San Diego when it first came out. When it ended it got a standing ovation from the audience.

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Remurmur, sunspot42 and GuildX700 like this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Super funny movie...

12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Very funny movie. The "red shirt" character, Guy, is one of the funniest parts. One of my favorite bits from the movie:

[​IMG]

Remurmur and Vidiot like this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I just watched the blu ray and loved it. Great movie:edthumbs:

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Great film. Saw it in the theater near the end of its run. Went in with low expectations and was blown away. Not only is it funny as hell, but the extremely clever ending (*two* unexpected twists) is one of the best I've seen in any sci-fi film. The best Star Trek film since the 4th one, by far...

Dunno why they didn't make a sequel. It was a pretty big hit and a hilarious concept - they could have easily milked it for another couple of flicks.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Well...I know I did ...:)

16. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I am a huge Star Trek fan so I not only loved the internal references and in jokes and but I also thought it was well written and very well played by the cast.

Like Spinal Tap, it was done as a sendup but was done lovingly by people who genuinely respected the original article.

I love it ...:)

Comet01, Chris DeVoe and Vidiot like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

As was said earlier, they're doing more than a sequel... they're turning Galaxy Quest into a series:

http://deadline.com/2015/04/galaxy-quest-series-paramount-television-1201413544/

I'm sure it'll be an all-new cast, but it's still a funny idea. I love what George "Sulu" Takei said about Galaxy Quest: "To me, that film is not fiction... it's a disturbing documentary of what actually happened!" (Or words to that effect.)

It's a fantastic send-up of the TV business, of the plight of talented actors who get stereotyped into a goofy role forever, about nutty fans who get obsessed about sci-fi shows, about the whole business of fan conventions, about how a lot of the shows' writing makes no frigging sense, and all the silly conventions (like the red-shirt ensigns who are the only people who ever get killed off). Absolutely hilarious movie, and one that goes beyond just the laughs and makes you stop and think once in awhile.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I saw it in the theater when it came out, own it on disc, but the best time we saw it was at the World Science Fiction Convention in Chicago. This was an audience who loved this film, and got all the jokes. They recognized themselves in the fans, but it was done with warmth, unlike a lot of lesser spoofs.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

More info about the TV series.

Amazon Studios is now developing the Galaxy Quest show with Paramount Television. Robert Gordon – who co-wrote the film – is returning to write and executive produce the pilot, with director Dean Parisot back onboard as well. At this early stage, it’s not clear if the show will start fresh or attempt to continue on the storyline as depicted in the film. However, it’s unlikely that many of the actors will return for the show, though nothing official has been announced either way.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

It might be worth Tim Allen getting out the crappy show he is in now to do this ! I could see Enrico Colantoni coming back though!

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup, that sums it up for me...WAY better than I expected...

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm pretty sure Amazon is gonna go with an entirely new cast.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/galaxy-quest-series-amazon-development-1201508141/

It's amusing that Paramount (through their brief partnership with Dreamworks) owns the show, and they also own Star Trek -- the show clearly being spoofed.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool movie. I like Tim Allen.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm not a big fan of his.... BUT, I do LOVE this movie, and "Big Trouble"!!

25. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

This is really a great film and I never get tired of watching it. One of those magical combinations of a great concept, script, cast and crew that just works really well.

Comet01, sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.