a-ha Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thurenity, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Scoundrel Days sounds amazing on vinyl, one of my faves, wish the later catalog was on vinyl, hoping someday it might be.

bru87tr and LarsO like this.
  2. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

a-ha meets depeche mode!

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

My apologies to a-ha fans for pulling a cheap shot with this bump. I've been a huge a-ha fan ever since the first album came out. I've just received this Royksopp ep and thought I'd post this link for those who have yet to hear this incredibly talented duo. Why post this here? To me the song sound like something a-ha could have come up with. I hope you enjoy. :)

LivingForever likes this.
  4. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

5. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

A-ha has a big announcement coming up for their 30th anniversary.

I've heard there is going to be a super deluxe edition of Hunting High and Low! Five discs, apparently. And some more goodies.

LarsO and RobCos02330 like this.
  6. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

I'm curious about the mastering of the upcoming 30th anniversary super duper deluxe edition of "Hunting High and Low" maybe it'll be the same is the 25th anni version. Which was an awesome Job, done by Bill Inglot, I enjoy "Hunting" and Scourndel Days a lot and looking forward for "Stay on these Roads"!

7. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I went to their site to look into this but all I got was a loop of the South Africa concert video without any way to get past it. Any others having this problem?

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I think it's their Facebook or Twitter pages that have "newer" news.......

It seems like the official websites are the last to get updated these days....

9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Ah...I see. Not much of a social media type other than this forum but I'll have a look. Greatly appreciate your taking the time.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wish they'd release that Rock In Rio show on DVD, even if the quality from whatever tapes they have isn't pristine. I think fans would enjoy having a professionally 'cleaned-up' version in any way it was made available.

Hopefully next-year's show won't be a one-off.

11. jsayers

They are in 2015 as part of one of the DE's.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Huh. I didn't see any confirmation on that? Although I don't really pay attention to CD release news anymore. Wonder if it will come out as a standalone thing at some point. I have the Live At Valhall DVD and the Farewell DVD, but I have no idea what A-Ha live was like during their initial run, outside of some poor-quality YouTube clips.

13. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

It has been confirmed that "Live In South America" will be included on a DVD as a part of the deluxe edition of East Of The Sun West Of The Moon. This is a movie by Lauren Savoy. Live audio is from the 1991 tour. Footage is sometimes a mix of several gigs from that tour on each song. Originally released on VHS in 1993.

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Yeah, the continuity is all over the place on Live in South America. ;)

15. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I guess the trick is not to expect a concert video in the traditional sense but rather live audio with an art film documenting the tour.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I love it, but as I've remarked on here before, when I first bought it and stuck it on, back in 1993, I was initially bewildered.

17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I consider Live In South America to be halfway between Rattle and Hum and 101. I much prefer watching Homecoming and its extras. To me that is the definitive a-ha concert film. Ending On A High Note felt contrived and left me really cold. I gave my set to a friend who's a fan. What I'd love to see is a DVD by Savoy. That I would pay for. I am looking forward to those Deluxe Editions. The one I am truly waiting for is Memorial Beach.

18. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I have always enjoyed A-Ha but never saw the band live. That will change in October, as I've been able to get a ticket to one of their upcoming concerts in Brazil. I'll be glad to listen to their new songs, a well as to rediscover older tracks.

ARK likes this.
  19. jsayers

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for that unboxing clip!

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for the share of the E.P. from Royksopp.

Simon A likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

23. jsayers

Can you spot the differences to the original version?

24. jsayers

From the SuperDeluxeEdition website :

Looks like yet another career-spanning greatest hits will be upon us March 18th - "Time And Again - The Ultimate a-ha". But this 2 cd set has a kicker - the 2nd cd is all unreleased and rare remixes, and it looks pretty dang good, too.

[​IMG]

Disc One: Hits
    • 1. “Take On Me”
    • 2. “The Sun Always Shines On TV”
    • 3. “Hunting High and Low”
    • 4. “I’ve Been Losing You”
    • 5. “Cry Wolf”
    • 6. “Manhattan Skyline”
    • 7. “The Living Daylights”
    • 8. “Stay On These Roads”
    • 9. “You Are The One”
    • 10. “Crying In The Rain”
    • 11. “Move to Memphis”
    • 12. “Dark Is The Night For All”
    • 13. “Summer Moved On”
    • 14. “Forever Not Yours”
    • 15. “Lifelines”
    • 16. “Celice”
    • 17. “Analogue”
    • 18. “Foot of the Mountain”
    • 19. “Under the Makeup”
    Disc Two: Remixed
    • 1. “Take On Me” (Kygo Remix)
    • 2. “The Sun Always Shines on TV” (Future Funk Squad’s ‘Radiant 4K’ Remix)*
    • 3. “Cry Wolf “ (Jellybean Mix)*
    • 4. “Touchy!” (House Mix)*
    • 5. “You Are The One” (Dub Mix Edit)*
    • 6. “Blood That Moves The Body” (Three-Time Gun Mix)*
    • 7. “Summer Moved On” (Remix)
    • 8. “Minor Earth Major Sky” (Black Dog Mix)
    • 9. “Velvet” (New York Mix)
    • 10. “Lifelines” (Boogieman Remix)
    • 11. “Did Anyone Approach You” (Reamped)
    • 12. “Celice” (Mauracher Remix)
    • 13. “Analogue” (CG’s Electrosphere Edit)
    • 14. “Cozy Prisons” (Aural Float Remix)
    • 15. “Nothing Is Keeping You Here” (Steve Osborne Remix)
    • 16. “Butterfly, Butterfly (The Last Hurrah)” (Steve Osborne Version)
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...-2cd-set/?mc_cid=718f3bf968&mc_eid=84f1912446

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...=B01BK4R4DU&linkCode=as2&tag=superdeluxeed-21

I really dig this mix of "Take On Me" :

With the band’s Cast in Steel tour about to kick off in Russia early next month, Norwegian pop legends a-ha will release a new compilation that gathers their biggest hits from all ten of their studio albums and pairs it with a bonus disc of rare and unreleased remixes.

Time and Again: The Ultimate a-ha contains 35-tracks across two CDs, with disc one packed with all the usual favourites and brought right up to date with the inclusion of Cast in Steel’s Under The Makeup, a song that already sounds like a classic.
    Committed fans will likely be most interested in the second CD within this set, since there’s some very interesting remixes featured, including the unheard Jellybean remix of Cry Wolf – created in 1986, but never used. Similarly, a ‘House Mix’ of Touchy is included, along with an edit of the unreleased-on-CD Justin Strauss ‘Dub Mix’ of You Are The One. The ‘Three-Time Gun Mix’ of The Blood That Moves The Body was created for the 1992 reissue of the single (to promote the Headlines and Deadlines compilation) but never issued.
    A canny selection of rare remixes from the noughties rounds off CD 2, including the stunning ‘Reamped’ version of Did Anyone Approach You (a 2002 German-only single from Lifelines), and the ‘Aural Float Mix’ of Cosy Prisons, whichsees its CD debut here, having been digital-only (and exclusive to Germany) in 2006.
    Another single not issued in the UK, 2005’s Celice, was remixed to death at the time, with mostly tedious extended outings issued on white labels, 12-inch vinyl and CD singles, which I’m sure must have sounded great in ‘the clubs’. Thankfully, these are ignored and the brooding and rocky ‘Mauracher Remix’ (another CD debut) gets the nod for Time and Again.
    The much hyped ‘Kygo Remix’ of Take On Me is also included and that’s probably very much a ‘marmite’ version of the classic 1985 single – you’ll either love it or hate it.
    Time and Again: The Ultimate a-ha is released on 18 March 2016. There is no one-CD variant, just the 2CD set.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    c-eling likes this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for update on Time and Again 2xCD news!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.