A possible undocumented White album variation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: White Album findings...

The last thing I wanna do is create more confusion, but it's definitely not laminated. None of the LPs I got in that lot were. I can tell you this with certainty, though...that -50 after the tape sequence number in the run-out of Side 1 is definitely not a lacquer number. The system had clearly changed by this time, and I have no idea what THAT means!

Doesn't sound like a bad idea at this point! :)

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Sounds good. It seems earlier "Important Notice" inners use blue print that was later switched to black print. I think it's safe to say these were 1970s inners that didn't survive into the 1980s.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Mine is the "Dark" Apple only without the "Sold in the UK" and the number looks exactly like the number that you show.

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Tom

Based on that, and what I was reliably informed about the early reissues, I'd say you have a reissue that probably dates from late 1969.

As your reissue has a relatively *low* number I can only assume then that the 7-digit numbering must have started all again for the first reissues.

Then later, at some point early-mid 70s, they must have started again with the 6 digit numbers. The question is WHEN?!

Cheers,

Kipper

5. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: Re: White Album findings...

That makes two of us who have no idea what it means :laugh:

I will double-check that early 80s White Album again but I'm pretty sure it's laminated. I've spent soooo much time today looking at all my Beatles records, it's very late over here (4.30 am), my head is full and I can't think straight now :D

Hmmm. The -50-1-1 must mean something to do with the lacquers surely? Then again perhaps not. I must admit now I think about it I'd find it hard to believe they were using the 50th lacquer when the others are -6 or -2 and what looks like -3 variant on that pressing.

Regards

Kipper

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: White Album findings...

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me at all if your's is laminated! Maybe it's possible these particular pressings were issued both ways given this seems to be around the time the switch was made to non-laminated covers.

The -50 probably does refer to a lacquer in some way, but there's no way it's an actual lacquer number...way, way too high. Obviously, we need to understand the whole series "-50-1-1" to get the big picture regarding the lacquer sourced for this side. Given it's an early 1980s pressing, though, why bother? I doubt I could figure it out, anyway! The original EMI system applies to pressings up through the 1970s, and that covers plenty enough for me! Where the early 1980s pressings are concerned, I'm content just playing them without even thinking about the matrix information. For the money, those copies have pretty decent sound. Nobody ever seems to gripe about the sound of their blue boxes.

7. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: White Album findings...

I was also quite content to play my Beatles LP's without even looking at the matrix info until the discussions on this Forum began to stir curiosity!!!

Let's face it, ANY of the vinyl reissues pre-digital are far better than the CD's :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.