A quick Patti Smith story from last night's reading

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by maxnix, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What a fabulous story. Great moment.

2. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

What an incredible story. Thanks so much for passing it on!

3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

C6H12O6 likes this.
  4. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful moment with my favorite female rocker.

5. tortoised

tortoised Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident Thread Starter

yikes!

C6H12O6 and Echo like this.
  7. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

That's pretty great, love Patti!

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great story. Life can be magical sometimes.

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I saw this thread forwarded on Twitter too.

I'll echo everyone else......thanks for this thread. I'm happy for Patti.

10. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks . . I was in the center and couldn't hear what the woman was saying . . the Tribune article linked above certainly fills in the blanks. All that said, it was a magical moment I'm glad I saw and I'm happy so many of you here appreciated it. Thanks guys.

11. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. What an amazing story!

12. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Sometimes life's moments can surprise and delight. Great story!
    Patti Smith rocks!

13. shiverbones

shiverbones Forum Resident

maxnix likes this.
  14. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Just thought I'd let everyone know the CBGB Facebook page just shared the Dangerous Minds post. This is going viral very quickly, and it's funny how the Dangerous Minds post labelled this the "Steven Hoffman Forums" :laugh: what a great story though hopefully some video will get posted on YouTube, I'd love to see Patti's reaction.

15. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Know what's great? I immediately discounted the idea of this being staged simply because of my knowledge of it being Patti Smith. You know there's no way she'd allow that to occur, as she has real integrity. I'm not the hugest fan of her music, but I have no doubt about her resistance to BS

16. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm with you on that.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

19. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Wow - what an amazing story. Patti is amazing - it's fantastic that she got her things back, especially the bandanna. Memories are priceless. Thanks for posting this.

keyXVII likes this.
  20. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Amazing, extraordinary story.

I was just reading Just Kids recently.

21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

22. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Amen to that. Patti and BS simply don't mix!

What a brilliant story though. After all this time, to have her things returned. That's really special.

23. needmorerecords

needmorerecords New Member

Fan returns items stolen from singer Patti Smith in 1979: 'A very tender moment'

[​IMG]

A fan of Patti Smith, shown in July, said she returned some personal items to the singer Sunday when she was talking about her new book "M Train" at Dominican University. Noreen Bender said she had the items in her possession for decades.

Noreen Bender said for decades she has kept a sheer top, a remembrance cloth and other accessories tucked away in a Bob Dylan merchandise bag, waiting for just the moment to return the items to her idol.

Bender, 56, finally got the chance Sunday at Dominican University, where punk rocker Patti Smith held a discussion of her new memoir "M Train."

"I knew I had to get it back to her. It's not for a stranger," said Bender, who lives in the west suburbs.

At the Dominican talk, Smith identified the sheer top as the one she donned on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine for the July 27, 1978 issue. The cloth belonged to her brother and road manager, Todd Smith, who died in 1994, she said. Smith, 68, did not return Tribune requests for comment.

"It was just a very tender moment," said audience member Catherine Forster, a Crystal Lake artist.

The items, whose authenticity could not be confirmed by the Tribune, may be tied to a theft of a Ryder rental truck used by Smith's band after the group played a show at the Aragon in June 1979.

The truck, which carried about $40,000 in amplifiers, guitars and other musical equipment, was stolen outside of a Gold Coast hotel, according to a Tribune article at the time. Jeff Shaw, then a member of Smith's stage crew, said he spent the night at the hotel and the truck was gone in the morning.

[​IMG]

Shaw said he called the police and to his knowledge, the items in the truck were never returned.

"We had to buy all brand-new equipment after receiving insurance money," Shaw told the Tribune by phone Monday.

It's unclear what happened to the truck. A spokeswoman for Ryder said its consumer rental business was sold to the Budget Group (owner of Budget rental cars) nearly 20 years ago. A Budget spokesman said the company has no Ryder files of this type from 1979. Shaw also recalled a December 1979 theft in Chicago of a rental truck full of sound and musical equipment belonging to singer-guitarist Rick Derringer. A Derringer rep did not return a Tribune request for comment.

Bender said she came in possession of the items decades ago through a male friend of her Chicago roommate at the time. The man, whom Bender would not identify, worked for U-Haul, she said. He brought a suitcase full of Smith's goods to her home and she and her roommate, whom she also would not identify, divided them up.

[​IMG]

"I just thought, 'Oh my god, these are her clothes and they still have her sweat on them,' " Bender said.

Bender said she held on to the items and waited for the perfect time to give them to Smith. It didn't seem right to throw the clothes on stage during one of her concerts, Bender said, because she didn't want the items to get lost in the commotion. She said she waited until Sunday night, when her hands shook as she met Smith.

"The feeling of making your hero happy, it was a moment. It was the highlight of my life," Bender said.

[email protected]

Echo likes this.
  24. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

C6H12O6, Echo and Scopitone like this.
  25. Scopitone

Scopitone She had ribbons ribbons ribbons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.