A simple deep-cleaning record soaking technique...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phil Thien, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident Thread Starter

I googled album soaking, but didn't find anyone else doing it quite like this, figured I'd pass this along.

I use an Audio Technica pad and DIY fluid (80% filtered water, 20% iso) to clean records before each play. This works great on albums that are already fairly clean.

For used/bargain-bin records I've just acquired, though, I perform my initial cleaning with those disposable cotton makeup pads (so as not to contaminate my Audio Technica pad with God knows what) + my fluid. I do this on a sheet of plastic I have near my turntable.

I'll then play the album and if it shows promise (I like the performance and no groove damage), I will then deep-clean the album thusly:
    1. With the album on my spinning turntable, I apply a fat bead of my fluid to my Audio Technica cleaning pad, and apply this to the album, making certain I've covered the entire playing area.
    2. I immediately toss an old beater album on top of the now-wet album I'm cleaning.
    3. I pickup both albums as a stack, and flip it. Now side 2 of the album I'm cleaning is facing up and the beater album is on my platter.
    4. I put another fat beat of fluid on my pad and apply that to this side of the album.
    5. Again, I immediately toss another beater album on top, and I now have the album I'm cleaning covered with my fluid on both sides, sandwiched between the two beater albums. These beater albums are preventing my fluid from evaporating.
    6. I let this sandwich sit anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or two (no, I don't get mold/mildew, the alcohol prevents that).
    7. When I'm ready, I remove the top beater album and use my pad with a little fresh fluid to perform a more typical cleaning of that side.
    8. Once that side has air dried, I remove the other beater album and repeat step #7 for this side of the album.
    This technique isn't fast, but I only buy a couple of albums every week or so, and the method does a remarkable job at getting albums very clean/quiet, without any special record cleaning machines or fluids required.

2. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

Nice one, everyone hates a dirty record, do you not rinse ‘em off with anything?

3. Phil Thien

Nope, because I'm using only water + alcohol, there is no residue left behind. I basically just use the pad to remove the bulk of the fluid, then let it air-dry (which happens quickly, because there isn't much left).

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Interesting technique. After the fluid has evaporated, where does the dirt go?

bever70 likes this.
  5. Phil Thien

The soaking loosens the stubborn stuff and everything is mopped up with a final cleaning with the pad.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I question how effective the AT pad is at completely removing the dirt. I know that when I mop the kitchen floor, there is always some crap left behind that I have to get with a paper towel or rag.

I do like your idea about sealing the fluid between beater records though. Add in a step using a record vacuum, and I think it could be very effective indeed.

bever70 likes this.
  7. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

Well, it's obviously working for you.

I only asked because I read something about particles getting left in the grooves after cleaning, I use one of those disco-antistat things which seems to work ok, but I always give 'em a good rinsing with distilled water after.

I'm more or less happy with the sound of my audio system now so my next purchase will probably be a record cleaner of some sort, my older records are filthy. :shake:

8. Phil Thien

Yep well no vacuum here. The pad works well enough with soaking that I think I’ll skip the vacuum and if I do anything with a cord, it will be an ultrasonic machine.

9. Phil Thien

I feel like this works pretty well, and that to get to the next level will take ultrasonic. That might be my Xmas present to myself.

Harrocks and Jimmy Disco D like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.