“A Star Is Born” Remake w/ Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper To Lead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I didn’t accuse her of being has-been; that was said about McCartney by someone else. But, similar to McCartney, it does appear she has already peaked in terms of popularity and stardom. Perhaps the movie will change that.

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Maybe the forum can help me out here. Which is worse, to be rude or to be dishonest?

xeplica likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, you didn't use the specific term "has-been", but I thought you implied it with comments about how she's riding the movie as part of her 15 minutes of fame.

At this point in her career, I can see Gaga becoming like Cher. She doesn't sell records like she used to, but she still moves tons of concert tickets and she remains a major star.

If Gaga successfully branches into acting, that extends the Cher analogy even more.

I don't think Gaga will ever be the pop phenomenon she was 8-10 years ago, but I can see her nestling into the position I described.

With her last album, this movie and other choices like the Oscars, I get the strong impression she's attempting to transition into a career that doesn't rely on #1 singles...

Witchy Woman and brownie61 like this.
  4. Witchy Woman

I don’t consider those terms interchangeable. She was super-popular and seemingly everywhere for awhile, almost like a cultural phenomenon. That’s why I said “15 minutes of fame.” But I believe it would be incorrect to call her, McCartney, the Gangham Style Guy, George Strait, etc. “has-beens” b/c that term has a different connotation.

Now before you pick apart my comments and call for a bully rally, I’m really done with this pointless exercise.

5. dmiller458

Selectively editing your own quote; you said 15 mins of fame from the previous decade.

6. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I've never paid much attention to Gaga; she's too obviously an exhibitionist. I'll be curious if she can pull this off.
    While I was pondering who and what type of people are attracted to the Lady G, yesterday a friend who is in her mid-fifties had her car radio on (quietly) and after exhausting her Hardanger fiddle CD, she began exulting to Ed Sheeran's big hit and I'm guessing this is the sort of station that would also play Gaga.
    So despite my friend being smart, mature and grounded, I guess she also likes to listen to what's currently popular, while I am stubbornly old-school.

7. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I think POTR, Lukas and Micah Nelson, are backing Lady G on this; it does have the makings of something good, and a possible new direction for Lady G

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It’s a film primarily about music, starring a notable musician.

9. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Checking the TCM database,no scheduled airing in the near future for the 1937 version.
    The 1957 version gets an airing 10/7,just two days after the premiere date of 10/5 for the new one. Small wonder,since Warner Bros.(in effect AT&T) owns the '57 version as well as TCM and is co-partnered with the 2018 version.
    And in just a few days,Fri. 8/17,the Streisand version,also owned by Warner,airs(actually Sat. 8/18@1AM) during a 24 hr. marathon of Streisand films.
    The new one has a pretty cheap budget for 2018 at $30 million. To put that into perspective,another Warner flick,The Meg,opened this weekend with a budget believed to be in the $130-180 million range(with heavy Chinese investment) and is just doing OK business. So,if the powers that be think ASIB has an Oscar scent they can promote the hell out of it and should get a pretty decent return in investment for all involved.
    And speaking of folks involved behind the scenes,Jon Peters, Streisand's old flame who got a credit on the '76 version,has his name in the mix on the new one. Stories suggest the 1976 credit was for little,if any,work,outside of living with Babs. What legal snafu got him a credit on the new one? Strange,too,as he had been effectively blacklisted after a $3.3 million settlement against him in a sexual harassment jury verdict from 2011. He was #metoo-ed before there was #metoo.

10. Oatsdad

Wow - I'm shocked "The Meg" had a $130 million+ budget. Based on the trailers, I assumed it was a pretty cheaply-made affair - maybe the $50m range, tops!

11. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Not a huge fan of musicals so I prefer the Michel Hazavinicius take on this story from 2011, The Artist.

12. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

The movie will be a big hit. Bradley will do a strong acting job. Gaga will be okay but slightly wooden. She doesn't have the range to knock it out of the park. In remaking a movie this many times, there's no element of surprise. You know the story line, even if tweaked a little for this latest version.

13. dmiller458

The legend takes the rookie under their wing and becomes their mentor. The student eventually becomes the master. It's a tale as old as storytelling itself. A Star is Born takes that premise and sets it in show biz.

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that would've been fascinating.....the mind boggles. if he did it hopefully elvis could sing better songs than kris (his songs on the album are pretty skippable)
    ps not talking about Kris's singing ability but the song selection (ooooof)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    RSteven and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Even if the movie had been no better than the Kris version, it would've made another huge "comeback" for Elvis.

the pope ondine likes this.
  16. the pope ondine

[​IMG]

ok, might not've looked exactly like that. but still@

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bradley Cooper! I'm in...my wife and I are huge fans of Bradley Cooper...

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't have to see the previews.. : ) Indeed...

19. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I can't believe how good Bradley Cooper's voice is in trailer #1.

I still love Barbra singing One More Look at You/Watch Closely Now in the movie. You can hate the movie, but that scene and vocal performance blew me away. I couldn't find the movie clip. What a voice.

Grant and the pope ondine like this.
  20. Oatsdad

"Artist" had definite "Star Is Born" elements, but I thought it also "borrowed" substantially from "Singin' in the Rain" and "Citizen Kane":

The Artist [Blu-Ray] (2011)

21. the pope ondine

babs picked her songs well, Paul Williams/Rupert Holmes know their way around a melody. I don't mind the movie, 70's cheese, id love the see the outdoor concert they filmed at released (I think Santana and some other bands played as well)

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

One big problem I had with the songs Streisand sang was that they didn't fit some of the scenes.

There's the sequence where John halts his concert so Esther can take the stage. She does this light pop song but still dazzles an angry crowd there to rock! :laugh:

The movie also tries to make Kristofferson a rock star with songs that don't "rock" by any standard...

23. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Let's see how she stands the test of time.

24. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

But he's not a has been. The Beatles still move massive amounts of units to this day!

25. Witchy Woman

That was one of my favorite parts. Powerful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.