A thread for fans of "The West Wing", here are some great clips...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

A kind Forum person sent me about 36 hours of THE WEST WING recently and I've been watching them at night, reminding myself why this was the best show ever on Network TV.

If you love the show, this clip has subtitles that translate what exactly the President was ranting to God in the landmark episode "Two Cathedrals".

Knowing exactly what he was saying really helps. Once again, this will only interest those fans of the show who know the plot line of this part of the series (deciding to run again, the death of his secretary, etc). I post this here simply to help you understand a bit more about his feelings at this critical moment.

Hope this finds fans of the show and clears a bit of air..

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'm not a fan and I watched it anyway.

I feel so dirty.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  3. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Thanks for the clip,Steve-great stuff.But, though I loved The West Wing, I still believe that Everwood was the best show ever on Network TV.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It was interesting. But I hadn't seen it since it was first broadcast and I didn't remember the Latin, so when I turned on the English subtitles early in the clip and saw what looked like the lyric transcription on import Japanese albums I thought you were making a little joke.

5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Thanks for that clip.
    I just ''discovered'' this show about three months ago (after I saw the equally fine "The Newsroom") and I think it was at times funny, moving with the odd moment being 'too smart' ("He's standing behind me, isn't he?") to be realistic. Sheen was an excellent and believeable president!

6. Steve Hoffman

For the 6 of you interested, this is the scene after the one in my OP.

Tex_Writer, MAYBEIMAMAZED and wayne66 like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

And the great montage that ended the episode. Enjoy:

Tex_Writer, MAYBEIMAMAZED and wayne66 like this.
  8. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Geez, I've forgotten how much and why I loved this show. Thanks for the reminder!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I think it is time to take out my West Wing DVD's and watch them again.

10. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Damn, that was good. Please post the rest of the series. ;-)

My DVDs left with my wife.

11. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, watching those little snippets really brings it back. Nothing like this today on Network TV. I didn't dare get the complete DVD box, afraid I would spend too much time watching every episode...

12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks Steve. That was a great episode. I remember it well and get goosebumps during both the Latin scene and the final, "Brothers in Arms" scene.

13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just watching these clips gave me the same idea! This series gave me the same feeling as the best episodes of MASH or Hill Street Blues; getting to know a bunch of interesting, funny and flawed people and getting attached to their characters.

Steve Hoffman and wayne66 like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What a perfect accounting of the reason this series existed: to remind people of why the institution matters, no matter how many forces want to see it diminished. It took a crew of artists to make the case that television itself
    can be a force for enlightenment and encouragement...if you don't just reward it for bringing you bread and circuses.

Now playing on http://www.arielstream.com/]Ariel Stream[/URL]: Chicane - Saltwater

15. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I haven't done a West Wing marathon viewing in about 2 years. This is a good reason to do so again. If it wasn't the best show ever on network tv, it's tied for first.

16. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for the link. It's a great clip. It tells me so much about the character, his position in life as well as his arrogance and anger...Fantastic tv!

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And I would also say this scene depicts how great cinematographer Thomas Del Ruth's lighting was, particularly for dramatic episodes like this. Beautiful, beautiful show -- for which he won two Emmys (and deservedly so).

I used to tell conservative friends of mine, "you gotta watch West Wing!" They would argue, "naaaa, I'm not gonna watch this crybaby liberal piece of crap," but I'd insist that one of the major points of the show was how flawed the Democrats were (within the show), and how many mistakes they made. Me, I'd vote for President Bartlett 1000 times before I'd vote for anybody who's been office in the last 40 years (since I've been voting).

I lost interest in the show after Aaron Sorkin left, and I don't think it was nearly as compelling. I only stopped when they brought in Jimmy Smits as the new Presidential candidate (and eventual election winner), because his character wasn't nearly as compelling and interesting as Martin Sheen's.

BTW, Rob Lowe's recent autobiography tells some interesting stories about the show, including his experience at being told he was the star of West Wing, only to have to kind of step aside when suddenly Martin Sheen -- who was supposed to only be an occasional guest star -- decided he wanted to be in every episode! Lowe claims he actually didn't mind, but did finally leave when he discovered that everybody on the show had gotten a raise except him, and felt that was disrespectful. I thought Lowe's character was very interesting, as was Bradley Whitford's.

18. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I used to love this show!:righton:

Tex_Writer likes this.
  19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I specifically signed up again with Netflix because they added the West Wing to instant streaming. This is one of the best dramatic episodes ever on network TV. Thanks for the translation.

20. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

It's available for streaming in HD from Netflix and Amazon prime.

21. Style Counts

Style Counts Active Member

And faith. Not being a person of faith myself, I marvel at how it seasons some people in the course of a lifetime.

22. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Count me as an avid fan of the entire series of West Wing. I remember this scene very well, and thought the use of this song was brilliant.

23. Steve Hoffman

YouTube has now branded me a fan of The West Wing and makes "suggestions" for me for short clips. This one happens to be one of my favorites. It's when Toby Z. was having writer's block working on the second inaugural and Sam brings in Will Bailey to help. Of course Toby is totally hostile but finally asks Will to write something that's 500 words and not one word more.

So in this scene, Will brings what he has written to Toby and Will reads Toby's efforts. They sit and read in silence and it thrilled me then and thrills me now just watching them read. Imagine ANYTHING on Network broadcast TV that has two smart people just sitting and reading. No sound effects, music, gun shots, jerky camera angles, anything. I love this clip so much.

Watch it bigger here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6dThamQZ7g

Tex_Writer and Vidiot like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Damn, that's a great scene. Note the Gordon Willis-style lighting where they're pounding the top of the table with light, and the bounce provides the fill for the actor's faces. Very subtle. I also love the camerawork, the 360-degree dollies and rack focuses, which work very well for key moments of their conversations. This was done just right in this scene; usually it's overdone and hokey.

25. Steve Hoffman

Yes, when you watch it full screen the Gordon Willis visual storytelling style is evident. Such a scene. I remember remarking to my wife when it was first aired that you don't see something like that on TV every day. Sadly, nothing since..

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.