A thread for new artist Courtney Barnett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

2. NapalmBrain

3. NapalmBrain

there's a pink vinyl limited to 500 copies of the double ep now in case anyone is late to the party or obsessive like myself. FYI listening now, and there isn't a noticeable drop in SQ from the black version

4. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Courtney is among my favorite new artists, a major talent for sure. I have the CD that combines the two eps, really looking forward to her first full album release.

5. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Youngest daughter got me into her a few months ago (thanks Jess) i had heard Anonymous Club and was interested
    but didn't know who it was . She played the Fly By Night on the 26/9 , my kids mentioned that they were going but
    i forgot to ask them how it went .

6. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Thought she was from Perth , especially Freo south to Mandurah , when i first heard her .

Double Ep , A Sea of Split Peas is the best Aussie album for a few years , agree that History Eraser
    is the best Aussie song for quite some time .

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  7. NapalmBrain

pre-order is up for debut "Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit". Deluxe lp is already sold out, im bummed im going to have to try to buy or trade for one secondhand once it comes out. I pre-ordered the lp + tote package last night

http://courtneybarnett.com.au/

8. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I saw her open up for Phosphorescent last year. I didn't even know who she was. But her show was fantastic! It was really easy to get into the actual songs without out ever hearing them before. The audience loved it. And then half of them left after and didn't even stick around for Phosphorescent. LOL Apparently I was the only one there that had not heard of her.

I did not run out and by the EP or anything. But. Of all the opening bands that I have seen over the years that have seemed like a waste of my time she was wonderful to watch. I am interested in the new LP.

9. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I was thinking of starting a new thread for "Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit" but figured since it was already mentioned here this was as good a place as any. I just discovered her a few months ago and really love her lyrics and wordplay.

Here is the only single released from the upcoming album to my knowledge for those who haven't heard it:

10. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Didn't they only make 100? That'll be a hard/expensive one to get.

11. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

New single released this week.

Mylene likes this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Local radio is getting behind it in a big way. I heard it on 774 and RRR last night and both DJs were raving.

BTW The video is shot in the Melbourne suburbs of Reservoir and Coburg. The real Preston is too upmarket ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    scotth likes this.
  13. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Just listened through to this on Spotify and it was really solid. My local shop has a bunch of the limited edition orange lps that will go out for sale tomorrow. Will have to swing by and pick it up.

14. NapalmBrain

ouch my tote bag showed up not the lp! I'm half tempted to buy the indie exclusive since it released a day earlier that usual in the states

15. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Nice slacker vibe. Reminds me a bit of Kurt Vile. I like this kind of music.

mschrist likes this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Much more rockin' than I thought it'd be (especially the first two songs), Great album. The hidden track made me jump!!

mschrist likes this.
  17. BeardedSteven

Really really digging this new LP. Picked it up at my local today. Orange vinyl with a free slipmat included. She really has a way with words and it makes me want to pay attention to what she's singing(or sing/talking). She's a clever one. I like this.

18. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I pre-ordered this from amazon and it is the orange vinyl fwiw. Does a black vinyl edition even exist? A lot of talk about all the different versions of this album. I wasn't able to play it as I got it just before I had to head to work. Any comments on pressing quality?

Did anyone get the special editions? Looks like there is a 2xLP version in the UK and Australia which seems funny as it is a pretty standard length album, so that's about 10 minutes of music per side. Is it 45rpm?

I listened to the album on youtube already and loved it. There are lots of slowed down .75 speed versions on there which is funny. Can't wait to spin it.

Received best new music and an 8.6 on pitchfork today as well as a 5 star review by the guardian.

19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I had pre-ordered the new one on CD a while back and Amazon just informed me that it has shipped, can't wait to hear it.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

21. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I'm loving the whole album but at the moment I am especially digging the slower jams Small Poppies and Kim's Caravan.

countingbackward likes this.
  22. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The new album is awesome! I saw her support Metronomy at Alexandra Palace just before xmas and she was very solid!

23. BeardedSteven

The download card that came with my LP gets you a 192kbps download... Why do they bother?

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

because anyone not a member here would be happy to have something for their ipod. just because you personally don't want it or think it's good enough doesn't necessarily make it so.

scotth likes this.
  25. BeardedSteven

192 is very lame in this day even for people not on this forum. Could at least be iTunes 256 quality. I do think this would be a good album to listen in the car which is why I wanted it on my phone. It is easily correctable tho so I will quit griping. Have a good day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.