A thread for new artist Courtney Barnett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

That's the thing that surprised me. This album rocks a lot harder than I thought it would have ... I really dig it two listens in.

mschrist and Mylene like this.
  2. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Just picked up the single disk Orange vinyl pressing (with free slipmat). Certainly are a lot of versions out there but glad I got the single disk pressing. Not a long enough album to make me want to change sides every 10 mins. And it sounds great. Perhaps a bit on the quiet side, but that just means I can really crank it and when the guitars kick in it really takes off.

3. BFrank

BFrank Forum Resident

4. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Holy cow, the new album is great! Usually I need to give new releases a few spins before making up mind. Not in this case...loved it instantly. Really catchy songs.

Ash76, countingbackward and BFrank like this.
  5. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Fantastic album. Small Poppies is everything I want in a song!

When I saw her live last summer, it seemed so different than the double EP in tone - where the double EP sounded folk rock-based with a somewhat rocking backing band, the live performance owed much more to Nirvana than to folk rock. The performance was absolutely thrilling - and this new album captures that sound much more faithfully than the double EP did. Barnett really seems like a rising star (if there is such a thing anymore).

Mylene, BFrank and scotth like this.
  6. I'll be kind this time does nothing for me

7. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Just finished listening to the album for the first time, i think my faith in rock & roll has been renewed, fantastic album. I was thinking of picking up the vinyl as well, but the CD sounds so good that i'm not gonna bother, don't care for the cover anyway.

8. stampie

stampie Forum Resident

9. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

orange vinyl unboxing...
    not me btw..

Mylene likes this.
  10. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Great album, but I'm very happy with the black 1 LP version.

Sounds excellent too.

11. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Hey - which store in Ottawa?

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

You need the hidden title track. Is that on the single album??

13. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

what do you mean, where is it hidden?

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

After Boxing Day Blues. On the CD (and according to the unboxing video above the double vinyl ) there's a long space and then a really slow song with the album's title in the lyrics.

15. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Cool. Wasn't on my single orange lp.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The guy also said the double album finishes with a locked groove (like Sgt Pepper and The Who Sell Out)

17. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I got the plain black vinyl last week...no secret track unfortunately but I love the album

18. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Is the orange vinyl 45rpm since its on 2 records?

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

20. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

KEXP posted a live performance of 4 songs from the new album that they were apparently holding onto from the same session they published last fall with only songs from the double EP.

21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Courtney is great, I was immediately drawn to her guitar work. Her new album is solid and it really offers something for everyone. There is a lot of bad music in the mainstream, but I'm so glad she is getting attention.

22. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

She was working the bar at my local only 18 months ago and now she's one of the music world's hottest new stars.
    She's hugely talented and has an amazing onstage charm and deserves all the success that's coming her way. The album is fantastic.

mschrist, countingbackward and Mylene like this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

24. Great album

25. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

I only recently discovered Courtney Barnett and wow she completely knocks me out. I was a huge fan of Pavement and Courtney sorta strikes me as Stephen Malkmus' little sister by way of Australia. Love her style and her sense of humor. And her lyrics are incredible. Can listen to her lyrics over and over and never get bored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.