A thread of musical ironies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's a kickoff:
    Email "Come Sail Away With Styx at the Saban Theatre"
    "...With megahits like "Mr. Roboto,"..."

OMG, probably the LAST song the current lineup would EVER play! I presume the band has not seen this bit of publicity :laugh:

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Bruce Dickinson saying there is no place for keyboards in heavy metal.... in 1985, right before Somewhere in Time, Iron Maiden's first use of synths.

Baidur, Frosst, altaeria and 3 others like this.
  3. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Ahh... Just trying to hook the audience with familiar songs...

As a huge Dead or Alive fan, it always gets me when the only song that gets mentioned regularly by them is "You Spin Me Round". Probably my least favorite song in their catalog, and the albums they released after "Youthquake" were amazing!

4. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

"I hope I die before I get old..."

and also:

[​IMG]

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr. Epstein", how's that for you here?
    Not musical, but somehow just had to mention this..

hazard, bzfgt, Galactus2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Come As You Are-"And I swear that I don't have a gun"

Nobody said they couldn't be tragic irony

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Musicman1998 I quoted your post about Iron Maiden earlier, but have to do some editing, gonna post my new one soon here..

8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

To be fair, he said "You can't play heavy metal on keyboards" to a guy saying he was trying to play heavy metal on keyboards.

9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Indeed, maybe he just had different musical approach and the acoustic-songs in his mind back then,songs which were never used (due to being not approved by other members of the band).
    About the video where Bruce says this thing ("You can't play heavy metal with synthesizers") at some nightclub/disco as seen on "Behind The Iron Curtain*" which is now part of the "Live After Death"-dvd,
    it must have felt keyboards and heavy metal wouldn't be good mix back those days but little did Bruce or anybody around those times knew what would happen. I bet he must regret a bit for saying that thing.
    Lucky for us anyways, as the use of keyboards really enhanced their soundscape and in fact those 2 albums (Somewhere In Time & Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son) are among their absolutely greatest works.

Apologies in advance for talking out of the context and matter, but have to comment still:

*That whole video of Maiden venturing to eastern-European countries is priceless and everytime I watch it, I really like the crowd and fans as they are so passionate (like we all are about our favorite band).
    I really dig the early times and tours, the whole excitement and passion that is there truly visible, it must have been so awesome experience for the people to seeing Maiden back then.
    Many good bits on there, the fans calling the guys names as they came out of the buss, the wedding, also the fan that says something about how the nights show is gonna be a best one that he's going to see.
    Unfornately, he's got a little problem there, he's got no tickets, so he asks them during the interview and gets them for himself and his friend.
    Great little documentary and I think I have to watch it again soon...

Up The Irons!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

At the time of releasing Old Ways, Neil Young says he's only interested in doing country music from here on out.

Next record, Landing on Water...

Lewisboogie, Moshe, Sean and 4 others like this.
  11. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

The Beatles "Money" & "Can't Buy Me Love". "Money don't get everything, it's true. But what it don't get, I can't use", "I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love".

13. but yet they signed the tremelo's wait for it here it comes a guitar group

MikaelaArsenault and head_unit like this.
  14. head_unit

Oh YES! I would LOVE to be able to go up to him sometime, remind him of that dialog, and say "But, er, Bruce, how about JON LORD?!?!" (who sometimes was as much the "guitar" sound of Deep Purple as Blackmore for heaven's sake).

Frosst, zen, SammyJoe and 3 others like this.
  15. head_unit

Well, Paul doesn't care about the money, he just wants his song catalog ha ha

16. head_unit

actual keyboards? Or did they use the "Judas Priest Excuse" that they were GUITAR synthesizers? (as though that somehow mattered...)

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Queen didn't want to use any synthesizer on their early albums.
    At that time Freddie often said in interviews that Brian's guitar sounds "warmer", which the band always prefers/prefered.
    Now, check out all their albums from The Game onwards...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Two of my favorite pop music ironies (or conundrums):

1. Most live rock albums are studio-overdubbed Frankenstein jobs. Most jazz studio albums are recorded live.

2. That exemplar of "Corporate Rock," Boston's debut, was largely a home recording by Tom Scholz. That totem of punk authenticity, NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS IT'S THE SEX PSITOLS, was recorded in the best studios with the best possible equipment.

McLover, Suncola, bcaulf and 17 others like this.
  19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Somewhere In Time" featured guitar synthesizers and "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" featured actual keyboards.

20. head_unit

Were those played offstage by Adam Wakeman or Claude Schnell? :rolleyes:

21. head_unit

And in one of those documentary shows, he said there was NO band, just him in his basement and then he got Brad Delp to do vocals. He said he put a "band" together because he felt the record company would totally freak out that this thing was all done in his basement! (And to tour-there are some GREAT shows out there from that first tour. I remember, speaking of ironies, that the band with the biggest selling debut album ever* then had trouble at least in Chicago selling tickets for their second tour, because people were mad it had taken so long to come out with a second album (which was not nearly as good).

*At least until Appetite For Destruction I *think*-I couldn't find a simple page with data to confirm this.

hi_watt and altaeria like this.
  22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

For what I know Michael Kenney is the only person who has played keyboards in live-concerts since Seventh Tour Of A Seventh Tour (1988).
    I think he's most of the time been non-visible while the concerts as he plays them backstage, but he appeared there on the stage for the song "Seventh Son Of A Seventh" dressed as "The Count".
    He can be seen there on stage and for example on the later tours (like Maiden England World Tour 2012-2014) he appeared again there on stage for the song.
    Some of the songs benefit actually from the keyboards in live-setting. He's also the bass-technician of Steve Harris.
    Michael Kenney - the Man Behind the Maiden

23. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

Irony Maiden

24. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

It's ironic that none of the things Alanis says are ironic in "Ironic" are actually ironic. They're just kind of irritating.

25. Freddie was asked about his. He said that synthesizers had developed a lot since he'd made that statement. It sounded like a convenient excuse to me, but it was interesting to see how he'd respond.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.